Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: greengobbledyguck ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 02:24AM

so i sipped some red wine first time last night as i used it to make some sauce. $2,97 cheap bottle. eh. wasnt that impressed. whats the big deal with wine? did make a difference on the sauce when it got simmered down.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Did S ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 02:49AM

GGG, child. If you are going to sin and go to hell for the sake of a sip of wine, choose the more expensive plonk. In general, anything under 3 dollars is going to just be a bottle of vinegar.

Oooh, that makes me laugh- do you remember asking why Jesus made wine but we couldn't drink it? What did you get told? My mom always said that wine back then was just grape juice. I had my doubts about that, even as a five year old.

Posted by: qwerty6pack ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 07:27AM

In Egypt they lined ceramic jars with bee wax, because it takes so long for the wine to ferment that the jars could leak the juice.

The recipe for wine (simplifying here) is juice, sugar, yeast.

Fruit has naturally occurring yeasts on the skins.

Sugar, in the case of Egyptions, was Honey taken from the same bees who made the wax.

The jars were buried after filling, to keep them cool, and they did ferment into wine.

Wine makers today are doing a healthy business selling wine made in this way.

The oldest known vineyards, specifically attributed to wine making are around 7000 years old.

They fermented wine way back in Jesus' time.

If the bible says wine, it means fermented wine, I did research on it years ago.

If you want sauce recipes, or wine recipes, I have some good ones.

If you new to wine, but you're interested in why some of us spend a lot of time and money on it, I can share some suggestions.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 09:33AM

Cooking wine isn't fit for drinking, it's barely fit for cooking. I don't use expensive wine for cooking, but I do use "real" wine.

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 09:46AM

This ^^.

Cooking wine contains tons of salt. I am not much of a drinker, but you shouldn't drink cooking wine.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 09:53AM

Most of the recommendations about wine that I have seen for cooking is that the wine must be fit for drinking.

Posted by: Lenina ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 10:00AM

Do TBMs use wine for cooking? When I was TBM I'd freak out whenever a recipe called for wine, then pick a different recipe.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 10:13AM

There is NO MORE ALCOHOL remaining after cooking with wine, whiskey, beer etc...

Mormons are missing out on:

Bread Pudding w Whiskey Sauce
Sauteed Mushrooms w White Wine
Desserts w Kahlua, Tequila or Brandy

I suggest you start your journey w wine by going to a tasting or start with a sweet wine, $8 and up.

Breedum

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 10:45AM

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 11:42AM

And the easiest and most delicious chocolate mousse ever, made with Godiva liqueur and a little chocolate vodka and chocolate vodka.

Posted by: unklejack ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 11:12AM

First off you would never use out dated and subpar ingredients to cook with why would you ever use garbage wine to drink or cook with. Wine is a lot of fun to learn how to drink and cook with! Check out the pod case "wine for normal people" and take it all in!

Wine has been around for at least 7,000 years and beer even longer. The is no way the wine at the last supper was grape juice! Do the math. Christ was nailed to the cross in the spring (please correct me if I am wrong) Wine is harvested in the fall, made into wine and there is no way grape juice would not have turned into wine by the time of the last supper! Unless of course the grapes came from South America. Highly unlikely! The process of making wine and beer (barley which is good for you remember, and a good use for all that unused wheat you have in your basement) is just another part of a well stocked your food storage. They both have proven health benefits if in Moderation. Enjoy! your cooking and life is about to get a lot better!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 11:40AM

You are certainly not going to figure out what the big deal is about wine with a $2.97 bottle of red. But it's probably good for cooking. And BTW, the alcohol does NOT "cook out." But it's fun to let TBMs think that.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 11:53AM

A fine beef stew with wine is a great introduction to the difference wine can make in the taste of a dish.

You will see that it is added to "deglaze" the pan after the beef is dredged in flour and sauteed.

Happy cooking!

Ana

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 12:09PM

anagrammy Wrote:

> You will see that it is added to "deglaze" the pan
> after the beef is dredged in flour and sauteed.

------------------------------------------------------

Food Network Hotline:

http://youtu.be/4wr2Nh8Pf2A

Posted by: burnned ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 12:21PM

Wine actually MADE for Cooking, tastes Nasty!!! Try some wine made for drinking!!!

