Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ava ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 11:47AM

In life, I've found that "follow the money" often applies. I wish it didn't. I wish that money didn't invade many aspects of life and decisions, but it does.

How many people stay in the church bc they will be cut out of wills or jobs if they leave? How many stay in marriages bc of the financial cost of divorce? How many students have less money for college bc their parents were full tithe payers?

As I gained financial independence from my parents, our relationship became cleaner. I could say no, that I wouldn't attend church, and they couldn't hold the finances over my head. Did it set me back? yes. Would my life have been easier if my parents had supported me as a young adult? definitely.

It's complicated. And it's not always possible. But for me, financial independence made a huge difference in being able to walk away from mo-ism.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:22PM

Financial independence has always been very important to me. I was taught very early in life to pay my own way and why that's important (personal freedom).

I think the sort of financial dependence of women upon men (domestic woman/provider male) that the Morg encourages and deifies is so, so, so wrong. It can trap people, both men and women, in roles and situations that are utterly soul-destroying and even dangerous.

I know that model (SAHM/providerDad) does work for some people and that's cool. My point is that that model increases the risk of negative outcomes because it fosters dependency and to have that model held up as 'the ideal' is foolish.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 01:52PM

This is exactly why LDS Inc wants women to be SAHM baby pumping machines.

It is also why they are so incredibly anti union. The unionization of Utah in the late 19th and early 20th century would have certainly broken LDS Inc.

Financial independence allows people to have more time, and more time to think. LDS Inc wants their people working at all times, working in the private sector to send money in, and all the rest of the time filled with LDS busywork. LDS Inc cannot afford to have people think. They do not want others to think for their membership, and that is why interaction with non members is discouraged, unless it is for recruiting purposes.

It is another sinister manifestation of the abuse of heavy duty psychological techniques that are used by LDS Inc to control and enslave their membership.

It is very easy to connect the dots to see how hard the internet must be hitting LDS Inc, particularly when we see evidence that they are trying to control it for the members, legal action attempting to control it, and tweaking for search results.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2013 01:56PM by deco.

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 02:30PM

I like this topic. Finances kept me in the church much longer than I wanted to, because I worked full time for them. I had to figure out a way to leave without bankrupting me and my family.

I understand that in in the majority of situations, it's family members using financing as leverage to keep members in check. Some are/were also dependent on the church for our paychecks and benefits too.

I agree. Finances is a huge hammer held over the heads of otherwise non-believers in the church.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 02:41PM

Totally agree. My husband's immediate family are the only ones in the family that are LDS. Their kids (my husband's siblings) are all the worst off of all the kids (cousins) in the family. They have the lowest degrees, have filed bankruptcies, are struggling, etc. It's very clear that it's because the other parents have been able to give their kids more money toward college,vehicles, etc. Then again, they aren't paying tithing and my parents in law are.
The other issue with this is that the one thing my in laws will help out with is a down payment on a house - a loan mind you, not a gift. However, my husband has been very hesitant about officially sending in our letter of resignation because we are looking at buying a house and he doesn't know how his parents will react.

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 02:42PM

Personally I've been estranged from my family since I was 16. We were a extremely dysfunctional family. That has made it a lot easier for me to throw off the church. My wife was 9 active siblings and parents, I know that causes her some pain in leaving.

Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 02:52PM

I have two friends who will inherit a large sum of money via their parents will.

They have a clause in the will that states the inheritance is conditional upon them possessing a temple recommend.

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 02:53PM

That sucks, maybe they could bribe the bishop and stake president.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 03:40PM

Rowell back Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have two friends who will inherit a large sum of
> money via their parents will.
>
> They have a clause in the will that states the
> inheritance is conditional upon them possessing a
> temple recommend.

A will that may have been drafted by a LDS attorney, perhaps with the stipulation that monies lost by apostate children go to LDS Inc?

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 04:19PM

I am probably getting pulled out of my parent's will over this. Then again, they are up to their ears in debt, upside down on their house, and paying through the nose for their cars and credit cards, so I am probably missing out on having to clean up the mess they leave when they die.

Finances are a huge deal to so many that leave, it is sad that the church is held over their head as a requirement for support...

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 03:19PM

This is a great topic. It isn't possible to be truly financially independent, but the closer we can be to financial independence the more freedom we have.

I think that the helplessness that young married women with small children feel about their financial independence is one of the contributing factors to their high rate of depression.

Money is power and not everyone with that power uses it kindly.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.