Exmormon Bios  : RfM
Exmormon's exit stories about how and why they left the church. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: one ex convert's experience ( )
Date: March 14, 2015 12:50PM

Some people ask how can people be converted to Mormonism:
About age 17, I was a convert in the Midwest because my family members joined.

The small branch of very friendly people was a very happy experience for me.
Many folks in the Midwest were friendly people so I did not realize the Mormons were assigned to be your friend.
I was taught that polygamy was to take care of widows on the frontier. That it ended long ago.

When married and moved to a city in Southwest because of DH's needs for college, employment and job opportunities. Became stay at home mom. Ward was mostly young families. Mostly converts; Leadership positions were filled by born in the covenant members mainly from Utah.

When heath conditions limited my abilities to be in meetings or fulfill callings. Female leaders were not supportive but very critical. I did not understand several hurtful experiences and tried to continue for too many years to believe this church was the church of Jesus Christ.

Kept serving at least 15 years in the nursery, sunbeams and age 7 group, while our kids were young. So was isolated from having friends outside of a few Mormons.

Also spent too many years just studying what Mormons taught about Christ to keep going. Realized after leaving that I had misunderstood what Mormon Priesthood authority meant. To me it was about kindness, compassion and serving others.

Did not have any information available accept what the church taught. Found out on these boards that Mormon missionaries had removed any "anti" negative information from the public libraries in the 1960's and later so when I looked into books at the city library, while taking missionary lessons; I did not find the truth about Mormonism's problems. I trusted that the LDS church was honest in their teachings for too long!

Did not have computer knowledge or the internet until many years later, when called to be genealogy instructor for the ward; In doing research, I found out about the history in America of the second great awakening. That was helpful later.

News reports online in the New York times is what really helped us see that the Leaders of the Mormon church take the finances to themselves (and lead like Pharisees).
So we resigned and have needed to grieve all of the lost time and finances that should have been used for our families needs.

Finding the real truth about the conflicting information in the original Mormon scriptures BOM and Book of commandments, the NY York times article about the BOA papyrus being gifted to the church in the 1960's was very helpful. The information about Joseph Smith's Polygamy and Polyandry and lies to cover it up (with the lies of the Relief Society counselors) and by other Priesthood brethren also has been painful but necessary to learn to move on.

Why are religions that teach such a fraud allowed to have tax exempt status. They should be required to teach investigators where to find the full truth about them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.