Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 09:47PM

I was talking with a Jack Mormon a couple of weeks ago about going fishing in the ocean and he did not want to go. I found out that he is afraid of the ocean because his father had told him the missionaries are not allowed to swim because Satan controls the waters. I tried to explain to him the reason why missionaries are not allowed to swim but he would not consider it because his daddy believes the Mormon Urban Myth about Satan controlling the water.

Where the heck did this stupid myth start? Only Mormons continue to believe urban myths even when their leaders try to stop them by telling the truth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Yaqoob ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 11:34PM

Oh it's not a myth. They now call it an urban legend (because its so damn stupid.) Makes sense that an old suspicious jack mo would believe it cuz it probably had more merit years ago than now, but it's not born from nowhere. Observe (from an apologist site):

Background of the revelation
The introduction to D&C section 61 provides background:
On their return trip to Kirtland the Prophet and ten elders had traveled down the Missouri River in canoes. On the third day of the journey many dangers were experienced. Elder William W. Phelps, in daylight vision, saw the destroyer riding in power upon the face of the waters.
The following revelation was then received:
DC 61:13-19
13 And now, behold, for your good I gave unto you a commandment concerning these things; and I, the Lord, will reason with you as with men in days of old.
14 Behold, I, the Lord, in the beginning blessed the waters; but in the last days, by the mouth of my servant John, I cursed the waters.
15 Wherefore, the days will come that no flesh shall be safe upon the waters.
16 And it shall be said in days to come that none is able to go up to the land of Zion upon the waters, but he that is upright in heart.
17 And, as I, the Lord, in the beginning cursed the land, even so in the last days have I blessed it, in its time, for the use of my saints, that they may partake the fatness thereof.
18 And now I give unto you a commandment that what I say unto one I say unto all, that you shall forewarn your brethren concerning these waters, that they come not in journeying upon them, lest their faith fail and they are caught in snares;
19 I, the Lord, have decreed, and the destroyer rideth upon the face thereof, and I revoke not the decree.
What waters is the Lord referring to?
Note that the Lord specifies these waters. Joseph Fielding Smith provides some additional clarification:
These brethren while encamped at McIlwaine's Bend on the Missouri, beheld the power of the destroyer as he rode upon the storm. One of that number saw him in all his fearful majesty, and the Lord revealed to the entire group something of the power of this evil personage. It may seem strange to us, but it is the fact that Satan exercises dominion and has some control over the elements . . . Paul speaks of Satan as the "prince of the power of the air. " (Eph.2:2) The Lord revealed to these brethren some of the power of the adversary of mankind and how he rides upon the storm, as a means of affording them protection. They were commanded to use judgment as they traveled upon these waters, and the saints coming to Zion were instructed to travel by land on their way up to Zion. Moreover, notwithstanding the great power of Satan upon the waters, the Lord still held command and he could protect his people whether on land or by water as they journeyed. [1]
B.H. Roberts indicates that this refers specifically to the waters of western Missouri:
After three days upon the river they reached McIlwaine's Bend where they camped for the night, and here an important revelation was given relative to their own movements and also in relation to the "destroyer" that should ride upon those western waters, and the danger thereafter of journeying upon them. Shortly after landing, and before night fell upon the scene, William W. Phelps beheld in open vision the "destroyer" in his most horrible power ride upon the face of the waters. "Others," continues the Prophet in his narrative, "heard the noise but saw not the vision." "Behold there are many dangers upon the waters," said the revelation, "and more especially hereafter; for I, the Lord, have declared in mine anger, many destructions upon the waters; yea, and especially upon these waters [i. e. of western Missouri]. * * * And now, behold, for your good, I give unto you a commandment concerning these things." Then follows instructions to the saints who shall hereafter journey to the land of Zion, not to go upon the river, but by land, "pitching their tents by the way." [2]

It's an oldie, but still a goodie bit of stupid myth...mingled with scripture.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 11:38PM

It is ridiculous how far people go with this myth.
Case in point: My TBM FIL will not get in his hot tub on Sunday because he's afraid he'll drown. Seriously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2013 11:39PM by hangar18.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 11:58PM

Well, duh, he does.

;o)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:05AM

From my literature classes yea, in the days of yore, I recall that there was a medieval suerstition that a ghost or evil spirit could not pass over a body of moving water. I think it was from "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight." Sir Gawain escaped by riding over a bridge.

Or something like that.

Oh, these superstitions!

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:07AM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:10AM

I've told this story dozens of times, but it needs repeating. My TBM Beehive advisor really believed so much that Satan controlled the waters, that she believed he broke her washing machine. :D

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:59AM

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!

;o)

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 01:12AM

The lesson that Sunday was also about how Satan can use your words against you if you speak out loud, because he can't read your mind. (Nevermind that the exact opposite is also taught in the cult. So which is it people? Cam Satan read our minds or not?) Anyway, he had been upset the day this happened. She felt like Satan was attacking her, so she said out loud, "You're not going to win, Satan!" & then she said her washer broke down within seconds. Because Satan was attacking her & heard her words. :D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2013 01:13AM by Tristan.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:25AM

Ezra Booth letters offer some insight.

Ezra Booth was with JSJ on the trip when his canoe threatened to tip over, and then his ego was hurt because he wasn't good at at canoeing. Then he was overcome with the spirit telling him to take the stage.

Ezra Booth lost his testimony pretty quickly as he suddenly realized that JSJ had a lot of revelations that were merely about getting what he wanted when he wanted it.

The September 10, 1831 letter tells the story.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:58AM

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 01:57AM

I do NOT believe Satan controls anything, but the discovery channel documentary on rogue super waves scared the Hell out of me!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.