Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 03:17PM

I just picked up a book about cult murderer Jeffrey Don Lundgren. He claimed to be a prophet in the mid to late 1980s in Kirtland, Ohio. [offshoot LDS cult]

On Lundgren's orders, his underlings carried out the deaths of some of his cult followers -- a family by the name of Avery -- a husband wife and 3 small children.

This was a human sacrifice, supposedly "directed by God".

Have any of you on RFM ever heard of this guy Lundgren and his followers? He sounded like a sexual slave master, tyrant, and kook!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 06:08PM

Oh ya. Heard of him - he was executed. Another religious fanatical mental health case.

http://www.biography.com/people/jeffrey-lundgren-14467539

This goes back a couple of decades and may not be info LDS folks knew about or followed.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 06:44PM

Last week, "Deadly Devotion" on the Discovery ID channel had an episode named "Mormon Murders" about the Avery family. It was heartbreaking to watch.

The episode description:
"Cheryl and Dennis Avery think they’ve found spiritual salvation in the teachings of Jeff Lundgren, a Mormon preacher. But when the Averys give up everything to join Lundgren, this preacher leads his followers on a dark path of violence and destruction."

Every time one of Lundgren's prophecies didn't come to pass, he would blame it on the sinfulness of his followers and their failure to repent. The Avery family became his scapegoats.

I checked both Discovery ID's website and my DVR schedule, and this episode of "Deadly Devotion" is not on the lineup in the next two weeks, but they replay their shows a lot. If you have a DVR and choose a season pass, the DVR will nab it whenever Discovery ID reruns it.

Posted by: Renie ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 09:56PM

I read about that in a book on cult murders a few months ago. I don't remember the name of the book, and passed it on to an Aunt so I can't pass the name onto you. It highlighted I think ten cult murders, including Jim Jones, and the ones in Philadelphia a few years back, along with this one and others.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 10:03PM

It was called- I think- "The Kirkland Massacre" or something similar.

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: August 12, 2013 10:38PM

In 2000 I was visiting in western Missouri
and spent some time taking to a sister of a guy
who was in the cult. If I recall correctly her
brother was either deceased or in prison.

UD

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 01:19AM

such a sad case. I learned about it thanks to Discovery ID he claimed that he followed orthodox Mormonism. Never heard of him marrying off young brides though. I think he was more into the second coming, when the second coming never came, it was because there was too much evilness amongst the followers. so he had that whole family killed including the three children and buried them in the red barn. I'm so glad Lundgren has been executed.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 01:21AM

I read a book about it and saw a couple of documentaries. None of them said anything about polygamy, sex or underage girls. He didn't like the family and he wanted their money.

Posted by: Doll ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 06:33PM

Do any of you guys know any credible websites about what happened to the followers

Posted by: Vibiana ( )
Date: May 02, 2018 02:05PM

Lundgren was executed in October 2006.

Everybody that's getting out is out. Richard Brand was the first one paroled, in 2009. In 2010, four more were paroled: Greg Winship, Debbie Olivarez, Susie Luff, and Sharon Bluntschly.

Danny Kraft's first parole date is in 2024.

Alice Lundgren, Damon Lundgren, and Ron Luff have parole dates of 2092, 2098, and 2148. In other words, they're in for life.

Posted by: Vibiana ( )
Date: May 02, 2018 02:07PM

P.S. I knew the Avery family and grew up with them in my childhood church. They were nice people and did not deserve what happened to them. It upsets me to see them spoken of as wimpy, whiny, mousy, or other attributes I've seen. They were shy, quiet people, not wimps.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.