Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 11:53PM

I'm taking a long walk on the Yakima Greenway, and I see a guy coming toward me. He's about 6'5" or more, 300 pounds if any pounds at all, and is wearing a tank top and shorts and sandals. He's of a greenish appearance, much like the Jolly Green Giant. When I get closer I see that the green is from his fully tattooed body, from his bulging neck down to his ankles. He has a small goatee and earlobe plugs. In short, he's scary. But he has a toddler beside him, and he's being a real sweet and attentive dad, walking slowly, talking nicely and cuddling the little boy. He suddenly seemed a real sweetheart.

I couldn't help but wonder what the Mormons would do with a guy like this if he were to show up with the missionaries some Sunday. If he converted, what would his temple experience be like? What would the bishop tell him about his earlobes? Would he have to shave his goatee? Would he be allowed to be a leader? Would he become a high priest? Would they install him on the high council? Would he become a trusted Scout leader? Teach primary? Or would there just not be a place for him? For all their "Christianity," Mormons may not have room for guys like him, and perhaps he need not apply within. Just wondering.

(Of course, this is purely hypothetical. For all his intimidating looks, he still looked intelligent enough to fend off the Mormons.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 12:20AM

I haven't been to church in 30 years, and I still have stupid little judgmental Mormony thoughts sometimes. I really resent that.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 01:25AM

Very well said and so true.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 02:25AM

I work daily with guys like that. My boss is scared ********* of them; they think that is funny.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 04:13AM

Maoris and other polynesians are accepted I understand. Tattoo or not.

However, I'm not sure whether or not they are required to cover them up. TGs have a way of hiding everything, as does church garb so he might be okay provided he removes his earplugs.

Just a thought.

Briggy

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 07:44AM

to church with Anglo tattoos? A lot of Aussies and white Kiwis get Celtic type tats on the upper arm. Maori also get their arms done (traditional male tattoos are facial)

I've seen Samoan young women go back to Samoa to get their upper arm banded with traditional (done with a small chisel and hammer) tattoos.

The church in AU and NZ takes the view (I assume) that tattoos are permanent, so why worry once they are done? Also, who is going to tell a 120kg Samoan dude he can't participate because of his Samoan tattoos?

Facial hair was once banned from the Brisbane AU temple until their was a backlash. As long as people are clean, who cares?

Posted by: HomelessNoMore ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 11:02PM

This Jolly Green Giant sounds like he has some mighty interesting stories to tell, I bet!

A woman I used to know has a tattoo of a gnarled gnome (?) face on her leg from her teenage years, long before she converted. While on her mission (yes, they allowed her to go) she had to conceal it with long skirts or opaque pantyhose. She told me that after she came home and was able to wear normal pantyhose again, a number of people actually thought it was a design ON the hose and asked her where she had bought them. LOL.

This was in Chile, South America though, where church members are considerably more relaxed about rules and such. Heck, every Sunday the traveling outdoors market would set up their tables right against the back fence of the church, and any number of the youth would buy oranges and lemons from the vendors between classes. If USA Mormons were more like Chilean Mormons, I probably wouldn't have much problem with LD$ Inc anymore. They're a much more laid-back and much less preoccupied with Achieving Perfection(TM).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.