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 12:29PM

If you live in Utah and you bought the wine in the grocery store, it wasn't real wine. Real wine comes from the liquor store.

Date: August 24, 2013 12:55PM

hmm i bought mine at walmart

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 03:48PM

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 04:31PM

I bought Oak Leaf from Walmart as an experiment when cooking. It didn't do much to enhance the meal.

Next time I'll stick to a $10-15 bottle from Trader Joes and have some fun drinking a glass while I'm cooking with it.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 01:27PM

25 years as an executive chef
1.Salt in cooking wine renders it unfit for drinking. Also unfit for cooking.
2. A high quality Marsala, Burgundy,Chablis or Cabernet Savignon will add distinctive flavor to any appropriate dish.
Cheap wine will render the dish uneatable

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 01:45PM

Wine should not be added for the sake of adding wine. I know way to many people that dump a ton of wine in a dish without regard to the end flavor of the dish.

The flavor the wine will impart should be considered in regards to the overall balance of flavors of the dish. As with any other ingredient it is possible to add too much or too little.

Date: August 24, 2013 04:28PM

very good to know

Posted by: JasonK ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 01:36PM

Over the years, when we go out to eat, my oldest gets me to try different types of alcoholic drinks. I've yet to find one I liked. The wine was especially awful to me.

My family genealogy is very complete. I've several innactive and non-baptized ancestors. I even some who migrated to Nauvoo before being baptized! Some smoked, but very few drank alcohol and if they did, it was only very occasionally. This makes me wonder if the enjoying alcohol has a strong genetic component.

Posted by: Red ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 04:31PM

There may be a genetic component.

My father, his father, and his father were fond of alcohol. Addicts really.

Even before I became Mormon I was certain I'd never have a taste for alcohol and never intended to touch it, seeing how it destroyed our family. Not Mormon anymore and still have no desire.

A couple of dates have encouraged me to try a sip, and depending on what it is, it simpy doesn't taste good to me and/or burns going down.

I have other problems to deal with because I cannot do anything pleasurable in moderation, so I still intend to avoid alcohol in case I ever learn to enjoy it, I might never stop.

Posted by: moroniandcheesenotloggedin ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 01:41PM

I'm just barely beginning to like some of it. For the longest time, it all (even the expensive stuff) tasted like paint thinner.

When cooking with wine, usually all you need it for is to deglaze the pan after sautéing garlic or onions or whatever. Just a splash, before the other wet ingredients are added.

Posted by: Sunbeam ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 03:40PM

Julia Child's boeuf bourguignon will change your mind about wine in cooking. So rich and yummy!!! And make sure to get a good drinking wine. You only cook with the wine you would drink.

Date: August 24, 2013 04:08PM

Ditto that! That is the best recipe by far!

Posted by: anonni ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 03:53PM

If I have a bottle of red wine that's been opened but won't be finished by the next day (or one I don't love), I reduce it down to about half. I then freeze it in icecube trays and put in a ziploc bag. I have wine reduction ready to go at anytime.

Date: August 24, 2013 04:09PM

That's quite clever. I never thought of reducing red wine and then freezing it. I've reduced balsamic vinegar with sugar and it's to die for. It's great on spinach salad.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 04:41PM

I don't drink, but reserve alcohol intake to cooking & food prep. Alcohol can make food more complex & have more depth than it would otherwise without it. For instance, one of my favorite sorbets, a blackberry sorbet, has Chardonnay in it (not just artificial Chardonnay flavoring). It takes the edge off the blackberries, & also makes it less sweet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2013 04:54PM by Tristan.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 04:51PM

Cooking wine is garbage...just ask any chef...I cook with wine often. I don't have any hard and fast rules about what kind to use with whatever, but if I'm cooking a stir-fry or another combination dish and the bottom of the pan is getting glazed I'll pour in some wine to deglaze the pan and add flavor, because adding flavor is what it's all about anyway...and yes, anything under $10 is probably not worth buying.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Ramses ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 05:04PM

I am currently in the UK. But in Germany I recently cooked my risotto with a 10 Euro a bottle red wine for a change. Its normally white wine, but yummy. And risotto always goes along with wine.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.