Deconstructing Mormonism  : RfM
A discussion of Tom Riskas' book "Deconstructing Mormonism: An Analysis and Assessment of the Mormon Faith." 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: defycult ( )
Date: July 22, 2013 03:29AM

I think everyone should be grateful that TR did the research and spent the time many of us would like to have done if we had the time and inclination. It is well researched. AND, as has been pointed out, this is not an easy read and it was not intended to be. One can see that it is going to take some reading time, some digesting and thinking time and some more reading/digesting time to be able to really learn from it. I for one think it is worth it. I already understand some things about myself better. TR mentions his approaches and plans for the coming chapters before chapter 1 even begins so we know it was not intended to be read like a novel. It might take me a long time, but I feel it will be worth it. I also think it is long over due that such a scholarly book will deconstruct Mo-ism in serious depth with a lot of back up bands. It will be interesting to see what TSCC has to say about it. Save the criticism until you are at least 1/4 of the way through. I'd say to save it until you've read all of the book, but I know that many are going to want to get down and into criticisms before that. Nothing wrong with criticism especially on a book of this scope. If it didn't have critics, then it would mean people weren't really understanding and reading it. Congratulations TR, for better or worse, you have indeed stirred up a big pot of something.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blacksheep ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 12:27PM

I just got my copy yesterday!

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.