Deconstructing Mormonism  : RfM
A discussion of Tom Riskas' book "Deconstructing Mormonism: An Analysis and Assessment of the Mormon Faith." 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: yeet ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 12:23AM

I see churches everywhere. Most of them are some denomination of Christendom. I went and sat with them and it doesn't even seem remotely interesting. Like It's pretty much the same story over and over. I just wonder what is so appealing about blabbering on and on about a dead guy and an imaginary being once a week forever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: abimelech ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 10:25PM

We find what we look for. Sometimes we find ourselves. That means we project our expectations. I lack your faith in the unknown. Evidence for "an imaginary being" is lacking. I am not a Christian, but my experience has been different from yours. Most of them are not very interesting to me, which is probably understandable, given that I was for many years following an interesting by virtue of being esoteric, exotic, and in places erotic, religion. Compared to that pride-enhancing gnostic ego-boosting chosenness, traditional Christianity pales. It pales in its comparative exoticness. But many are things are true that are neither exotic, esoteric, or erotic. So whether or not something is "interesting" or not, is no argument as to its worth or correctness.

Yes, it is pretty much the same story over and over. Like the Napoleonic wars, the discovery of Pluto, doing math exercises, driving a car and most evertything else. That is no argument for its value or accuracy.

Characterizing remarks about a person's deeply held beliefs as "blabbering" reflects an insensitivity and closed-mindedness that will obfuscate your efforts to understand the allure of Christianity. But it sounds like you aren't serious about finding out what the allure is, anyway. The same holds true in regards to your reference to Jesus, the center of most Christian "confessions", as "a dead guy." That is trebly sad, because you probably don't really know if Jesus really is dead, or really did resurrect and is alive, or is a fictional character. You just assume he was a factual character, probably living and talking somewhat like the New Testament relates, and died. There are millions living now who never died, you being one of them. Maybe Jesus is another one.

"Forever" - I have not yet encountered a church - and I have visited many - which teaches that such sermons as you described, or any other kind, will go on literally "forever."

You need to set aside your intellectual prejudices and over-weening certainty that you already know "the truth" if you honestly, sincerely, genuinely want to know the allure of Christianity.

"alluring": powerfully and mysteriously attractive or fascinating.

There are many points on which a Christian might argue for the allure of Christianity, not the least of which are forgiveness of things they feel guilty about, avoidance of suffering, a pleasant life continuing after the death of their bodies, being with friends, being loved, and so on. Ask Christians directly next time you attend a church. If they can't tell you what the allure is for them, then there probably is no allure. If they can tell you, then thank them and let them live their lives in peace whether you agree with them or not, just as you would like them to let you live your life in peace even if you see no allure in Christianity.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 16, 2019 11:07AM

I tend to go along with the 12 stepper's concept of higher power. I think that there is a force or power our there that we may access when needed if we are in tune with it.
I do not believe that any single group or society has primary access to this power.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: February 23, 2020 02:14AM

I'm not a christian anymore. I am an atheist and I'll try to answer.
Going to church is traditional. It was also a requirement long ago. You weren't considered normal if you did not go and it might even get you killed or ostracized.
Most people could not read and did not have a bible.
The priest was the educated person and he would do the reading for you and you payed him.
To you and me, Jesus might be just a dead guy. To the believer, he is alive and real and in some alternate dimension or something.
My guess is that to the believer, waiting to die and meet Jesus is like waiting 70 or so years to see some very exciting movie.
If you ask me, Jesus is dead. If you want to see what happens when you die, go to the cemetary or see a dead crushed squirrel in the streets. There is no evidence of an afterlife. I don't have absolute proof/evidence.

The reality is that we are emotional creature. We fear death, pain, disease. It is understandable that some people want to believe in a utopia. The bible itself starts with the garden of Eden story, which is a utopia.

abimelech:
"Yes, it is pretty much the same story over and over. Like the Napoleonic wars, the discovery of Pluto, doing math exercises, driving a car and most evertything else. That is no argument for its value or accuracy."

==Napoleonic wars is something real. It is real history.
Scientific matters such as discovery of Pluto is real.
Math exercises? Mathematics is a tool used in the sciences, electrical engineering, economics, computer science.
Not many people would say "I don't believe in math, science, wars.".
Religion is something else entirely. There are too many of them. How can they all be true when they are radically different?

Personally, I file it under anthropology. By learning about religions, we learn what humans have been up to in the past.
I treat that as real. I don't treat the religions themselves as real.

abimelech:
"You need to set aside your intellectual prejudices and over-weening certainty that you already know "the truth" if you honestly, sincerely, genuinely want to know the allure of Christianity."

==You can say that about anything. Someone can make up a story about smurfs living on some other planet and tell you that HE DID MAKE IT ALL UP.
Does that mean that you should not believe in smurfs living on some other planet?
Maybe that guy is lying. Maybe that guy is telling the truth that he made it up but by luck, smurfs really do exist.

How are we going to decide what is real and what is not?
I'm not going to go into a wild goose chase and look all over the universe for smurfs or gods and any story.
We call such stories, just-so-story.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-so_story

Posted by: hujo2MAGA ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 12:43PM

It's all about hope. Most people want the easy way out in life, or to be told that theres hope even if there is none. It may be an excuse for some people to feel better about themselves. Now I personally can't say if Christianity is real or not, but it would be nice if there was life after death.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: July 10, 2020 03:50AM

+hujo2:
"Now I personally can't say if Christianity is real or not, but it would be nice if there was life after death."

==The desire to survive, to escape danger, to escape pain is natural. All animals have that desire. Religion rides on that desire and spins long winded stories. It tries to comfort our psychological needs.

~~~~iceman9090

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.