Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: benjimanluther ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 03:53AM

A work colleague and friend of mine learned last week that his SIL is terminally ill with an inoperable brain tumor and has only days to live. It has been devastating for him and his family and my heart goes out to them.

During my time in LDS Inc, I was taught that tragedies such as this are an ideal time for proselyting because people in these situations are humble and teachable (i.e. emotionally vulnerable). As a believer, I would have been very conflicted in this situation. I would have been torn between religious pressure to try to convert my friend, and my own feelings that such an effort would have been intrusive, inappropriate, and potentially damaging to the friendship. I hope that I would have respected my friend's grief by not trying to convert him, even though I probably would have felt like I was letting God down by not "doing my duty."

As tragic as this situation is, I can't help feeling some measure of relief, because leaving Mormonism means that I can simply be a friend. Instead of feeling like a failure for not trying to convert my friend, I can do what normal people do: I can mourn for my friend's suffering, and be available if he needs a hand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2011 04:04AM by benjimanluther.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 04:43AM

Sadly, what you say about mormon missionary efforts is accurate. Anyone I know who was converted to mormonism says they were facing a vulnerable situation when the mormons stepped in to take charge. It can be anything from the normal lonliness of a move to a new town or something as difficult as you describe.

Thankfully, as an exmo you don't feel you must capitalize on this situation and can just honestly be there for your friend in need.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.