Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 03:49PM

My apartment complex adopted a classroom at the local elementary school.

I purchased a load of pencils, crayons, notebooks, erasers, dry board markers, and other misc goods for the donation box.

It felt good and the tscc will see not a penny. ha.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 04:41PM

Good for you. That sounds like a worthy cause.

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 04:51PM

It is so rewarding and empowering to donate where YOU SEE FIT. I feel almost selfish doing it. Also, isn't it fun to donate anonymously! You expect nothing in return. Also, no one knows who to pester for more donations. Everybody benefits.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 06:20PM

I can tell you as a teacher that everything you donated will be put to good use. I can never get enough of any of those supplies. :-)

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 10:16PM

What I found interesting is that the drive is supposed to provide enough supplies for the one classroom that no matter what a family's situation is there will always be supplies for the room.

There was one of those tall donation boxes in the office and it was over half full and this was only the second day of the drive. It goes to the first of September.

My understanding is that every classroom at the school has been adopted. I think it is a great idea. That way it does not fall on the individual teacher. If one room has excess and another is short I am sure they work it out.

Thanks for being a teacher!

Posted by: Athena ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 08:02PM

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and/or Happy New Year to families in my city who can't afford to buy food.

Much more satisfying than giving money to a corporate cult.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 08:33PM

Good for you!

Since I left TSCC and stopped paying tithing our family has donated way, way more to those in need via organizations that actually help. We have also become actually involved in helping in the many cases where physical help is needed. It is great to know your $$ and time are actually accomplishing something worthwhile.

Mormons (I am generalizing, obviously) tend not to donate to any charitable organizations because they are so convinced The Church is doing so much good with their tithing. The numbers are out there clear for anyone who looks to see that they most certainly are not.

What is that scripture, "none so blind as those who will not see?"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.