Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 02:05AM

Living as I do in the DEEP south (Australia) the above terms are a bit of a puzzle to me. I know about green jello (jelly to us Aussies) salad, and I think that funeral pototoes mean a scallop potato casserole. Am I right? If so, or if not, could I please have some favourite recipes?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 03:05AM

e:

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Advance prep: bake/thaw potatoes: 1 hour

Total Time: 2 hours

Yield: About 8 cups

Ingredients:

6 c. diced potatoes
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/2 c. milk
1 c. sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
2 c. grated cheddar cheese, or use a mix of cheddar and gruyere
1/4 c. grated onion (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
3/4 c. crushed cornflakes or panko bread crumbs (optional for crumb topping)
Additional 2 T. butter (optional for crumb topping)
Preparation:

Prepare the potatoes: Scrub 6-8 medium russet potatoes and wrap in foil. Bake the potatoes in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until they are easily pierced with a fork but not too tender. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and dice them. If you want, you can substitute plain frozen diced (not shredded) potatoes. Let the potatoes thaw before using them in the recipe.
Combine soup, butter, sour cream or yogurt, milk, cheese, onion, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Add the diced potatoes and stir gently until combined.
Place potato mixture in a 2-3 quart casserole dish or 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
Optional: Mix 2 T melted butter with crushed corn flakes or panko bread crumbs. If using panko, season with a little salt and pepper. Sprinkle crumb mixture over potato mixture.
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
User Reviews
Reviews for this section have been closed.

Utah Cuisine: Mormon Scones (Fry Bread)
Utah Cuisine: Fry Sauce
Top Utah Food Gifts
Suggested Reading
Things to Do in Salt Lake City
Free Things to Do
Things to Do With Kids
Suggested Reading
Top Ten Attractions
Utah Bucket List
West Downtown Walking Tour
Related Articles
German Potato Dumpling Recipe - Kartoffelkloesse Rezept
Potato Casserole - Classic Recipes
Vegetarian Potato Soup - How to Make Vegetarian Potato Soup Video
Smoky Home Fries - Cooking for Two
Potato Gratin - German Kartoffelgratin - Baking Potatoes in Cream
Marsha Maxwell
Marsha Maxwell
Salt Lake City Guide
Headlines Forum
Ads
How To Remove Dark Spots
PureBeautyReview.com
A Weird Trick To Remove Dark Spots Without A Doctor
Udi's Gluten Free Bread
UdisGlutenFree.com/Coupon
Try the #1 Best Selling Gluten-Free Bread. Print a $1 off Coupon Now.
Wedding Officiant, SLC
yourweddingofficiantslc.com
Non-denominational, religious, non- religious, interfaith, vow renewal
Advertisement

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 11:15AM

Perhaps you wouldn't know that Utah mormons sometimes add tuna, shrimp, beef, or Spam to their Jell-O dishes.

Yucky? I'd say so!

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 11:22AM

OMG! Spam in Jell-O?!? That is truly retch-worthy!

<shuddering...>

Posted by: queenb ( )
Date: July 29, 2013 12:40PM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Perhaps you wouldn't know that Utah mormons
> sometimes add tuna, shrimp, beef, or Spam to their
> Jell-O dishes.
>
> Yucky? I'd say so!

WHATTT?? I've lived in Utah for 20 years now and was TBM for most of those years, and have NEVER seen that.

They will add fruit to the jello... not meat products.

I've even seen carrots or marshmallows added too... but spam??!! come on!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 29, 2013 04:26PM

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: July 29, 2013 07:01PM

She's right. I've seen ham and pineapple in green jello with a dollop of mayo on top.

Blech

Ana

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 29, 2013 07:02PM

At my dad's funeral, a family brought over a Jello salad with ground beef, pasta, and beans. Hurl worthy!

Posted by: queenb ( )
Date: July 29, 2013 08:01PM

I have never seen such a thing in Utah... do you guys live in Utah (that have seen jello with meat in it)?

honestly, it's kind of blowing my mind.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: July 29, 2013 08:13PM

This wasn't in Utah, but the people who made the "salad" might have been from Utah.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: July 29, 2013 06:55PM

Lark's tongue in aspic, now there's a treat

Posted by: flybynight not logged in ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 11:20AM

I've always seen the funeral potato casserole made with shredded (hash-brown style) potatoes. The local favorite version here in the Morridor uses cream of mushroom soup instead of cream of chicken.

I still make the casserole, but prefer cream of celery soup. I top with a mixture of Parmesan cheese, Italian bread crumbs, and crumbled cooked bacon. Caramelizing the onions (I use Vidalia onions when I can get them) makes it even better. Yum!

