Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: iris ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 04:01PM

Tomorrow is the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington, recognizing Martin Luther King, Jr. and the other Civil Rights Leaders.

Just checking to see if any of you, your family and/or friends attended.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 28, 2013 09:37AM

Bueller?

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 10:05AM

I was a year and half old then, but this speech formed much of my life. A few years ago DH and I went to Washington DC and I stood on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial where MLK stood when he gave this speech. It was quite an exhilerating moment.

Date: August 28, 2013 10:22AM

It was an incredible speech. I was 11 at the time but served my mission in Louisiana and Mississippi in the mid 1970s before the priesthood prohibition to Blacks was rescinded--sparking my interest in Civil War, Reconstruction history.

Thanks for the post.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 04:20PM

According to Mormon belief, I was in the preexistence at the time, but I did watch the rebroadcast of MLK's speech today on CNN. It was a great speech, and the first time I heard the entire thing as growing up, we only got to see bits of it.

Posted by: S. Tissue Trotter ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 05:44PM

The OP's question is possibly ambiguous, as to whether you are asking if we attended the original or the 50th anniversary - either would be interesting to hear about. Because you are using past tense the day before it, guess you are asking only about the original.

I missed the original (missed Woodstock too, sorry to say) and saw the anniversary this afternoon live on YNN (Time Warner cable) which regrettably did not see fit to pay to have it close-captioned. Since I was watching on a TV at our upscale supermarket (about a mile from the trendy restaurant where Obama lunched last week) I could not change the channel. It was news to me that MLK's sister was alive - wonder why I'd never heard of her.

Date: August 28, 2013 06:28PM

Sorry if I was unclear. Just asking if anyone or their family and friends attended 50 years ago. I thought it would be interesting to hear about it. MLK, Jr.'s speech was incredible.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.