Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 08:09PM

If a Mormon woman marries in the Temple and her husband dies, what should she do? All she can do is marry a Mormon widower who originally married in the Temple. She has no other respectable option because:

1. She cannot marry in the Temple to a man who has never been married because she cannot be sealed to two men.

2. She cannot marry a Mormon outside the Temple because her husband will be looked down on for marrying outside the Temple, and there will always be the danger that he will divorce and marry someone else in the Temple just so he can have an eternal marriage.

3. She cannot marry a nonMormon because she must marry within her faith, and a nonMormon might lead her children astray.

4. She cannot remain single because singleness is looked down on in Mormonism.

There are not that many Mormon widowers out there. There are more Mormon widows than there are Mormon widowers so the odds are against her.

A case in point: I know two Mormons who married in the Temple and died young. Think of the pressure on their wives. This hits close to home too, because my Mormon father in law's father just died at 61. What is his Mormon wife to do now?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 08:14PM by behindcurtain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: enginerd ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 08:16PM

My father in law and his new wife (a widow) found themselves in this dilemma. In her case, after temple marriage, and spending years and years with her first husband and raising a son together with him and being supported and provided for by him, her first husband died of a heart attack. After he died, she met my wife's father, got a "divorce for the dead" from her first husband, and married my father in law in the temple "for time and all eternity". Presumably (if any of this were real) her faithful first husband is now doomed to spend eternity alone through no fault of his own. Even as myth, that just doesn't seem right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 08:27PM by enginerd.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 08:24PM

True. Here's a case to support your point:

My grandpa went to the temple when his wife died and found an older single woman who had never married. He married her by the time grandma was cold. (OK, I'm exaggerating slightly.)

Then she died. He went back to the temple and found a widow. Within a month and married her.

Then she died and he found another widow pronto at the temple.

Apparently the temple is the Old People Pick Up Bar. According to old gramps, there were tons of women there for him to choose. Since there were not as many men, the women settled for an old geezer old enough to be their father.

Score for Grandpa: Instant Nurse.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 08:27PM

behindcurtain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If a Mormon woman marries in the Temple and her
> husband dies, what should she do?

DUMP MORmONISM and dramatically widen her playing field.

Next question.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 08:51PM

"All she can do is marry a Mormon widower who originally married in the Temple."

That's what my dear mum did. They still married in the temple in a "time only" ceremony. That way she could still show the church her obedience, and also continue to alienate family who don't give the time and money to mormonism get the special press pass.

So, they share their current lives believing when they die they'll be with reunited with their respective firsts. Kind of a rent-a-spouse deal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.