Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NotSoSure ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 02:25AM

I just finished reading "The Mormon Menace: The Confessions of John Doyle Lee, Danite." About halfway through the book, Lee wrote:

"Also the Saints were given to understand that their marriage relations with each other were not valid, and that those who had solemnized the rites of matrimony had no authority of God to do so. The true priesthood had been taken from the earth with the death of the apostles and inspired men of God. Since then people were married to each other only by their own covenants, and if their marriage had not been productive of blessings and peace, and they felt it oppressive to remain together, they were at liberty to make a new choice, as much as if they had not been married. The Prophet taught that it was a sin for people to live together and beget children in alienation from each other."

OK, have any of you heard of this before? Basically, according to Lee, JS said that if couples weren't happy they could just split up and find other spouses. Later on in the book I think he wrote about couples who did just this, but I can't find the reference at the moment.

So, you scholars, do you know if there are any other writings that confirm that JS taught this?

Thanks!
Carol

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 02:32AM

Well, you can't be totally wrong about everything all the time I guess. Though in Smith's case, this might be an example of teaching the right thing for a very wrong reason, since it was probably only as an excuse to sleep with married women.

Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 06:37AM

Fascinating!! I never heard this before! It is consistant w/his taking married women as his wifes. So I can see him basically advocating a form of wife swapping. And its also the kind og thing the historians white wash. Let us know what you find!! Sounds interesting!!

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 09:22AM

I'd be interested in knowing whether JS or BY said this, and when.

If JS said it, did he do so before the "PH" was "restored," or after? Before would make more sense, since there would be no sealing authority for marriages. It would also have enabled him to multi-wife it merrily in Kirtland or Nauvoo or Missouri or wherever they were at the time.

If he said it after, that poses some interesting questions. Could women dump their polygamist husbands and go find monogamous ones if they felt like it?

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 09:28AM

I seem to remember a quote from BY along these same lines, that non-sealed marriages weren't REALLY valid, and if a wife wanted to trade up to a higher-ranking Mormon man, and the higher-ranking man wanted her, she could trade up, no civil divorce necessary. How convenient for BY, since at the time, no one was higher ranking in the church than him.

He made no mention of women being allowed to ditch an unsuitable husband and stay single, however, so I doubt his real interest was protecting women from shitty marriages.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 05:40PM

As I understand BY's teaching, which he claimed to have had from Joseph in Nauvoo (which is supported by historical evidence), even a sealed wife could trade up to a higher priesthood office holder, to obtain for herself a higher kingdom in the hereafter. This is why Joe could justify taking the wives of other leading brethren.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 09:48AM

In other words: "I'm the guy with the Red Phone to God, so do what I say, because I may want your wife."

I also noticed this: "...a sin for people to live together and beget children in alienation from each other."
How busy does the church keep you? FHE is there because it's the only time you may be all together, and even THAT is an order from the church. And whose children are they really? I would venture to say that deep down the church thinks the children belong to them...

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 10:40AM

Kinda goes against what the BoM teaches <divorce without adultery is BAD... (3rd Nephi 12, mimics the bible)>.

If it was recorded in the JoD... it's 'automatically' inoperative!

Oh Well, it's Mormonism; No Problem!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.