Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 05:31PM

A very personal and important message from Tim Gunn

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1601819254523

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 05:40PM

can find peace within themselves and acceptance from those who love them.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 06:25PM

Watched it, posted it on my facebook, and sent it to a friend.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 08:54PM

... from the sheer love and compassion Tim Gunn expresses.

Everyone should watch this 2-min.video!

Date: October 06, 2010 04:07PM

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 04:28PM

Thanks, MJ. I posted the video on my facebook page, too.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 04:38PM

I assume this is party of Dan Savage's "It Gets Better" project?

For those who haven't seen it, here's the link to the page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/itgetsbetterproject

It's a great site with many other videos along the same line.

We can't stop the BKPs of this world from running off at the mouth, but we can certainly lend our support to young LGBT kids in crisis.

Posted by: sisterexmo ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 04:39PM

Is there a text version of what he says?

I'd like to share that message via email.

Posted by: Verdacht ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 05:37PM

Here's a very cynical message they might want to consider...
Gay people do have to accept themselves because for all the phony
sympathy and lip service that many politicians and celebrities spew out, most of it is insincere.

I think of frauds like the not so funny Kathy Griffin who talks about "her gays" (I have no interest in being anything to her) &
how she does nothing more than exploit them. But gay people sit there and yuck it up. Can't they see they're being laughed at and people like her cash in every time they get sucked in.

The comedy of SNL does the same thing--promote those streotypes to death. It's like a guy getting hit in crotch...you're guaranteed a laugh every time.

I love how all these so called understanding liberal minded people stick up for gays then turn and laugh at them.

See the Academy Awards? Be sure to throw a gay joke in after all the phony posturing in the beginning.

It's like good ol' Reagan--surround yourself with gays (like Coen) then go mincing around your office imitating them.

Date: October 06, 2010 06:19PM

How very sad. I poke fun at the gay stereo types all the time. Poking fun at stereo types by liberals is far less an issue than conservatives labeling gays as sick and not deserving of rights. I would much rather hang with people that poke fun at me than hang with the homophobic asses that are trying to take away my rights.

Date: October 06, 2010 07:51PM

I can. They can't.

OK. Gay jokes can be funny but not when they're made by people
who only help perpetuate negative feelings toward homosexuals and
that's exactly what happens when people "sympathetic" to gays do it.

Date: October 06, 2010 07:59PM

First you say "Gay jokes can be funny but not when they're made by people who only help perpetuate negative feelings toward homosexuals" Specifically "made by people who only help perpetuate negative feelings toward homosexuals".

Then you go on to say "and that's exactly what happens when people 'sympathetic' to gays do it"

And you don't see your self contradiction? Hollywood has been quite "sympathetic" towards gays producing may gay characters that are quite realistic and sympathetic to that gay cause. They have also produced characters that are a hoot.

But, People in Hollywood clearly are NOT "people who only help perpetuate negative feelings toward homosexuals". People in Hollywood and such liberals are people that have done a hell of a lot of good for the gay community that have earned the right to share a laugh about the gay community.

Your self contradiction negates you point.

Date: October 06, 2010 08:19PM

Not at all, MJ.

I didn't say all Hollywood or all of any group in general. Only those who do it to exploit the situation.

Yes, there have been many good movies, plays and books that
treat homosexuality in a positive way, some have been comedic.

It's the ones who seem to embrace homosexuals as an audience and then go on to mock them to their faces and behind their backs.

I guess I'm saying: never assume the ones who SEEM sympathetic actually are.

It's sort of like the old "I have a lot of friends who are Black but..."

Don't kid yourself. The divide is absolutely huge.

It's all really understandable. Heterosexuals simply can't relate well to something so foreign to their very nature.

They've been brainwashed by all the gay hate just as gays have.
Thus self-loathing gays.