The green jello salad can include any number of mix-ins. There's a version with shredded carrots and nuts, or a dessert-type one that includes fruit, nuts, and whipped topping either folded in or layered on top of the jello.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 11:49AM

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 11:59AM

In my relatives ward the RS has even started handing out a "standard" recipe for Funeral Potatoes so that when they take different batches to funerals and other events they are all the same. LOL As for jello, they don't always use green. They mix up the colors. And love to add Cool Whip to it and canned fruit. Yuck.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 03:08PM

Personally, I never liked the texture of funeral potatoes, as I prefer to let sliced raw potatoes fully cook as the dish is baking. After all, that's what most scalloped or au gratin potato recipes require, is that the potatoes should fully cook during the baking process.

Date: July 28, 2013 10:02PM

Thanks so much for all the recipes and links. I will have some fun trying the recipes! Think I might leave the tuna and spam in the jelly alone though.

Does anyone have any Aussie recipes they would like?

Date: July 28, 2013 10:44PM

Heh heh, I was afraid someone would ask for that. They are not my best thing in the kitchen. But I am glad to share, plus a tip from my mother and grandmother.

The pies you buy commercially here (the cheaper ones at least), I understand are made with mutton, and highly beefized to take out the lamby flavour flavour (oxo cubes etc.) I can't honestly help you with those.

I have two of my own versions. I will give instructions for a single pie, but they can be made into individual little pies.

Basic Beef mince pie.

Brown up about 1 1/2 pounds (for Americans, around 1/2 kilo for those of us using metric) of TOP quality beef (as little fat as possible) in a hot fry pan. If it sticks too much add a little oil.

Add SEVERAL chopped onions and allow them to brown. Add salt and pepper (I even like some of the flavoured salts) to taste and add a cup or so of water. Allow to simmer until very tender (adding more water if necessary) usaally half an hour or so.

Meantime prepare a basic pasty for the base and place in pie tin. Here in Australia we cut in margarine or butter, but I LOVE the texture of Chrisco made pasty that I used when in Canada.

Thicken the meat mix using flour and a meat flavoured gravy mix, and after cooling a little place, in the pastry lined pie tin.

For the top I use a commercial frozen flaky pastry but you can use a basic pastry if you prefer. My grandmother and mothers trick is to place an old fashioned china egg cup in the centre of the beef mixture before placing the top layer of pastry on, so the top pastry doesn't get soggy.

The second recipe is an acquired taste, for those of us who grew up with it is wonderful, but if you don't like liver or kidneys you probably won't like it.

A Steak and Kidney pie is made the same way as the Basic meat pie, but 1/3 of the mince is replaced with chopped lamb kidneys. If you can't get those a small amount of chopped liver could be substituted, but be careful as it has a stronger flavour than kidneys.

I hope you all enjoy these. I can't gaurantee that they are what all Australians make, but they are my version, and others seem to like them as well as me!

Happy cooking!

Posted by: flybynight not logged in ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 10:04PM

Aussie meat pies, please!

Date: July 28, 2013 10:50PM

I'd like your fav Aussie dinner, with recipes. Then I can have an Australia night with the grandkids!

Everything I make is pretty simple and cheap because of having so many children. Hands down, this is the all-time favorite, tied only with orange chicken:

CHICKEN LIVERS AND RICE

Brown in bacon grease in turn:

1 large onion diced, carmelize and set aside
3/4 lb chicken livers dipped in flour, brown and set aside.

Refrigerate 2 hour, then dice livers no larger than 1" square
Return all to pan (start Jasmine rice cooking)

Add 1 cup water
2 chicken boullion cubes
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 can cream of chicken soup
1 tsp Kitchen Bouquet
white wine (opt)

Simmer 10 minutes til livers completely done
Add 1 lge container sour cream
Salt, pepper to taste

Serve over rice. Serves 4 generously, sauce freezes beautifully. If does not taste savory enough, add more boullion. This one is a child-pleaser.

Best

Anagrammy

Date: July 29, 2013 10:57AM

I read the recipe and still need some clarificaton.

Looks delicious and a handy way to use up leftovers but

What part is the bubble and what is the squeak?

And which is the banger if the Mash is the potato?

Sorry for being so obtuse...

Ana

Date: July 29, 2013 11:00AM

While we are talking about meat pies, here's my Always Flakey Pastry tip:

For shortening use 1/2 lard and 1/2 real butter, both from freezer, of course.

As you cooks out there may already know, pastry hates to be handled. The wonderful thing about this half and half trick is that it survives being rolled out by children (and rerolled) and

DAMN! It's still flakey!

Fluhist - I will let you know how the pies go! Thanks so much for the recipe.

Anagrammy

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: July 29, 2013 08:10PM

It is named after the bubbling and squeaking sounds made while cooking.

