Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 11:49PM

Emotion makes us better – so long as it remains in it’s proper place: subject to truth and reason. - Anon

That is the problem with Mormonism. Emotions rule. Truth, reason, common sense, evidence, perception all take a back seat to what they feel. And what they feel, they know. It's like putting your toddler behind the wheel of your life. You may have the sweetest kid ever but "the terrible twos" are an emotion driven age and they aren't going to have the knowledge or reason to drive your life anywhere you want to go safely. Don't let your toddler self determine your life. In most cases, "follow your heart” is probably the worst advice ever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:20AM

To review, Freud saw the human personality as composed of three main elements:

The Id: the instinctive, emotinal from-the-gut part of you.
The Ego: "The ego acts according to the reality principle; i.e. it seeks to please the id’s drive in realistic ways that will benefit in the long term rather than bring grief." (Wikipedia)
The SuperEgo: "reflects the internalization of cultural rules, mainly taught by parents applying their guidance and influence."

This is certainly an oversimpflication, but I see LDS culture as having a very dominant superego, which subjugates the Id (emotions) and the adult ego (rationality, compromise, negotiator, etc.) to its agenda.

Allow me an application: "bearing one's testimony." Now there is little rational basis for the testimony, that "burning in the bosom." One has been taught, quite severely, that one must have this emotional experience. It is important to validate what the superego has learned from the cultural arbiters (parents, etc.). So the id complies, and says,"Yes! I felt that buring in the bosom!" And the ego falls in line, and "explains" it by giving it an intellectual validation ("the Holy Ghost"). Thus, the cultural dictates of the Superego rule supreme.

This does not contradict you, CAgirl. But by looking at the emotions (id), I think you're starting from the bottom up, and with Mormonism we should start from the top (superego) down.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.