Date: October 06, 2010 08:30PM

No, you were not talking about Hollywood when you talked about "celebrities", "Kathy Griffin" and the "Academy Awards". You can not even keep your stories straight. Many celebrities, including Kathy Griffin and those at the Academy Awards that make jokes about gays have also done many things that have supported the gay cause. They are NOT the people "who only help perpetuate negative feelings toward homosexuals" you describe. They HAVE done much to further the cause of gay rights. They have earned the right to laugh with us about ourselves.

Clearly the examples you have used so far do NOT meat your "who only help perpetuate negative feelings toward homosexuals" standards. So, please, do cite some specific examples to back up your claim. So far all I have seen is vague innuendo that seem designed to discredit liberal allies of gays and lesbians.

Date: October 06, 2010 08:47PM

Well, go ahead and laugh along with them. I'll skip it, thanks.
I did site specific examples.
Ya, support the gay cause. Help me Kathy Griffin. Make me one of your gays...then get your audience to laugh at what might be my lifestyle. Collect your check and start all over again.

Come on, tell us how much you love gays but don't forget to show us how they mince across a stage or get all flustered at the sight of a man or lisp when they talk.

It's called showbiz. It's a paycheck. Yep, they earned it.

Glad you find it funny. I find it offensive.

Again, not always the case but too often it is.

Date: October 06, 2010 08:53PM

You claim you were talking about people "who only help perpetuate negative feelings toward homosexuals" Kathy has done a great deal to help gays so that example does NOT FIT your "who only help perpetuate negative feelings toward homosexuals"

Please cite examples that actually FIT your claims about "who only help perpetuate negative feelings toward homosexuals" Kathy does not "perpetuate negative feelings toward homosexuals".

I will laugh along with my friends that do help the gay cause. I will NOT agree with folk that make vague innuendo against anyone much less against the "liberal minded people" that have, though their support of the gay community have earned the right to laugh with us.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2010 08:58PM by MJ.

Date: October 06, 2010 09:06PM

I think she does. You think she doesn't.
Liberal minded people? I think I said "so-called liberal minded people", didn't I? There is a difference.
Sorry you're so touchy about your thread. I leave it alone.
It's Griffin and her ilk that are the "bull shit".

Date: October 06, 2010 09:10PM

Put up or shut up. Where is your proof of your accusations?

Date: October 06, 2010 09:20PM

Prove that she is. If being the target of her "jokes" is your proof; so be it.

You do understand how she makes her living, don't you? You do understand that the straight folks think she's a hoot, don't you?
You do understand exploitation, don't you?

Then you do understand how to make bucks at the expense of others.

Date: October 06, 2010 09:24PM

Verdacht Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Prove that she is. If being the target of her
> "jokes" is your proof; so be it.

Though it is a logical falacy to shift the burden of proof to me, (the accuser is required to prove their accusations) I already have shown how Kathy is a friend to the gay commuity in post

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,9238,9993#msg-9993

>
> You do understand how she makes her living, don't
> you? You do understand that the straight folks
> think she's a hoot, don't you?
> You do understand exploitation, don't you?

You do know that many of her fans are gay, right? They are her fans for GOOD REASON.

>
> Then you do understand how to make bucks at the
> expense of others.

I understand that she has volunteered to do a great deal to support the gay community. You accusations are irresponsible, uncalled for, untrue, petty, and seemingly vindictive. I do not see where kathy is exploiting gays.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2010 09:31PM by MJ.

Date: October 06, 2010 09:52PM

Nope. You can't have both ways. Don't pretend to help me then turn around and mock me.
She actually wore a crucifix on the Ellen Show the day after her controversial comments at the Emmys. Hmm.
Calls herself a 'militant atheist' then says: "Am I the only Catholic left with a sense of humor?"
Yeah, ok.

Date: October 06, 2010 09:58PM

As been pointed out here many times there are many pro-gay Christians, so are you now saying that just because she wheres a Crucifix she is anti-gay?

