Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:09AM

...because tomorrow I go in for eye surgery, my right eye, cataracts. The other in 3 weeks. I have early onset and can't see as well as I should, thus the surgery. I've never had surgery of any kind and am a bit nervous. Anyone here have experience with this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:11AM

I have a phobia of being unconscious in a room full of strangers.

It's not rational, but there it is...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2011 11:11AM by Rebeckah.

Date: January 24, 2011 11:12AM

I know, I know, me too, even though they say they're not going to put me totally out...I have allergies and am worried about the anesthesia, silly, I know...

Date: January 24, 2011 11:28AM

But if (more likely, when) I ever have to have a real surgery, I'm going to insist that my daughter has to be in the room with me. She's had medical assistant training so she is the one they're most likely to accept in there. She knows enough to stay to one side and not get in the way. :)

Date: January 24, 2011 11:39AM

As long as she doesn't pass out while they're doing the surgery - I did that with my dog, LOL. had no idea I was that queasy, I've had blood all over me from injured animals, etc. (I do rescue work with birds of pray). :)

Date: January 24, 2011 11:46AM

My daughter is very practical. :)

My guess, she wouldn't watch at all if it bothered her. She'd just be there to reassure me that I wasn't alone in a room full of strangers while I was vulnerable.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:14AM

Best of luck with your procedure.

I know Cheryl, who posts here, just had eye surgery.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:44AM

I'm now recuperating from having an cornea implant and doing okay with it. I'll have followup surgery for that eye in March.

After I heal I'm looking forward to doing the same on the other eye.

I'm pretty sure you'll do just fine and will love being able to see better. Many cateract patients never have to wear glasses after that. Sounds great, doesn't it?

Be sure to do what the doctors tell you and try not to worry.

Date: January 24, 2011 12:02PM

Thanks, I've been told I should be very excited to see clearly and that the colors will be great! I'm a photographer, so this is very scary for me. But good!

I bet you were very worried, yours is way more critical than mine, I feel like a baby. Wahhh. LOL

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 02:36PM

No one likes the idea of eye surgery, especially if they've never before experienced it.

I'm the squeamish type and did fine, so I think you'll do even better.

Take care.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 11:49AM

I was terrified to be put out to get my tubes tied. What scared me even more was having a 5th kid.

You will do just fine! Good luck!

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 12:00PM

Keep telling yourself these people know exactly what they are doing, and they are trained to take good care of you. Try not to let the scary thoughts run away with you.

Can you get drugs from your doctors to calm you ahead of time?

It is going to be fine. The advances they have made on cataract surgery are astounding. You are so lucky to live in this time instead of just a few decades ago. Doctors are so competent at it because it is so common.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 12:10PM

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 12:42PM

It is perfectly normal to be apprehensive about the unknown. That doesn't make you a baby, so stop thinking that. My mom had cataract surgery and she did just fine (and believe me, I love my mom to death, but she is a huge drama queen!)So if mom did and is very happy she did, I'm sure you will be, too. Best of luck to you. How exciting to know you will soon be seeing much more vividly!!!

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 01:48PM

I've had quite a few.

Have some kick ass music ready when you're still messed up on anesthesia. Be prepared to have plenty of liquids at home when you get there.

Pudding, Jell-o, etc. The anesthesia can sometimes make your tummy a little sensitive for a bit. Then you'll probably want to move on to solids that you'd consider "comfort" foods.

I hope you've got someone to take care of you.

Normally, I'd suggest a movie marathon, but with this type of surgery, maybe you want to have a "book on tape" handy. Something to keep you from getting bored, but nothing too dense because you'll want to go in and out of sleep as you recover.

Enjoy the ride!

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 01:54PM

You've come to the right place! Lots of good people here . . . strong opinions and personalities, but good people. It's okay to be scared! It's okay to be nervous!

Calling all exmos, nevermos, posters and lurkers, send prayers and/or good thoughts for lostinutah!

There!

Now, keep us up to date!

Best of luck and good thoughts coming your way from Houston!

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 01:58PM

... the advances in medical science in my lifetime alone provides great comfort.

When I was a kid, for example that "female" surgery would lay the toughest up in the hospital for quite some time. Beloved had hers a couple 'o' years back and walked-out in 1.5 days.

You'll be alright.

Keep us posted!

Timothy

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 03:48PM

Keeping my fingers crossed for you LostinUtah! I've never had surgery but I've thought about Lasik for my own eyes. No more glasses/lenses and better vision is starting to sound good to me! Hope all goes well :)

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 04:03PM

Wishing the same for you, lostinutah!

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 04:34PM

After the patch is off you will see clearly.

DH had both eyes done years ago. It was miraculous. He wasn't going blind after that.

I was worried he'd divorce me if he saw how old I was getting. :) But he didn't.

Will you be awake? What are the choices?

Hugs
K

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2011 04:36PM by AnonyMs.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 04:37PM

lostinutah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...because tomorrow I go in for eye surgery, my
> right eye, cataracts. The other in 3 weeks. I have
> early onset and can't see as well as I should,
> thus the surgery. I've never had surgery of any
> kind and am a bit nervous. Anyone here have
> experience with this?

I know several people whp have had it done. It is basically out patient and not a big deal.

Date: January 24, 2011 07:28PM

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. I spent the afternoon traveling to Grand Junction from Moab. Brought my cat and three dogs. My niece will take me to and from the surgery and my brother will help me afterwords, I'm staying at his place. Both are wonderful people. We just had a late lunch.

All your great post are making me feel MUCH better. Thanks a million, this board is great. I'm a nevermo and I must say the exMos (and also you nevermos and Mos) are the nicest bunch I've ever run across. I'm impressed. I want to start a cult made of exMos. :)

Posted by: SoCalNevermo ( )
Date: January 24, 2011 07:41PM

I have had cataract surgery in both eyes, the last about two years ago. I'm very glad I did.

Even while I was still ussing the clear plastic "patch" I noticed that colors were brighter and as soon as the patch came off I could see better than I have in years.

I now (age 72) use superemarket reading glasses for close work and nothing for distance over a few feet.

My wife and two of my offspring have had cataract surgery as well and all report good results except my daughter had some cloudiness occur after a year or so that was corrected with a simple laser treatment.

Date: January 24, 2011 07:51PM

Thanks for posting that, very encouraging.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.