Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 03:41PM

Yes, I am an old fartess (feminine fart), and I remember when it was possible to decide for yourself what lovely words of wisdom you would impart in sac meeting. Then the cult started assigning topics--- and then I heard of articles in the ensign being assigned for speaker to enlighten members' minds about.

At the time I said to a friend that that it would only be a matter of time until the church did one of the following: 1)screen each talk 2)hand member a prepared talk to be read in sac meeting using only appropriate somber voice and crying at appropriate moments 3)discontinue peons speaking in sac at all---the B,B's counselors,SP, etc. will now be the only ones called to this very sacred calling. No more peon goof-ups allowed.

A very recent thread mentions a now-serving Stasi-bishop who is currently pre-screening talks and lessons.

Nazi-like tactics in my way of thinking.

And absolute proof that the lds is running scared! Boo-Rah!!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 03:57PM

I asked the bishop about this once. He told me most people prefer to be assigned a topic. I guess this reduces the amount of thinking that the speaker needs to do. As if much thinking is involved in any case.

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 03:58PM

I am in Houston and all talks are rehashed GA talks. So you are to talk on anothers talk- even more boring and stupid.

Date: July 17, 2013 05:17PM

Interesting comment the bishop made; that he found most people prefer to have the topic assigned. Makes me wonder back when I was in the silly morg if most people asked what they should talk about. Wouldn't surprise me in the leassst because, as mentioned, speaker would have less thinking to do. Possibly for another reason---supervigilent about doing the "right" thing.

I never gave tons of talks, but those I did give, I enjoyed conjuring my own subject. For years I only was at church because my friends had to be there and my knowledge of most church doctrines, etc. was just a tad more than zilch.

So, as I think about, I believe I'm lucky I didn't put my very large foot in my mouth one way or another.

I can remember mostly talking about jesus.

Back then, that is what grapped my attention, zoning out for so much of the other &%*#. Plus, I threw in a humorous story (I had picked up that this kept me and others awake. Gee-man-eges, I should have been made a bishop or sp back then)

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 05:25PM

Ah... but what about the lesser known, post screening...

There was a man in the ward when I was growing up, one of his kids had special needs and he was less active. He was assigned a talk and it was really good, kept our interest and had a good message. The problem was that he referenced a then popular mormon video (really just a recording of a stage play) "Saturday's Warrior" talking about how we were friends with the people in our families and predestined to meet spouses, etc.

The Bishop decided that this was dangerous fringe doctrine and could not be allowed to go without comment. After the man sat down, the Bishop jumped out of his seat, called the man back up to the podium and proceeded to point out all the falseness of his talk and while it was popular, was not true and made the man agree in front of the whole ward that it was just a nice idea. The poor man was beet red and thoroughly embarrassed. I'm pretty sure he said something to the effect off "I'm sure brother x wouldn't want false doctrine to be taught!" while he had his arm around him at the podium. He was never seen in church again. So, instead of letting a completely harmless and generally accepted statement go and show support for a less active member, he ensured that everyone would be wary of giving talks and lost this family who really could have used the support of friends.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: July 17, 2013 05:49PM

Dear Finally Free,

How humiliating for the poor guy! What an asshat that bishop was.

I read that back in the day, Speaking in Tongues was popular in JS and BY times.

But one of the prophets, I think it was Brigham Young, discouraged the practice, because it, in essence, gave people too much power to have personal "prophesies".

In other words, it detracted from Brigham Young's power and he just wouldn't stand for it.

Date: July 17, 2013 06:58PM

I so agree that the bishop was an asshat plus.

Insisting the guy come up to the front of the whole congregation!!! That must have been another Long
Green Mile walk. I am against capital punishment, but in favor of the bishop being tied to the podium while tomatoes and such were belted at him. Afterward, he gets to clean it up all by himself. Embarrass him some way or another.

Interesting about the speaking in tongues and BRIG-Bully putting an end to it. Nobodybettersteponmytoesoryou"llbeshot was his ever-ready-motto. I am the king and DO NOT forget it. kinda like ole joe.

There are 15 men and a few more who currently speak in a tongue that should be outlawed and stopped completely---their Coma-inducing-Sing-song-Obey-me-or-else-Dribble needs to hie to Kolob, and quick.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.