Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: erictheex ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 01:04PM

SO my TBM, who I found out does not pay tithe, drinks coffee and wine occasionally and goes out on sunday to the mall, is very upset that I don't believe in the MORG because its "good for the kids" and it's good for "my image" (she lives and dies by what other people might think of her and her kids).

She tells me that she KNEW about JS and BY's polygamy 38 years ago, when they joined!!! She read all the anti books about it and joined to make my dad quit drinking and smoking (becuase that looked low class). I asked her how in the world she can join a church like that, only to get my dad not to smoke and then be mad because I found out about all the lies?

She responds with its not a big deal, stay or your kids will get girls pregnant and start smoking....UGH!!!!

30+ years, 100+K later and this is was all because my mom is a snob? Thanks Ma!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 01:24PM

Lack of integrity is a Mormon MO.

They don't care if it's true.

Date: August 28, 2013 01:30PM

My ENTIRE family knows its not true. However my mom and sister remain because it does not matter that its a lie.

This morning I watched the Holland-dodo- BBC interview. It struck me that Holland was upset that the reporter was not playing along with his definition of truth, regarding the temple oaths.

Its like he was implying (and therefore lying) that if a fact is not good for the church, then its not "true" (as in righteous and good). When the reporter does not allow him to hide behind lame explanations, then Holland gets upset and belligerent.

That is such a display of mormon behavior. If you don't agree with my lie, then you are bad and attacking me.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 01:38PM

Dodo has forgotten (if he ever knew) what truth means.

Posted by: johngaltspeaking ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 01:27PM

Atheist checking in who's life got better after they left the Morg. Checkmate to your moms feelings.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 01:32PM

Mormonism might help someone's social image if they live in Utah, but ***it is NOT good for children*** and does NOT make kids nicer, brighter, better, or more moral.

Date: August 28, 2013 01:36PM

What my mom REALLY means about the kids: It makes them look put together, in scouts, well groomed, jesus loving, song singing, non-swearing...she thinks that church automatically give kids that and that is so worth it.

Posted by: Not Now ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 01:32PM

Makes me wonder about my mom. She was ALL about appearances. It was exhausting trying to please her or ever be "good" enough. Now, I realize that I wasted my whole life doing it and trying to follow this damn cult! Thanks mom!

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 01:35PM

Yeah, because all 7 billion non mos are hooked on drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, have 7 babies with 8 different people (go figure that one out), and are severely depressed. All of them. No exceptions.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 01:49PM

One of my mother's core statements was "What will people think"

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 01:51PM

What I hate most, well certainly one of my top hates about mormonism, is this "What will everyone else think???" "Always set a good example, both Jesus and the neighbors are watching!"

Because behind closed doors at home, that's where the nastiness gets out. And it's pointed inwards, at the family, because it's not safe to let out how you feel when people in the world are rude. You turn the other cheek, you bottle it up.
And then you get home where it's "safe" and you let it all out, but the people you are supposed to love the most bear the brunt of offenses they never committed.

My husband and I have an agreement. Anger and crap attitudes get pointed outwards, not inwards. We save the good behavior for each other, and let others have it when they cross us. It may not make us any friends, but it makes us not doormats for others' bad behavior either.
Those people who can stand us really like us because we take no guff. It's very respectable. But it takes a non-phoney to appreciate it. We piss off a lot of "appearances are everything!!!" types of people.

And we certainly don't lash out at each other at home where it's safe.

Date: August 28, 2013 01:59PM

To this day, I feel awkward mowing my lawn on Sunday.

Its not that I care that it's sunday, its that I know how incredible uncomfortable I may make my neighbors, specially if we make eye contact, and the next time we run into each other they wont even be able to speak to me. Like I am hurting their kids with my bad example.
Its ridiculous.

I think mormon do/don't do most things "to be seen of men".

I still mow on sunday, don't get me wrong...:)

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 02:22PM

One of the many reasons my daughter and her husband took their kids out of TSCC was that they realized that most of the well behaved children they knew were not LDS.

I know a lot of people who thrive on the status. I have a friend who is RS President and a supervisor of some kind at the temple. Her son, whom she loves dearly, is gay. I don't know how she keeps trying to promote a church that will do it's level best to make sure that her son never has his full civil rights.

Date: August 28, 2013 02:29PM

Primary is a lazy parenting tool. They kids are horrible in there, it is a mini concentration camp. They learn bad habits and worse they get brainwashed to be followers.

Posted by: queenb ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 04:49PM

We have some family that is hardcore into mormonism because of the STATUS of being mormon. Its WAYYY more important to them that you look mormon. who cares what you actually believe??

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 05:22PM

For some reason it always cracks me up when people refer to their loved one as "my TBM".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2013 05:22PM by snuckafoodberry.

Posted by: luge ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 07:07PM

Hmmm..this reminds me of DH. He has a coworker, whom happens to really like tea. Invited DH and anyone to his drawer anytime. DH really wants some...but won't because he is worried about "who will find out"..I told him "who cares?". He said he doesn't want to deal with rumors or lies being told. What gives? By the way DH left with me, he's just still worried a little about image. I guess it's human.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.