Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 10:56AM

as they warned on the various TV channels... so if we don't post, that's why. They warn power out's may last for up to a week. I really miss my Franklin, but the Insurance balked. Well, I got a as stove, so if push comes to shove, I can turn it on intermittendly. It'll start tonight, so I'll get my med refills, batteries, candles, my radio and some non-perishables. (Instant coffee is a MUST :)
I guess we won't watch the ground-hog on TV if it ges that bad. I'm so tired of the weather. Last month we had 52 Tornados. Was gonna take my wagon to MO, but they got it worse, LOL! Sorry, wildcats!
Already got calls on possible baby-sitting. That's what you get for working from home. Peeps don't think we actually don't work :(
Well, apparantly, I just recited my iterniary. Stay safe, y'all!!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41348118/ns/weather/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 10:58AM

Good luck with the weather!

I've worked at home for over 20 years--and I hear you! If you work at home, you don't REALLY WORK.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 11:30AM

If you commute somewhere every day and play office with your friends but don't make a dime, that constitutes "working."

I think I'm going to call my parents in Indianapolis. This sounds really bad.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 11:40AM

Right now its sunny skies. Its suppose to arrive here tonight and they are saying that just north of the city will get 12 to 22 inches plus of snow. Indy and south will get the freezing rain. I don't know if it will be as apocalyptic as the media are trying to make it out to be and if the storm changes its track just a little it will change whatever the final storm totals will be.

Still... this is Indiana. And the weather here is never predictable.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 12:28PM

They have a pile of wood ready for the fireplace and a generator. Mom is baking bread. Dad has the tractor and snowblower attachment all set. They sound in good health too. I think they live for this kind of thing.

Best wishes, kk4kkb. I hope it's not as bad as it sounds.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 11:59AM

We are far enough south in IL that we should only get .25" of ice and a few inches of snow. Still, I checked the gas can for our generator to verify it was full.

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 12:36PM

It's me again. Apologies for the typos! One of these days I will re-read my posts before I hit the post/send/share button. Am heading for the store now, but just want to add a tip for those affected.
De-icers (the spray kind) work best on doors/locks/trunks and garage doors if applied the night before (weher metal hits metal), but cooking spray, vaseline etc. will work just as well. Even if you stay at home, you may need to open your car-door to recharge. Don't forget your salt and/or sand. I Used cat litter before, which works just fine. I also used a tote for perishable foods which will hold in cold temps outside. And don't forget to take a little emergency pack with you while before you hit the road. Have emergency/shelter etc. numbers ready.
Run your water (small stream) to keep your pipes from freezing. Have a bucket/bottles water stashed.
I don't want to sound like alarmist or your mother, but better safe than sorry. I went a week trough outages unprepared. It's no fun! This has nothing to do with mormon-food storage, just reasonable prepardness.
Well, signing off. Stay safe!
Love, "Mom" :-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.