Posted by: JohnStockton12 ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 11:27PM

Funeral Potatoes, Sunday Roast, and Green Jello is my least favorite meal. There are much better things to cook! Try at your own risk. This is coming from a former mormon who was born, raised, and still living in the lovely deseret!

Date: July 28, 2013 11:31PM

Thanks for your GREAT recipe Anagrammy I will have fun trying that too!

I am THRILLED to think you would have an Australian night with your grandkids.

I suggest the steak and kidney pie, as your grandkids obviously don't mind livers, you could use chicken livers in it, they would be a little less 'livery' than beef liver.
Serve the pie with mashed potatoes, and a mix of vegies in cheese sauce. My favourite is carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. But if you are cooking for a lot of your children, frozen mixed vegies would work in a cheddar chesse sauce.

For dessert I will give you the recipe for ANZAC biscuits (cookies).
I must tell you how they came to be.
In World War 1 the Austalian men served in a war for the first time as a nation. We had only become a nation separate from Britain in 1900. So 1915 saw some of our troops go overseas with a group of New Zealanders. They were called the Austalian and New Zealand Army Corps, hence ANZAC.
The women of WW1 were amazing here in Australia (and I am sure all over the world). They proved themselves to be wonderful organizers to get the literally thousands of socks knitted for the men plus other 'comforts' like cigarettes, scarves and even warm shirts to the men fighting in the unfamiliar and very cold areas of France etc.
One thing they found was that cakes and biscuits (cookies) they sent grew mouldy before they reached the battle front, due to the long months in transit by ship. They developed the ANZAC bisquit, that was nutricious, gave instant energy and did not go mouldy in the tins. Since then almost every Australian child has grown up eating them, and they are especially eaten on ANZAC day, a day of rememberance here, in April. I hope you and your grandkids like them!!

ANZAC Biscuits

1 cup plain flour (I think your flour already has the bicarbonate of soda in it, if so just cut down on the bi-carb in the recipe a little)
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup dessicated coconut
3/4 cup brown sugar
125g butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup (if you can get Australian brand so much the better - it has a distinct flavour)
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (see note above)
2 tablespoons of water.

1. Pre heat oven to 160degrees celcius (sorry don't know how to change that to farenheit). Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Sift the flour. Stir in the oats, coconut and brown sugar.

2. Put the butter, golden syrup and 2 tbs of water in a small saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until melted then add the bicarb of soda. (it will fizz a bit)

3. Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture.

4 Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls. Place on tray about 5 cms (2 1/2 inches) apart.

5. Press with fork to flatten slightly. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.

YOu might want to try these before the day, sometimes getting the bicarb balance right is a bit tricky.

Good luck and REALLY enjoy yourself. PLEASE let me know how it went.

Date: July 28, 2013 11:37PM

Hi MJ,
Yes their is nothing like a good bangers and mash and bubble and squeak. Your recipe looked great but of course bubble and squeak can be made from any left over vegies, just fry them till brown and YUMMM! GREAT when you've overdone the vegie portions the previous day. Simply fry them up and eat them the next day.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 11:51PM

About Bangers, mash and bubbles and squeak. I've had several versions of bangers and Bubbles and squeak. It seems like every family has their own version.

Date: July 29, 2013 11:01AM

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: July 28, 2013 11:44PM

At least it isn't halal food.

Date: July 28, 2013 11:49PM

Okay JohnStockton12, How about you and your wife/husband come over here and I will make you an AMAZING Aussie lamb roast, complete with crispy roasted potatoes, baked pumpkin, and mint sauce. I guarantee you will love it, and that every Aussie reading this has their mouth watering right now!

Thanks for your advice re the potatoes etc.

Posted by: JohnStockton12 ( )
Date: July 29, 2013 01:13AM

I'd love too! That has my mouth watering as well!

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: July 29, 2013 11:32AM

I've heard you guys have some great vegan food too.

Date: July 29, 2013 08:18PM

Hi Ananagrammy,

Sorry I should have done a 'translate' for you.

Mash of course is mashed potato.
Bangers are sausages. This is a VERY English word for them, but we Aussies use it too sometimes, especially when referring to Bangers and mash.

Bubble and squeak traditionally was a working class dish which used up the previous nights potatoes and cabbage and was served on its own or with eggs for breakfast. Sometimes bacon.

The bubble and squeak referred to the sound they made in the frying pan, the squeak being the cabbage.

SO glad you will use the recipes and I will certainly try you flaky pasty recipe.

Hi Fidget,

I am not a vegetarian or vegan love, so I can't help you there. Yes I have eaten some lovely vegetarian meals but for myself, if I am having a veg. friend to dinner, I simply adapt a meal eg cook the chinese vegies with flavourings in a wok, and serve with rice. If there are other friends who are not veg. I then cook the meat separately.

I personally make a few vegetarian meals. eg a good quiche, but they are nothing special.

Have a great day!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.