Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: oliver cess ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 07:22PM

How has leaving Mormonism changed your life?
How has it changed your outlook in life?
How has it changed your character?
How has it changed your social views?
Have you found any new strength outside in yourself now that you have left?
And basically I want to know how leaving Mormonism has made you who you are today.

I'm not a Mormon and never have been. I just moved to Utah and want to better understand why people leave the church and what changes in life they find after leaving.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 08:08PM

I'm so very much less judgemental (except towards mormons) I accept people for who they are. I actually find people very interesting, even those that have lives and likes completely different than mine.

Leaving mormonism for some, like myself, is a huge, life altering adjustment. I feel like I'm starting over again, and in many ways I am.

Mormons friends have shunned me, and maybe that is a good thing because association with them is very difficult. They are addicted to a cult, and I'm not.

Mormons always want something from you, or have a conversion or reactivation subversive intention for associating with you. Or they shun you, or judge you.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 08:38PM

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 08:42PM

I don't think to much. I never got to deep into the mormons growing up. But being raised in a small mormon only farm town,,went along to get along. As soon as I moved from there into Salt lake,,never realy went again,,Wrote a get out letter, talked to bishop and that was that. My only problem was the discrimation and mormon favoritism in jobs and promotions i seen in this intermountain area.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 08:45PM

And there are a lot fewer people I feel obliged to hate.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 09:04PM

No more huffing at people for their "bad" habits. And like Stray Mutt, I quit hating myself (as much as previously).

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 09:14PM

I had a friend who hadn't seen me in a couple of years tell me that I was more "relaxed." I enjoy non-Mormons a lot more and I enjoy the company of Mormons a whole lot less.

I like having a lot more free time as I'm not running around in the Mormon hamster wheel trying to excel at everything the church wants one to do. It really gets to be too much.

I don't worry as much about what Mormons might think if I burn leaves on Sunday, have a beer, or puff on a cigar very occasionally. They are a very square bunch.

I'm also in pain sometimes now though because I can't get my wife and kids out of it. I took them into it about nine years ago and we may be looking at a divorce now. It's astonishing how the church can cheat you of your family.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 09:23PM

I think the biggest thing for me would be how I see myself. As a Mormon, as much of a goody-two-shoes as I was, I still never felt good enough.

I'm a very shy person, and I'm also hearing impaired, so I was not able to easily handle things like getting up in front of people and teaching a class. It was a huge deal for me to say a prayer, bear my testimony, or give a talk. I hate calling any attention to myself whatsoever.

The moment I made the decision to leave the Church, it was like a huge burden had been lifted off my shoulders and my almost non-existant self-esteem began to heal.

I keep saying that I feel I'm now leading a genuine life. I'm not apologizing if an occasional cuss word escapes my lips. I'm not defending my position on anything which might not be in agreement with LDS views, such as civil rights for gays.

I can study whatever I want to study. Or read whatever I want to read, without someone saying, "You shouldn't be reading that." I can watch any movie I want to watch. I can study science or philosophy, or the thoughts of great minds from all across the world and the ages. I'm free to believe, or not believe, whatever feels right to me.

I can discover what kind of person I really am. I'm the genuine me, rather than living in a particular way due to fear of possible eternal consequences.

I have 0% fear of eternal consequences now. That's such a freeing thing. I am who I am, because it's the me that I choose to be.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 10:36PM

That is BIG!
I am an authentic, honest, decent person without the overlay/trappings of religious dogma/teachings/commandments/traditions/rituals/ etc. Surprise! I didn't need any of those trappings to be the real me.

I prefer living in the NOW, not concerned about some reward or punishment in some imaginary after life.

I can accept that everyone needs to find their own way in this life and if that includes religion (or none) I am fine with that. I can accept that we are all very much alike: human beings that experience negativity such as: betrayal, false witness, hate, anger, bitterness, resentment, etc, as well positive experiences such as love, caring, compassion, loyalty, etc.

The religiously limited right and wrong, good and bad, ok and not ok, and making columns are no longer necessary.

