Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 04:20PM

I have some very liberal TBM friends who have lived all over the world. I have toured Germany and England with them and, most recently, Seoul (where my third son also lives).

On a visit to third son, I spent a good part of my time in my friends' home (although third son generously provided lodging in his apartment, I should mention that his apartment consists of 100 square feet and when the sleeping mat rolls out it takes up the entire space. The shower head is over the toilet and sink with a drain in the floor.)

My friends pray before every meal and I certainly held their hands and said a respectful amen or blessed be however the spirit moved me. Then one meal they asked me if I would "say the prayer."

I didn't hesitate, but prayer for me has become more of a thoughts of gratitude and good wishes directed in the general direction of the world at large and never aloud, but hey, they asked me to pray and they know me.

So I said something along the lines of (not addressed to anyone or thing) "It is good to gather as friends and share this meal and to think of friends and family far away. May our love reach our loved ones, may our minds be open to all life's possiblities, and may we travel about in safety this day. Blessed Be."

My friends did not say amen, blessed be, or anything. We went on with our meal and I was not asked to pray again. I don't think they minded particularly and it was really very liberating for me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 04:52PM

My experience is similar, my TBM friends always pray before meals, travelling etc and are equally liberal. I did get a kick out of Mrs X being out of instant coffee, as she always had it years ago, but not this time and apologized profusely. Like I could not go without a coffee for a few hours. But then these are people that got out and about courtesy of his military career, and I also suspect she was somewhat more liberated than her peers 30 years ago as she went to University before getting married and preggo. He and I went for a drive and I bought an extra large coffee when we stopped for gas, no problemo. Mormons insulated from the real world would prolly object.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 05:32PM

They had 1 cup brewer and a fresh bag of starbucks waiting for me!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.