Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: smeagol ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 05:09PM

I'm not feeling like personally visiting my bishop in his office to tell him I'm done. I would rather email him. Do you think this method will cause any problems:

"Dave,

Rather than spend the time meeting with you and taking more of your busy schedule, I thought it would be better if I just email you about this. I don't believe in the church anymore. I started questioning last December and have been convinced it is not true for a number of months now. I can't continue attending bishopric, PEC, and the other meetings anymore. I ask that you please release me from my calling so I can distance myself from the church. I realize that this is not what you want to hear. I thoroughly enjoy the company of the bishopric and consider you a good friend. I hope you understand that I cannot continue honestly attending while not believing any of it. At the beginning of 2010, I went through periods hoping it was true and talked to many people about it such as BYU religion professors and church apologists. Later on, I realized for myself that I don't and cannot believe it at all. I figured it would be better to break away than continue "faking" it. I don't see a reason to sit and discuss this further as I feel at peace with what I believe as I'm sure you do about what you believe. I will put the copies of the agendas and Sacrament program on your desk before Sunday meetings and will be happy to send the next executive secretary the necessary files and help them get started on what needs to be done.

Best regards,

Smeagol"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 05:19PM

Oooh I like that. It really depends on your bish and SP. Some would take that as grounds to ex you, others, like mine, would probably be glad to let you go quietly.

I don't see a reason to make a big deal out of it. You are being honest and giving them some cover. Isn't exec sec actually a Stake calling? Unfortunately the bish is going to have to get the SP involved. Hopefully they both will see things the same and just quietly let you go.

Good Luck!

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 05:22PM

...or just going inactive? I think you need to be clearer about what you are doing. If you are resigning, I would use the generally accepted format.

Date: October 05, 2010 05:23PM

I'm so new to this. Resign? It is scary enough to do what I'm doing. To think this would be resigning.... yikes.

Date: October 05, 2010 05:22PM

Oh, I meant to say "I will put the copies of the agendas and Sacrament program on your desk before this next Sunday meeting..."

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 05:24PM

I would add a line that your decision has nothing to do with personal worthiness issues.

Posted by: Joe ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 05:50PM

If you send this letter expect a full interview from the bishop.

There are advantages to resigning (getting your name removed) from the church records. Once you send the letter saying you formally resign they have no authority to take you to church courts, and they can not excommunicate you after you have formally resigned. If excommunication is a concern you may want to resign first.

It sounds like you have a kind bishop whom you respect. You may want to throw in some of the specific doctrinal reasons you disagree with the LDS faith. It might plant seeds that get him thinking about his own faith.

When I resigned I had a very good conversation with my bishop. The process was painless and I made him aware of many facts I had learned about the Jesus of the bible. I left on good terms with him, and still hope he considers me a friend. When I left I told him I really loved my neighbors (living in a 90% LDS neighborhood). I mentioned to him that I hoped it wouldn't affect my good relationships in the community and he promised me it wouldn't. I have strong suspicions that he told my neighbors I was leaving the LDS church and told them to continue treating me as a friend. Since leaving my neighbors have been just as friendly and I do believe they still respect me.

If you are interested here are the basic steps to leave the LDS church: http://www.mormonresignation.com/

Date: October 05, 2010 05:54PM

Wait.

Are you serious?! They could ex me? Really? LOL.

What the hell have I done? I have not published anything. People actually get ex'd for telling the bish they don't believe in the yahoo anymore?

Date: October 05, 2010 05:56PM

So... nobody sees a problem with all of this being done via email?

Posted by: Joe ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 06:25PM

Email is fine. Remember you are in control (not them)!

I would expect an interview, and some love bombing. Do whatever you are most comfortable with.

They will most likely assume one of two things:
1) you were offended by someone
2) you have some big unseen sin in your life

They will bombard you to try and figure out which of those two it is.

Date: October 05, 2010 06:03PM

I highly doubt they would ex you but I have heard of it. Some idiots think that your telling them you no longer believe is the same as apostasy. I take it you just want to get released and be left alone, right?

Just tweak the email a little as per the suggestions of others and I think you will be fine if your bishop is a good friend. Otherwise, he or the SP will want to talk. If they do, you don't have to meet with them.

In the letter, just tell them you need to be released, don't say that you want to distance yourself from the church. Let them know you will no longer be attending so they need to find a replacement.

This kind of mind game just proves beyond a shadow of a doubt THAT THE CHURCH IS A CULT. They make it so freakin' hard to just walk away.

Posted by: Truth Without Fear ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 08:23PM

I resigned in May 2004 and was Ex'd in September.

But I had a particularly vindictive Stake President who defied SLC and held court anyway.

I just chuckle when I think about it now.

Date: October 05, 2010 08:33PM

Those vindictive b*stards. What a bunch of head cases.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 05:51PM

"I ask that you please release me from my calling so I can distance myself from the church."

You are not begging or asking anything. You are stating your position which is coming from a position of authority, your authority.

The second half of this same sentence is already implied.

Also I agree with caedmon, your personal morals have not changed nor have you committed any crimes (as far as we know). If you state it up front then you both know that no unsubstantiated rumors should come of this. (good luck with that).

Posted by: fisher of fish ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 05:53PM

"I ask that you please release me from my calling so I can distance myself from the church. I realize that this is not what you want to hear."

This gives him all the power. Instead:

"I will no longer be attending or functioning in any leadership capacity, and leave it to you to move forward and find replacement".

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 08:07PM

My suggestion (including fisher of fish’s):

“I am writing to let you know that I will no longer be attending church or functioning in any church-related leadership capacity.

“I am not ‘offended,’ nor is there any worthiness issue related to my decision.

“I inform you of this solely out of courtesy, so that you can move forward and replace my services as needed.

“Thank you.”

My question to you is, are you ready to take this step, Smeagol? Do not take it unless/until you are ready not only to state it but also to *follow through*.

Do NOT get into doctrinal issues with the bishop! As soon as he knows that you plan to go inactive, then in his mind, YOU ARE WRONG, no matter WHAT you say.

Once you receive the bishop’s shocked (or self-righteous) e-mail reply or phone call, are you willing to STAND FIRM that you are NOT willing to meet with him or anyone else to discuss this (nor will you discuss it over the telephone)?

He is likely to ply you with all the Mormon-guilt tricks of the trade. Are you ready to be a broken record, and to be pleasant but FIRM throughout? i.e.

Bishop: Why do you ____?
Smeagol: I do not choose to discuss that.

Bishop: But what about ____?
Smeagol: I do not choose to discuss that.

Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 05:56PM

smeagol Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Best regards,
>
> Smeagol"

very nice, and it would be 100% complete if you changed your signoff to:

Best regards my precious,

Smeagol

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 06:52PM

Posted by: Bob..not registered ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 07:09PM

I think it is perfect. You are respectful, and concerned that you are leaving him in a lurch. You are exceedingly honest.

Just make sure not to give an inch more than you want him to take, i.e. next weeks program, etc.

You're on the high road here!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.