Exmormon Bios  : RfM
Exmormon's exit stories about how and why they left the church. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ronocko ( )
Date: July 06, 2011 07:00PM

I think my story is pretty similar to most, the main way religion propagates itself is through indoctrination, "go forth and multiply", I was never confronted about my beliefs for 18 years just told more and more about how persecuted the early church was and how god would always look after me and our family and how I should live what I should eat/drink what I should think, It was so bad that I never even knew atheists existed till I was 15 I was not aware people did not believe in any gods.

It wasn't actually till around a year ago that I actually broke the spell so to speak, I was a very active member of an online message board and one day someone linked a video which although really looking quite laughable and insignificant to most believers it actually hit me like a truck.(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJxCFa8YmbQ) It seems ridiculous, I thought exactly like this man the evidence for god was everywhere how could anyone doubt it and as dumb as they made that man look is as dumb as they made me feel, so I continue to watch videos thinking there has to be someone who challenges them and shows gods existence, I don't find it, I watch an episode with Aronra and decide to look up his youtube page and at this point I am absolutely floored by what I missed out on learning about evolution and taxonomy seeing the flaws and the fallacies in what I use to believe, it was within a single week that I had gone from no doubt in my mind there was a god to how on earth could I have believed in any of this senseless ridiculous garbage.

My parents confronted me almost immediately about it "how can you believe you came from a monkey instead of a loving god" blah blah blah, "I thought I raised you better" Even without the disgusting misunderstanding of evolutionary theory and the uneducated mistakes they continued to spout, the only sad thing I regret about how suddenly I "came out" about it was that my parents increased the pressure on my elder brothers to come out of inactivity which worked on one of them and now he seems to have put on the blinders and believes in this nonsense again.

Since then I have had countless "arguments" with my parents about this, ranging from the fact Joseph Smith was a self admitted treasure hunter to the blood atonement to the blatant racism and every time we got to a point where they just shrug it off and say I believe because I have faith and god has told me personally. It's a logic you can't fight the mindset of a devout believer is something that can only be broken from within.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.