Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 05:11AM

"I met a really, nasty arrogant and boastful man, yesterday!" Said a colleague.

"Oh really?" I said.

"Yes, he came in to the shop I work in in the evenings and for no reason at all he started going on about how he was a really wealthy man and a highly successful businessman. He even insisted on telling me his name!"

She told me his name. He is an active Mormon and was a Bishop for several years some time ago.

He was a nasty, arrogant and boastful man, then. Sad that he hasn't grown any.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 06:31AM

have their goods delivered or assign the task to another. Never would they boast about what they have.

This guy may have a few quid but he has no class.

Briggy

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 06:54AM

Boasting is usually to cover up for insecurity. Even if he is doing that well, he is overcompensating for failures elsewhere.

People don't like braggarts because they like to make themselves look big at others' expense. This man should be pitied since he places so much of his self-worth in ephemeral things.

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 03:06PM

On the contrary, I like Braggarts. They're a cheap source of entertainment. Along with Drunkards. For instance, take a pet cat, She or he saunters around slinks around like a super model. With their jumping skills, they land, lick themselves. And they use their charms to woo us out of favors. (ie snacks, by rubbing up and down our legs). But say if they do a stunt wrong. Then it's "Youtube" material, or if they're humbled and bathed, they're youtube material meowing "nooooooooooo".

A drunk young man at the bar is like that. S faced, and they try to talk to girls in a very inebriated state. In their mind they're they're some sexy abed Spartan God... instead of a goober with glassy eyes, and beer foaming out thier mouths... Pure comedy baby.

A Braggart, is like those stock characters the Football jock, on teen comedies that have all the jokes played on him. And in the end, when the text comes up over a photo still of them, to recap what his eventual fate is....

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 10:13AM

I've found that the more someone brags about something, the less of it they generally have. The only exception I've found to that rule is several of my very intelligent women friends, who gave up college and a career to be a stay-at-home mom because of church pressure. They just seem to brag about their intelligence, because they are so desperate for someone to notice - they have nowhere to shine, like before when they were working or getting their education. Not that being a stay-at-home mom isn't important. I'm one myself, but I run my own business part-time so I have somewhere to get that intellectual challenge. Some LDS women feel like they are getting lost in the Mormon mommy mold and those are the ones who brag "Just notice ME!" I feel sad for them.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 04:16PM

Sadly, he IS quite successful. He sells fancy dress. ;o))

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.