Exmormon Bios  : RfM
Exmormon's exit stories about how and why they left the church. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exblacksister ( )
Date: December 23, 2013 08:21PM

Hi ex mormons I have been drawn to this site as I too have recently come out of Mormonism. My exit story is not unique,but comes from a perspective of a black person brought up in the teachings of the mormon faith. I knew I had problems with the doctorine,but as later-day saint living in the UK I had no idea, what my journey into academic study would throw up form me.

Nearly two years ago I enrolled on a social work degree, where I had to start from the basics of Learning how to evaluate and critique academic work. This new way of thinking and learning has finally opened my eyes, in regards to church doctrine and literature. From my own research I can confidently say that the church can be described historically as a racist church and sadly in its present day.

It amazes me as to how many exit stories I have read where ex-missionaries, ex bishops, ex stake president, ex high priest disclose; not forgetting ex relief society ladies, ex young women leaders , ex primary presidents etc, confess some where in their journey in or out of Mormonism that they had problems with the teachings of the curse of black people from the mark of Cain, to the teaching of bigoted B.Young, who prophesied no black person will ever hold the mormon priesthood!
Can I just ask you the reader to consider these questions,looking back within your church leadership capacity did you personally do anything to make black members feel like they were on equal terms? Did you speak up and share you views on unfair treatment within your wards or stakes? Did you advocate on their behalf when you witnessed injustices within your leadership meetings,
to alleviate the blatant, and some times unwitting discrimination of black members? (blacks being defined as black African, black Americans, black British, Asians, Indians, American Indians, black caribeans, including those of mixed heritage.)or was this because you simply did not notice or took a colour blind approach believing that there is no differences in members and every one is treated the same. For those of you who don't know, being colour blind is a form of racism which prevents people from celebrating, valuing diversity and individualism.

Not surprisingly a large majority of ex white mormons attribute inequality as one the problems or reasons for leaving mormonism. Perhaps you are just following the status quo when mentioning it to make you feel justified. It appears to me that the race card is being used as a tolkenistic excuse by some folk, who have never had first-hand experience of being on the receiving end of racism within a supposed Christian environment in a western demographic area.
TBM's are quick to state that mormons are not racist because they have churches all over the world, blah blah blah."
Yes I am aware that the mormon church in Africa and other developing countries; and it Is supposedly thriving according to LDS statistics. I recognise that In these countries most leadership positions are filled by blacks.
But that does not explain what is happening in most wards or branches all over Europe and American in regards to black members.

I believe it has something to do with the teachings of Brigham Young who taught a much greater extreme of racism. In a sermon given on March 8, 1863, Young stated, "Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so" (Journal of Discourses, 10:110). Which basically means any mixed race families which has a "white mans/or women's blood intermingled in it, will somehow face death on the spot! What he failed to explain was which spot, he probably meant a spot in heaven, as all the families including mine who are bi-racial should not even exist now according to that Buffoon.

How many of you can stand up and say that you questioned the injustices of black people whilst in the church?
How many of you can stand up and say that in your former mormon capacity that you went out of your way to welcome black members when they came to church?
how many of you questioned the tactics of missionaries who seemed to target blacks and and foreign nationals with immigration problems as easy pickings for investigators, with the excuse that they are more susceptive to the religious message?
How many of you were reluctant to call black people to leadership positions in your branch, ward or stake high councils?
how many of you invited black members to your homes?
How many of you choose black members to give talks, sunday school lessons or extended invitations for opening prayers in the sacrament meetings?
how many believed in your heart of hearts that black members were second class citizens to be looked down upon from your alleviated
White and delightsome Status?
How many of you cursed, moaned or queried when you had to offer your time and service to such people especially when they needed lifts to church or welfare assistance?
How many of you ditched black people as friends when they asked uncomfortable questions about blacks & the priesthood?
How many of you relief society sisters purposely choose not to sit next to black sisters in meetings?
How many of you never bothered to do or say anything much, because some of these types of people never stayed long in the church?

The reason why some ethnic minorities never stay engaged in the mormon religion was because of all the aforementioned treatment, that is a present and on-going experience for black members today. I envy those investigators that had a lucky escape, and did not have to part with a considerable part of their money in order to receive everlasting blessing, and Godly status.

I rejoice knowing that I am not alone in my exodus out of the church.
I stayed more than 35 years, because I was convinced the church was true, and that I and every other black person had the right to be there. I constantly fought against these subtle acts of discrimination which I witnessed over the years, making me feel very unpopular and an outsider. But I am a strong black women, and never once did I feel the need to leave because of it. That is until now when I found out the truth about JS.

My eyes have truly been opened with education and personal study. I have allowed myself to take a good look at whats out there on the Internet. I have finally allowed my mind to think logically and think for it's self. I have been truly set free from religious bondage. My exit from mormonism is the best thing that has happened to me and my family in a very long time. I am grateful that I have no family left in the church to offer me consistent guilt trips and teary testimonies. I am now in the process off shaking the mormon clingers who constantly besiege me with phone calls and face book messages. In my new transition I am developing a newer and better understanding of who Jesus is, and what I have to be grateful for. I realised that the Jesus and the faith that I held onto when times were rough within the mormon church for me as a black member is different to the Jesus I have in my life today. He is much more humanistic, kind and forgiving.
He loves me unconditional, and through his love and grace I am already saved, because I believe and trust in him alone.

Just for the record, I want you to know that I forgive those of you who were bigoted just like B.Young or deluding in your thinking like J. Smith. I wish you all good luck on the paths you are on, and hope that you will remember we are all equal, and that God is not a respecter of persons any religion teaches elitism, now or in the past is wrong.

truly out of mormonism, A Black British Woman.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2013 08:27PM by exblacksister.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.