Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 07:29PM

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865585321/How-LDS-Church-members-can-help-themselves-and-loved-ones-deal-with-doubt.html

Go to the bottom of the second page and check out #10 in the "Tips For Dealing With Doubt" list!

Then what's the point of being a MORMON Brother Marsh???

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: crom ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 07:42PM

Don't let doubt linger. Stop thinking forbidden thoughts. Now. Stop. Don't. think. that.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 07:42PM

...this is the one I like.

Those who struggle with doubts may feel ashamed and embarrassed by their feelings. When loved ones share their doubts, Marsh said, it is important for family and friends to reach out with love and compassion.

“As we see people struggle with these things we must have complete compassion and love for them and immediately stretch out our hand. Don’t wait,” Marsh said. “Help your friend not to feel embarrassed by having doubts. They may start to feel like they’re unworthy or less than the other members that don’t appear to have any doubts. So help them understand that it’s OK, that they don’t need to feel embarrassed.

...so, anyone who questions is immediately labeled as sub-par. Wonderful.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 07:55PM

They miss the point, treating doubt as if it were a rash or common cold, something wrong with you, but don't worry, we won't condemn you...

Doubt is to be embraced. It is the sign of a rational person who thinks critically. Everything should be doubted until sufficient evidence can be gotten to show it is probably true. They speak as if erasing doubt is a worthy goal! BS. That is nothing but robbing a person of their free thought, and duping them into believing a dogma. I do not believe TSCC is true or that Joseph Smith was a prophet. It fact I don't believe anyone was ever a prophet. I think the BOM is a fiction through and through. I examined all the evidence and history I could find over a period of years to come to these conclusions. I doubt less about religion now.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 08:20PM

The part that really caught me out was when he told the story of Nelson and how previously science said you shouldn't touch the heart, but now it's all the rage.

He goes on to say that science with its built in proven evidence based methodology is still just relative truth not absolute truth. This is the perfect stop short method used to allow people to confuse themselves.

If this Marsh clown had any interest in being honest he would have said that with religion you need to distinguish between what is total bullshit and the beliefs and practices we are left with today because western civilization dragged us here.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 08:26PM

Religion is just like science? WTF? Science doesn't stop asking questions or looking for answers. Theories are put to the test and changed if need be as more information comes to light. Ideas are debated and discussed.

The fact that Joseph Smith made the Book of Mormon up or plagiarized others' ideas makes more sense than any of the church's convoluted explanations. But will we ever hear them say that officially? Never.

The other thing I never hear church officials say to members is to accept mormonism on their own terms. After all, if you are not a full tithe payer then you are as unworthy as someone who pays no tithes at all. And when members in Switzerland asked questions, they were told to shut up or leave.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 08:35PM

They assume it's a struggle. They love to use that word.

It wasn't a struggle at all. That was the big surprise.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 08:45PM

Loving family member: Oh my God! Oops, I'm sorry I reacted that way...I just wasn't prepared for what has happened to your, your, oh honey, you know I love you!

Lfm's neighbor: I heard what happened to your family member. I know it must be a terrible shock to see him/her that way. If there's anything we can do...

Eavesdropper: Holy crap! Did you hear what happened to bro/sis so-n-so? It looks just horrible, their family really needs our prayers right now.

Doubting member: Why is everyone acting so strange around me? Has there been an accident?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.