Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 04:53PM

At first did you hide wine, beer, coffee, and "anti" books from prying eyes.

After leaving those things in plain view, how did you feel? What happened when TBMs noticed. What did you say?

If you just left the church, do you have trouble with what TBMs might think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brett ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 05:03PM

When I first left the church and for several years afterward, I was very self consious about having alcohol in view of my TBM relatives. It was equal parts feeling like I needed to respect their views, and also feeling like they would be very disappointed in me.

It took years to get the point where I felt like I could have alcohol on display in my home, and even longer to actually drink in front of them. It was basically just maturing and realizing that I needed to be honest about who I was that got me to that point. But I have to say it was a very difficult process.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 05:03PM

For me, it was because I was still coming to terms with leaving. I didn't want to give any ammunition to the gossip ring at church. I didn't want to out myself before I was ready. Mormons have no respect for others privacy and will gossip about anyone and everyone. No Mormon is safe from it.

Once I became more secure in my knowledge and decision I no longer cared. I'm pretty sure we were gossiped about. That doesn't bother me any more. I figure they need to get a life if that's what they're doing.

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 05:04PM

As soon as I read the subject line, I was reminded of my poor sister in college.
She was and is still hard-core evangelical Mormon. But in college, she had a coffee maker that she used to cook ramen noodles and mashed potatoes and Mac n cheese in. (They had a no hot plate policy, but coffee makers were okay)

Whenever anyone from the church showed up, she's yank it out of the wall and throw it in the bottom of her closet like it was a brick of cocaine!

Posted by: hungryheart ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 05:10PM

Coffee IS cocaine! lol lol lol
Although have been out of church for a while, was living with cousins this summer, who are still TBM, and no no, was never allowed to have demon coffee in the house. Not even in a styro cup from 7 11. Gads I spent SO much money buying coffee ! Had to short myself on groceries to afford my morning fix at 7 11 , starbucks once a week! FINALLY got an apartment and my gosh I have never been so in love with coffee as withh that first gourmet cup out of my ( gasp) coffee maker
lol

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.