Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NotSoSure ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 12:41AM

On the way home from church one day I was asking the kids what they had learned in class. My teenage son said that the teacher in his priesthood class said that they should all serve missions because the RMs get the best looking girls to marry. My son's comment to the class was, "Well, what happened to my dad?"

Granted, I am not the cute thing I was when I married, and this son is known for saying what he thinks without any editing...

But, the thing that bothered my most was the concept that was taught. I was thinking, what about all of the fabulous young women in our ward who are not the most beautiful thing put on earth? Do you mean they don't get a chance with the RMs? Oooo, I was really pissed about that one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: msp ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 02:14AM

I was taught similar things as a youth a few years back, except in my case it was about the effort you put into your mission. The more you devoted yourself, the more good-looking your future wife would be..I was also taught that you'd also get MORE wives by working harder. I suppose that may have been taught half-jokingly, since everyone else laughed, but I was utterly disgusted, even at that age, even with a TBM mindset.

Posted by: queenb ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 02:20AM

go look at this thread: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1006018

It really is a huge mormon male (i see it most in RM's) way of thinking.. I guess they have been taught it, but still. Its so offensive and degrading to ALL women.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 02:28AM

OMG! I didn't know that crap was going on.

My ex got stinking lucky imo. He was from a TBM family that had some status in their little Idaho cow town. Other than that, he certainly didn't deserve to have a wife that was cute, dedicated, intelligent, talented, and all of the other wonderful labels I would attach to myself. lol

Seriously though, he was a piece of shit, and I wasn't. He only had the privilege of having me in his life for 24 months before I unloaded him. NO kids! YAY.

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 01:45PM

I love hearing stories about where I grew up....not trying to pry, but I probably know his family because Idahoans are connected at the hip.

I grew up in SE Idaho. In a cowtown:)

Good for you BTW Mia...I guess that was your 24 month mission - enduring that clown.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 07:57AM

I thought using sex as motivation was the devils tool.

Posted by: DishyDoodle ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 01:47PM

It is way of the founding fathers of TSCC!

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 08:19AM

Once again, we see how Mormons are taught to value women solely on the basis of their ability to sexually please men.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 08:21AM

So the Mormon God rewards a man's dedication to mormonism with the bodies of women?

So men are taught that they should only consider physical attributes - not that she is smart, kind, capable or bat-s##t crazy? How shallow. How Mormon.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 09:53AM

I know that my Jackmo non-brother was taught this.

Posted by: FredOi ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 10:01AM

We weren't taught it but used to say the harder it rained the prettier she will be.
Come on, get a grip.
Hormonal teenage boys.
And you are expecting they will say....?

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 01:04PM

Get a grip? Are you kidding me? This isnt about hormonal teenage boys. It about them being taught this offensive attitude by leaders! And it happened in my mission too, from the mtc teachers, and even smiled upon by the mission president. Yeah thats really christ like.

Posted by: queenb ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 01:11PM

I'm expecting them to tell these boys that you need to treat women with respect.. not that they are just prizes or trophies to be earned and used for sexual pleasure. GOD! What is wrong with people?

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 12:25PM

Have they started teaching girls that female RMs get the hottest guys? I didn't think so.

Male RMs do get hot boyfriends, though. Gay guys love the Mormon look.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 12:49PM

So basically the Mormon church is pimping out it's women to get work out of it's men. You want the deluxe model guys, you'd better pay the higher price. Nothing about respect, connection, love, finding a partner - just "get 'em while they are hot."

Sick.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 12:53PM

Yup. I think our MP may have even said this at one point.

The inverse saying you'd hear sometimes was that you'd be a hot commodity if you came back as an RM.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 01:02PM

I heard it all the time in my mission. It depended on how many days in the rain and how hard you worked.

Before we left TSCC, I distinctly remember at least 2 guys getting up in SM to brag about how hard they worked on their respective missions and to look at their wives as evidence.

Both guys were what I would consider to be alpha-male douches, and both women were what I would consider vapid, superficial arm candy.

Posted by: agentpi ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 01:40PM

I heard it as earning "hot wife points" for every horrible thing that happened to you on your mission.

Granted, I heard this from RMs, not teachers and I was in college by the time I heard it. But it doesn't surprise me that people are teaching it to kids because it's kind of a part of church culture.

Which, of course, doesn't make it right.

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 01:51PM

Nope it doesn't make it right. In fact I think it makes it even more wrong. For that to be smiled upon and accepted into the culture, especially a supposed "christ centered" culture is messed up. It encourages young men to marry a girl that they think is presentable to their culture, instead of marrying someone they are truely in love with and want to build a life with. Women are not prizes, they are people!.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2013 01:53PM by closer2fine.

Posted by: brotherlove ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 02:31PM

I was told that if I didn't serve a mission that I'd end up with a second rate wife. Only first rate women marry RM's...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.