I prefer to live without guilt, shame,regrets instilled by religiosity or any other reason.

I can be OK living with, and associating with, and having friends and relatives with a large variety of religious views, or none. It makes for a fantastic range of very intelligent discussions and experiences.

Leaving the LDS Church, changing my mind and no longer accepting the faith based claims as a map for how to live my life has changed my life from the inside out. There is no need for obedience to imposed teachings, and as a result, I can live freely with no fear of retribution, making peace with all of my life. Ahhh...sweet freedom! :-)

Posted by: DaisyChains ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 10:46PM

I have always had the "I can do whatever I want" rebellious attitude but I really haven't felt my life change for the better or worse until I became a parent.

I love that I have the ability to teach my kids what I feel is important...total self expression, acceptance, and love...NO MATTER WHAT!

Posted by: GIDEON ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 11:38PM

I was like born again.

I can still recall that day and moment when I realised it
is all one big lie. I had truly joined a man made cult.

The fear of Jesus and God went out of the windows, so was the hope of an imagery celestial life.

But in return I got back my freedom and life.

I still regard that day as the most important event in my life.

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: January 30, 2011 11:58PM

oliver cess Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How has leaving Mormonism changed your life?
10% richer 100% FREER.Infinite% happier!

> How has it changed your outlook in life?

3 hours of freed up life, and excitement, instead of hours and hours of useless make work projects, 15 hours a month, and 6 hours going back and forth to the temple. relieves alot of depression, when I can actually allocate that time to rest recovery, and doing things that enrich my life.

> How has it changed your character?

>> Truly happy and cheerful person.

> How has it changed your social views?

I tend to want to help people leave this cult, but more importantly I want to assist people to suffer less (volunteering), So I can spend my time actually doing USEFUL service. Instead of mindless make work service.

> Have you found any new strength outside in

>>> Although I am still struggling to find my neiche in the world, leaving Mormonism, forces you to give up the opiate of the masses, and make a so called "go" in the world your own. This demands resonsibility, as you can't blame a God, or blessing or not blessing you. That you are your own person, your own destiny, and your own story. You are the lead in your own story, instead of being a sidekick in Smith's or the Priesthood. This is your Sitcom, your mini series. This is Your life. This is you. You no longer have "I'm a Latter day "Saint", identification label. You broke free of the Morg-cube. and as Geordie explained individual Ann Raynd isms to Huge the Borg. Geordie, wants what Geordie wants. etc etc etc. This is the American dream (when eventually I get myself a Green Card). And most importantly who gives a flying bleep of how you dress (the so called "Freaks of Walmart" facebook page).. This is what I love about America, you dress how you WANT TO DRESS. YOU Do how you want you to do, (legally of course). With the Mormon hymn "I say what you want to say oh lord, I'd do what you want me to do. I'll go where you want me to go on lord, I'll be what you want me to be". T

his is most Unamerican. In America (once I get a Green card, and pay taxes, and voluneer for Scouts, and Congressional Youth Award, and live where I can cut my own grass etc etc etc with pets, and I EARN the love of my children or spouse). In America, You are guarenteed three things "Life (murderers are unamerican traitors), presuit of happiness, and liberty. This applies to your life now as a Ex-mormon. You are your own person. This is how us kitty cats do it. Either you love us, or don't but F.O. either way. meeooooowwwwwww purrr purrrr.

> yourself now that you have left?
> And basically I want to know how leaving Mormonism
> has made you who you are today.
>

>>> For starters, I have my brain back. I am responsible for my consequences, not oh noes the Bishop yelled at me (which sucks especially if you put your heart into something), your beliefs are yours not the Morgs. YOU CHOOSE who you want to associate with instead of the Naziesque question 'Do you associate with enemies of the church?". You chose what you want to do with your money. Instead of tithe settlement (I chose the charities, and no they don't include building grand temples). You can chose chose and chose some more. It's tiring on the brain I know. Professor Parnasis (one of Heith Ledger's last movies actually), begged "no more choices", as he wandered the insides of his imaginarium (his brains, and all he could find were signs posting locations back and forth). Sitting down and vegging out enjoying life after major triumphs in life is very refreshing. Not so with Mormonism Mormonism it's learn learn learn, go go go. (forgetting that their own relgion states that in heaven when you don't have a physical body to tire you out, you can still intellectually (ha ha ha Mormonism), stimulate yourself.

