Exmormon Bios  : RfM
Exmormon's exit stories about how and why they left the church. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ohiovert ( )
Date: December 15, 2014 11:35AM

I was a convert at 19, went on a mission to California (LA County) at 23. Not religious at all before conversion. Very worldly you might say prior to joining. Had a crush on one of the sister missionaries that taught me. Looking back, this was no small factor. I was impressed with some of the logic the Church offered (degrees of glory) all that kind of stuff. I was aimless before converting and asking lots of "whats it all for" questions. I guess I was ripe for the picking. Had sex, felt guilty and went inactive not long after joining. Couple years later the Bishop took me under his wing, got me teaching CTRAs and baddaboom I was on a mission. Was a trainer, district leader and zone leader. Loved So-Cal and met a lot of great people, baptized my share and had some great comps and some weirdos, but all in all they were good guys. Kissed a girl around my year mark, confessed to MP immediately and he transferred me the next day and made me a district leader. It was hard as hell for me but I surrendered to the life after that and served well (if you will). Get home from mission and stake prez says get out of town cuz your family will inadvertently bring you down. Ended up back in California with friends I had made, had sex, felt guilty and confessed (this was a cycle that went on for a while). Thought I was a deviant after a while but turns out HEY I was just a guy in his 20s. Finally just stopped going to church and hung out with my fellow inactives and sex havers. To digress a bit, I was haunted by the Blacks and the priesthood thing, and quite frankly Joseph Smith himself, but my denial was strong and I ignored it using the rationality that the adversary was working on me due to my weakness for the flesh. Anyway, at about 28 I decided enough was enough and just quit. Guilt slowly left me but here is my question. Why do I need to "officially" remove my records? Who cares? If I say I'm not in then I am not in. I am now 47, married for 9 years and not a sexual deviant by the way :) I rarely think about the Church except some reminiscing about the mission which by the way, I have no regrets about. I learned things about myself that never would have happened otherwise. No ill will.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.