Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 04:38PM

I saw a young man (looked to be 18-21) at a Utah DI today. He was accepting donations at the drop off. He had an Elder ______________ nametag on. I nearly asked him if THAT'S what they are doing with the influx of new missionaries these days. But I didn't say anything because I wondered if it would be a sore spot for him.

How would that be, telling your future wife that you stayed in Utah and worked at thriftstore for your mission? I wondered if he has to pay $400 a month and live in missionary housing. But I didn't see his companion anywhere in sight, so maybe it's a special mission.

One thing for sure; He won't get very many new converts at the DI. He didn't even ask me the Golden Question.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 04:39PM

I'm feeling better and better about my mission. I wonder what they said to talk him into that job. I don't think I would have made it through the day.

Posted by: jonathantech ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 04:40PM

I think that's the mission for those with disabilities or health issues that can't serve a prosletizing mission

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 04:42PM

The church has sent a lot of guys on special missions to the DI over the years. Basically, they are supplied free labor, while the parents probably pay the way. Typically there is something about them, mentally or health wise, which makes the church decide not to send them on a regular mission.

Posted by: almost ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 04:45PM

It's for people who can't serve a regular mission but still want to serve. Physical, mental, or spiritual reasons.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 05:51PM

I've done that job many times as a volunteer. I think it is a better use of time than going door to door bothering people.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 05:56PM

Don't knock it. He baptized two CRT televisions and a VHS tape player just today. His iPad was so proud.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.