"Perfecting the Saints", is a common theme with Mormonism. You're never enough. Keep growing. Forget that you have a human body, that needs to feed itself, that you have children who need physical and emotional nurshionment, forget that the church sucks away 3 hours of your life every Sunday, that that you must give, away hard earned money that could be used to enrich your life and children's lives as well as support your physical obligations (food and house). Forget that your brain is porrige. Forget that you owe taxes.... oh don't forget the temple trip! (For us Calgarians when there was no Calgary temple, it was 6 to Cardston, (3 there and back), like honestly if you're a tired adult parent, who just wants one second to rest and vege out, (or more if you're an Autistic like me). But no you have to prefect yourself. An impossible task, for only Jesus can prefect us. If we're willing to take this opportunity.

I honestly feel miserable for those of you guys who have spent 40 years, living like this. :_( (Sad cat). esepcially if you grow older and the body has took on damage, and regenerates slower. The Mormon church. Give give give, work work work, prefect prefect prefect, and then the posters "if you love them leave them", (grandparents to grand kids, to go on a mission).

> I'm not a Mormon and never have been. I just moved
> to Utah and want to better understand why people
> leave the church and what changes in life they
> find after leaving.

>>> Total freedom, and happiness? No Leaving the church is extremely rocky. During the early ages of facebook say 2008-2009. Alot of us would feel compelled to post libertarian posts from the heart. Only to get "blocked" (removed), by loved ones. Like actual flesh and blood loved ones. It honestly hurts during the love bombing phase. Mormons actually do care about us, (on an individual familar level, we're a very close knit community), As a Young Single Adult. I had many friends (actual friends who came to my house and visited me here, throughout my childhood, I had so called "I have 0 friends" (southpark facebook episode). The Love bombing phase consists of becoming a project for a ward to reactivate. Honest friendly intentions, because Christianity or Mormonism, or Islam or whatever works for someone doesn't mean it wont' work for you, but they think you're defective like a mental patient, or someone who has the illness. and they want to honestly heal you. But the thing is nothing is wrong. You want to coexist and leave quietly but you are love bombed, given gifts, suprise visits from neighbors, or members who you're close with in the church. or your mentor. And it hurts at first to quarrentine yourself. after making the decision to stop going to church, being less active.

Because how you deny someone who is close to you? If they're being immature or frightened enough or at a lower level in their so called cosmic awareness, yadda yadda yadda. and you eventually have to cut them off completely. It's like breaking up with a boyfriend, or girlfriend, or spouse. After spending so much time, and intergrating person into your life. It's like the old house you grew up in, but you have to move out as it's located in the ghetto, termites are chewing it up, or it's ready to collapse after years of neglect etc.

Then the phase comes as if you kindly rebuff them. They might get hurt. You might get hurt, but you have to do this for your sanity, for your cardiac organs to remain intact. You write your exit letter. (a resignation letter), unlike conventional churches, Mormonism actually exists much like the Vatican, as a "government" or God's kingdom church, with courts and tribunals, and throne system and beleive that the priesthood has some sort of political power in the kingdom to come. (where as conventional churches, believe that they are "citizens" in this kingdom). So leaving means sort of like how someone denounces their old citizenship, turns in their passport (resignation letter). the government remonstrates but has to relent. But takes it own sweet time, to do so. (to retain what little power it has over you for as long as possible) they'll say they lost the papers, or they need to go through a trial period, before you're totally serious, ignoring secular powers that insist that you have a right to CHOOSE. then the fists start flying with relatives, close friends who you though you were friends. Because to them you're rejecting everythign they believe. (when no, you're just excercising your American desire to try and find what makes you happy in this sad sad sad world, and you wonder why they won't even allow you this privilige, when the world denies it to you). Normally helping people enjoy life, is what I enjoy and joys me.

