Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 04:25PM

Update: MJ provided a more correct link (thx MJ):

http://www.legacy.com/can-vancouver/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=147810431

Saw an interesting obituary notice recently.

To see photo and obit, scroll down to third notice on pg 2:

http://www.legacy.com/can-vancouver/Obituaries.asp?Page=SEARCHRESULTS

Excerpts:

"Jan Holmberg, one of Whistler's pioneer business leaders, died Tuesday, November 30 at his home in Vancouver. Jan, 70, was diagnosed with colon cancer in the summer of 2008. He was predeceased by his partner of 36 years, Ted Nebbeling.

"On November 15, 2003, a few months after a B.C. Court of Appeal ruling legalized same-sex marriage, Ted and Jan were married at their Coal Harbour apartment. At the time, Ted was one of the most senior politicians in the world in a same-sex marriage. After Ted retired from provincial politics in 2005 the two traveled extensively."
-----

I love that this man and/or his family could be upfront about his life as a gay man to the extent that it's mentioned throughout his recent obituary. So much better than ignoring the reality that he was gay or denying it, as happens all too often in other families, including within Mormonism, as we know.

Both these men sound multi-talented and it's good to read of the rich, full, accomplished lives they led.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2011 06:59PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 04:30PM

As Ted and Jan, dressed all in white, embrace at their heavenly reunion.

Date: January 30, 2011 06:49PM

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 05:36PM

http://www.legacy.com/can-vancouver/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=147810431

It is not surprising that such a notice would happen in Vancouver. Vancouver has been called the San Francisco of Canada. It has a vibrant and active gay community. Friends of mine that live their say that a big change in both the gay community and the city as a whole when the Gay Games were held their in 1990.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_Gay_Games

It seems that when over 20,000 gay participants and spectators showed up from all over the world, we made a good impression.

Vancouver is where I hope to land after Utah.

Date: January 30, 2011 06:57PM

Not only is the gay community here vibrant, but it is located in one of the nicest areas in the region.

What is still sad is the number of gay bashings and other similar hate crimes that occur here against the GLBT community. I say that if you don't like it, why go to that specific street where you know that people will be living their lives as who they are (just like non-GLBT folks do wherever they are) and object to their "lifestyle" to the point you're going to visit bodily harm upon them?

But yeah, great city, vibrant lives, it's a wonderful place. And rivers, lakes and oceans abound, so what more could one wish for.

I feel too, too fortunate today. The sun is shining, birds and squirrels are playing in my garden, I've been out and about in the crisp sunny air and now my cupboards are stocked up with fresh fruit and veg from the local farmer's market. Best of all, there are political and cultural differences here but our politicos are well trained enough that nobody does enough to cause civil unrest, at least not in the streets, so we live a peaceful life with a lot of prosperity and freedom.

Yeah, great place. Grateful for it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.