No, I am NOT trying to "help you" I am being critical of you lies about Kathy and other pro-gay liberal minded people.

You have shown NOTHING to justify your claims that Kathy is not a solid gay rights activist, and NOT a Crucifix does not prove anything.

Do you have anything that actually shows that Kathy is NOT a friend of gays? A Crucifix, what BULL SHIT.

By the way, you DO know that there is a difference between gay rights advocacy and whether or not she claims to be an atheist or a catholic right? You do know the difference between religious preferences and gay rights advocacy, right? You do know that much, eh>?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2010 10:01PM by MJ.

Date: October 06, 2010 09:59PM

MJ Wrote:
> Verdacht Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Prove that she is. If being the target of her
> > "jokes" is your proof; so be it.
>
> Though it is a logical falacy to shift the burden
> of proof to me, (the accuser is required to prove
> their accusations) I already have shown how Kathy
> is a friend to the gay commuity in post
>
> http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,9238,9993#ms
> g-9993
> Could the proof be her mockery of gay people? I've already proven she's not a friend to gays.
> >
> > You do understand how she makes her living,
> don't
> > you? You do understand that the straight folks
> > think she's a hoot, don't you?
> > You do understand exploitation, don't you?
>
> You do know that many of her fans are gay, right?
> They are her fans for GOOD REASON.
>
> >
> > Then you do understand how to make bucks at the
> > expense of others.
>
> I understand that she has volunteered to do a
> great deal to support the gay community. You
> accusations are irresponsible, uncalled for,
> untrue, petty, and seemingly vindictive. I do not
> see where kathy is exploiting gays.

Volunteered? You mean when they film her going door to door?
I imagine that little segment represents an amazing amount of manufactured goodwill AND a good deal of money.

Date: October 06, 2010 10:04PM

Verdacht Wrote:

>
> Volunteered? You mean when they film her going
> door to door?
> I imagine that little segment represents an
> amazing amount of manufactured goodwill AND a good
> deal of money.

Petty, very petty. Where do you have any proof that they filmed he going door to door? Yes, they filmed her protesting, but where is the proof of your claim that they filmed her going door to door?

And what if she did film it? So what if she used her celebrity status to promote gay rights?

Gawd you are petty and free with your unfounded accusations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2010 10:05PM by MJ.

Date: October 06, 2010 09:16PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathy_Griffin#LGBT_rights_advocacy

"Griffin is an outspoken supporter for LGBT rights, including same-sex marriage.[37] She has protested with fellow proponents in West Hollywood, California,[38] and showcased the footage of said protesting on her reality show Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List"

"Griffin volunteered for the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center’s 'Vote for Equality' campaign, going door-to-door asking Los Angeles residents for their opinion of LGBT marriage rights.[39]"

No, any claim that Kathy is not pro-gay simply is NOT TRUE.

Date: October 06, 2010 08:35PM

Of a video make by a GAY celebrity giving a very honest, heart felt message to gay youth in order to make some vague innuendo? How does you post address the actual sincere words of the video I posted? Why did you hijack this thread to make your pathetic political points about "liberal minded people" ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2010 08:41PM by MJ.

Date: October 06, 2010 08:56PM

Sorry about the "hijack". Cool down.
It's not really. Gunn's message is a good one. It's about accepting ourselves. Not about depending on others to accept you.
I agree completely with him.

His message is what prompted me to post about not putting all your stock in what others say outwardly but actually think differently.

Date: October 06, 2010 08:58PM

Prompted you to go on a tirade against ""liberal minded people" ?

What pathetic nonsense. All I can say is BULL SHIT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2010 08:59PM by MJ.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 08:43PM

MJ Wrote:
> A very personal and important message from Tim
> Gunn
>
> http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=16018192
> 54523

I had not heard of Tim Gunn. Seems an OK kind of bloke. Took courage to say what he said. Fair play to the man for taking a stand.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.