Then the shunning begins. Your friends who loved you, your family tend to disappear. Trying to keep your influence away from them, that you might actually suceed (and many do, after the recovery period. Which may take years. I'm still relatively recovering now, some of use here have been sexually abused, physically abused, definatly emtionally abused, otherwise we wouldn't have left).....

Family might not even stop with their mission to bring you back to the Eternal Family. (Mormons believe that familes when sealed together may remain forever connected), if I had accendants I would definatly want them to enjoy happiness, find joy, perhaps if they so chose would honour me, is that they honestly help others find comforting joy.

In Utah there are reports here, that sometimes outright shunning has become unprofessional, as some of us are denies customers, or boycotted (I know that my Gas station, when I was slowly experimenting with returning, was frequented by my former ward members, however, when I eventualy stopped going for good this time. So did they). Some even have nosey former friends turn the asile conrner when shopping and other childish acts of immaturity.

But alot of us are slowly rediscovering ourselves, excercising our hearts. finding out what our dream is. for instance mine would be to leave china, and settle in Hong Kong for a while, and culturally enrich myself with a Chinese musical instrument, make a huge string of fire crackers, in the snape of the Calgary Flames, and fire them off so they glow at night, and cc it to the Flames, to practice a Martial art, and to give blood (something my Chinese classmate bullies who are working nice comfy jobs didn't do. Sure I'm dumber than a rock, and slow clumsy. But I helped serve the Chinese people. Their people. so call me a retard and shun me. I have done something they haven't bring gentlness to vulunerable Chinese. AND still earn a nice suburban living....

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 12:40AM

oliver cess Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How has leaving Mormonism changed your life?

It has changed the meaning of my life. . . . the way I see myself and how I see my relationship to the world. My view of the human race has also changed a lot. Also, what's important vs. what's not has changed.

> How has it changed your outlook in life?

Whole new outlook. Instead of life being a TEST, it's a one-shot deal. This ain't the dress rehearsal. It's all there is.

True morality isn't based on following rules set up by some invisible being, but based on not hurting other people.

And the ONLY thing that shows/proves who you are is WHAT YOU DO. What you say means NOTHING unless it's reflected in your actions. Lip service to religion is absolutely meaningless to judge a person's character. In fact, often the more lip service a person gives to religion, the less you should trust them.

> How has it changed your character? Not a lot, but my motivations have changed. I'm not trying to earn an eternal reward now, just trying to be a good person and live a happy and authentic life.

I'm much less concerned with how people judge me and more concerned about if I'm living the life I want to live.

> How has it changed your social views?

More tolerant. More protective of people's rights to govern their lives according to their own beliefs (two thumbs up for gay marriage, etc). Less likely to judge people based upon appearance.

I think we do have a responsibility as humans to watch out for each other, especially the less fortunate.

> Have you found any new strength outside in
> yourself now that you have left?
I've realized that I can get through a lot, and I could have all along, as God was never there to begin with. I'm stronger because I'm not waiting for God to swoop and save the day or tell me what to do. I have to act for myself.

My husband and friends/family are a strength outside myself. True, it WAS nice to have a whole ward full of helping hands, but those people are still my neighbors. I'd help them if they needed it, and I do think they'd help me in a time of crisis.

> And basically I want to know how leaving Mormonism
> has made you who you are today.

I had to reinvent myself from the inside out. I'm still the same person, but a lot stronger and I do feel better about myself.

I'm much more likely to be skeptical of claims and I also trust my gut more than I used to when it tells me to be careful or to mistrust. I used to be a lot more gullible.

>
> I'm not a Mormon and never have been. I just moved
> to Utah and want to better understand why people
> leave the church and what changes in life they
> find after leaving.

Watch out. If you want to get along with Mormons, it's better never to join than it is to LEAVE. I think it would be smart for you to learn as much as you can about Mormonism (not the sanitized version from the missionaries, but to your own study). It would also probably be wise to learn about setting personal boundaries so you can draw a line in the sand and not let people harrass you to join.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.