Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 10:58AM

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/08/same-sex-marriage-in-new-mexico-95975.html

This is a major development in NM, and the first state in the Mountain West to push gay marriage. This puts it right at Utah's doorstep, as NM is the most Mormon state other than California to have legalized gay marriage.

I would not be surprised to see Colorado and Oregon follow suit shortly. Other large Mormon population areas with gay marriage rights are Washington (2012), Alberta (2005), and large parts of Mexico.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jl1718 ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 11:02AM

I will not be surprised in 10 years if it is legalized at a federal level, forcing all states to recognize it. It is not really a matter of if, but when.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 11:03AM

Moving (much too) slowly and steadily towards true equality in our country.

YAY!!

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 11:15AM

Gotta proudly point out that while Alberta is a large Mormon population area, all of Canada legalized gay marriage back in 2005.

And for the lurkers: we're still in one piece, no marriage to cats and dogs or widespread economic collapse. We have not been destroyed by fireballs or the hand of god. The main thing that changed since we introduced gay marriage is that we now have married gay people.

Date: August 28, 2013 11:23AM

I picked out Alberta because of its Mormon population. Ontario and Québec legalized gay marriage in 2003, and in 2005 the rest of the country followed suit.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 11:21AM

Four of my 7 heterosexual siblings' marriages ended in divorce. Must be because of gay marriage.

To hell with "irreconcilable differences" and "infidelity."

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:07PM

It's been great to see this on the local news. Santa Fe is a very progressive city in a very conservative and screwed-up state.

Posted by: mike ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:30PM

I'm glad that NM is openng up up to this. I agree tht NM is screwed up, but it is a left leaning state. ;)

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:46PM

Definitely in places like Santa Fe and Taos, but around my area (4 Corners) and the other smaller towns (of which there are many here), it is very conservative IMNSHO.

Edit: after doing a little reading and research, amusingly enough, it seems like the liberals say the state is too conservative and the conservatives say it's too liberal. :D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2013 01:03PM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: mike ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 04:58PM

I live in the four corners, too!! With a righty governor and voting for a lefty president, NM could be considered a swinger state lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2013 05:00PM by mike.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:20PM

NM strikes me as the 'most liberal' IMW state...

Date: August 29, 2013 11:50AM

NM was a swing state in 2000 and 2004, but Obama won it easily in 2008 and 2012. They have a Republican governor now, but like Colorado, it is moving further to the left.

A large part of this is the collapse of GOP support among non-Cuban Hispanics. Both states have sizable Hispanic populations, which you would expect for a state named after Mexico.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:33PM

I lived in NM and never thought of it as a Mormon state -- lots of Catholics, though. I'm glad they are allowing gay marriages now.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 04:49PM

"as NM is the most Mormon state other than California to have legalized gay marriage."

Not - Washinton has about five times as many mormons as NM. Except for the Northwest corner, NM is relatively mormon free.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 05:28PM

I love that Washington got equal! I'm waiting to check off all the states I have lived in:
Iowa (check)
Vermont (check)
Maine (check)
California (check)
Washington (check)
Idaho (whfo* or scotus forces it)
Utah (whfo or scotus)

Of course, I'd love it if Idaho or Utah did the right thing before they were forced to. I know there are lawsuits pending in Utah. Wouldn't that be lovely if they won?

*when He!! freezes over

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.