Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 10:13PM

Starting of course with the Mount Meadows Massacre, and the lesser known Aiken Massacre, but including witnesses against the church or Brigham Young who either died violently, or died under suspicious circumstances, apostates who have been confirmed as having been murdered, Missourians killed by Mormon terrorist, ext. I think such a list would be a valuable online resource, especially if it separated those who were known to have been murdered, and those having been found to die under suspicious circumstances.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 10:16PM

I have tried to get an idea of body count between Mormons and their enemies, but haven't come up with a definitive answer. So far, it looks like Mormons killed a lot more people that their "enemies" did! They castrated a few guys along the way, too...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2013 10:16PM by rationalist01.

Date: August 27, 2013 10:19PM

Oh that reminds me, guys who were rubbed out, so that priesthood leaders could collect on their wives or girlfriends.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 10:20PM

I like the way you think fbc!!! This may be a project that even low contributing members of the rfm board (like me) could be a part of because we would only need to review a few sources for information.

Let the coordination begin!

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 10:21PM

You mean proactively murdered? Can we count those who the Mormon church sucked the life out of?

Date: August 27, 2013 10:24PM

Hey, ohhhhhhhh........let's keep this to a manageable number!

Date: August 27, 2013 10:24PM

For the sake of time, let's limit it to proactively murdered.

Posted by: houseonsand ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 11:09PM

1) Laban

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 11:26PM

They fictionally killed millions in that book.

But we could have a couple of secondary files "violent cultural archetypes" and "inadequate excuses given".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2013 11:26PM by crom.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 11:46PM

FBCD - I've been looking for such a list for a couple of days, no luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2013 12:15AM by crom.

Posted by: Sagan Standard ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 01:56AM

John G. Turner lists half a dozen or so during Brigham Young's tenure. He said fairly recently that there was at least one more murder in that era that he learned about after his book was published, which he would have included. His book is Brigham Young: Pioneer Prophet.

Posted by: NotSoSure ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 02:38AM

I just read John Doyle Lee's book, "Mormon Menace" about the Danites. He names several names in there that the Danites were said to have killed. I'd love to find out if it's all true, pure fabrication, or something in between.

Date: August 28, 2013 02:40AM

I'm sure they killed plenty, but this is one of those areas where the facts need a little digging. Someone light up the Steve Benson signal, or see if we can page a Salt Lake Taxi.

Posted by: Gay Philosopher ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 02:48AM

Here's just a small, tragic sampling. May their loved ones find peace and healing:

http://www.affirmation.org/suicides/

Steve

Date: August 28, 2013 03:01AM

Thank you. Creating a situation of psychological abuse, that then leads to the death of the persecuted by their own hand can be said to be a form of murder. It would also be interesting to read the journals and records of the families of men and women who killed themselves in the Utah frontier days, but alas a good deal of that material is sealed away inside the granite vaults, probably under conditions that will assure their eventual destruction.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 02:59AM

Date: August 28, 2013 03:05AM

No I have decided to limit limit this to actual confirmed deaths, and not fictional deaths. While a few interesting sources have been suggested, actual names and details relating to their demise have yet to come forward. I want hard names, with hard dates, and known causes of death that would shine a negative light on Brigham Young and the early church.

Date: August 28, 2013 03:08AM

As a fan of someone who would like to see a manageable number, I hope not. I think one of the first groups we need to rule out is fan fictions killings.

We'll have enough real killings to deal with so let's not complicate the whole thing.

BTW SB, if you see this I hugely appreciate your posts over the last week (or 2). I only say this because like many other people here that do not post in your threads because we have nothing better to say or add, we do appreciate them.

Posted by: enginerd ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 04:09AM

The Potter/Parrish murders in Springville, Utah, 1857 would clearly go on such a list.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.