Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 06:39AM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfaithblog/56795670-180/women-says-church-kelly.html.csp

So, if a woman comes to the door of the conference center and tries to get in, will the ushers send her away? Even if she somehow procures an invitation? And what about in the stake centers where it is broadcast? Will the stakes post thugs by the doors?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2013 06:40AM by cludgie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 08:21AM

WHY? Most men dont attend it anyway and those that do dont pay attention to anything that is said.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 12:41PM

I get that women think that the Priesthood session is a privilege, but really it is a punishment. The GAs use the opportunity to berate the men for not manning up enough. The tone of GC is much softer than what the GAs reserve for the guys.

Read the online talks and you'll see how unpleasant it is.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 01:53PM

LOL that shit would get interesting fast if the women get in.

Fuck that sexist shit. Oh it's really nothing, why do women even want to participate...
Leave it up to the women to decide what they want to participate in or not! Sexist. Bullsh1t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2013 02:04PM by WinksWinks.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 08:39AM

Maybe it's just that one GAs wife who wants to go, because she's sick of his lecturing to her & being forced to make him apple cider donuts after the meeting.

Who the hell was it?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 10:16AM

Russell Nelson:

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1999/04/our-sacred-duty-to-honor-women?lang=eng

I remember gagging over this talk because he was spouting that stupid stupid (did I say STUPID) line that "because I can't perform the most noble calling, being a mother, I guess I just have to settle for having the priesthood and authority and be the boss and make all the decisions and be in charge and do all those other things because I'm just not blessed with a uterus."

Blech.

But it wasn't quite as disgusting as Wrinkly Hinckley's talk where he proclaimed that women can do everything men can do... drive cars, "run" computers, blah blah blah. Yes, in the 21st century he was proclaming how equal women are because they can drive cars.

http://www.lds.org/ensign/2003/11/to-the-women-of-the-church

Date: August 29, 2013 10:25AM

Thank you. :)

I remember trying to read that quite awhile ago, & just being disgusted by his misogynistic arrogance.

Hey Russell, want to know how to truly honor women? Treat them like the regular people they already are!

Hinkley's talk was just ridiculously stupid, especially because of the fact that women have been driving mass produced cars since he was a baby.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2013 10:27AM by Tristan.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 10:15AM

One of them can have my seat. I won't be using it.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 11:42AM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )

Posted by: Smiling Dog ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 10:38AM

I say have at it, women. I hope they bring attention to the whole sexist mob of GA's running that place. If a majority of women stayed home from church one Sunday and told the leadership that they wouldn't come back until cats held the priesthood, there would be white-shirted, trained felines passing the sacrament the following Sunday...

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 11:11AM

LOL! The church only has the authority members give it. Let's see just how important the men are if the women and children stayed home one Sunday.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 12:47PM

Once the spell was broken, I realized how silly all their "authority" was. They can't do a darned thing to you that you don't let them.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )

And really, why shouldn't they be able to attend? I say, good for them because it brings more attention to the church's sexism.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 11:43AM

This will have no good outcome for TSCC. And I am glad.

Date: August 29, 2013 11:49AM

+1m

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2013 11:50AM by Tristan.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 12:26PM

and then I realized (I was rather old when I did--like 20s) that I could read what went on in the priesthood session by reading it in the Ensign. Huh!?!? That makes NO SENSE whatsoever.

Me--even as a TBM, I was THANKFUL I didn't have to go to the priesthood session and that I also didn't have to do things like blessing the sacrament, giving blessings. I always thought holding the priesthood would be a pain in the a$$--so it was never any big deal to me. I think men have it just as bad as women in the lds church--just different (maybe worse).

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 02:11PM

I definitely don't disagree with that sentiment. However, it's about equal opportunity....

Date: August 29, 2013 02:17PM

Indeed. I got that line from my mother all the time, "Oh the priesthood sounds like such a chore, I'm glad I don't have to do it. Haha I got out of some drudgery!"
Well making babies sounds like such a chore, I'm glad I don't have to do it. Haha I got out of some drudgery!
Now, why again can't I decide for myself what things I want to participate in? Oh someone else told me I'm not missing out, it's boring, it's shaming? If I was there i guarandamntee it wouldn't be boring! But I don't even get to choose that option for myself. Nice. Sexist. Bullsh1t.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 02:42PM

all along. It isn't just about men and women, but LEADERS. I hated the authoritarianism in the lds church. I never felt comfortable with it. But I certainly didn't want the priesthood, nor did I want to be a GA or some higher up. I'm just grateful to be out. I see walking away as more of a statement than making sure I can go to priesthood session.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 12:39PM

I was at the Hill Cumorah Pageant once, around 1960, and there was a priesthood meeting Sunday morning out in the field where the pageant benches were set up. Marion D Hanks was speaking, and some of the women were seated along the fringes, because old Duff was a pretty popular speaker, and GAs were few and far between out there in the then very sparse east coast mission field.

Anyway, Duff commented on the women eavesdropping on priesthood meeting as he started to speak, and said "We will permit you to stay, and by so doing, admonish you" - chuckle chuckle.

It is nothing more than a "no girls allowed in the tree house" rule. It was embarrassing even back then, and is hideously out of step with the world now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2013 12:40PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 12:57PM

Reading that article....

"But a male-only priesthood "was established by Jesus Christ himself and is not a decision to be made by those on Earth.""

I would say...PROVE IT!!! That Jesus...HIMSELF said that ONLY MEN should lead a church.

Jesus Christ...the SAME Jesus Christ who asscoiated with the lower classes of society and even a once-known prostitute, Mary Magdlene (if you believe in Judeo-Christian lore) was one of Jesus's main confidantes.....THIS...SAME Jesus only wants "worthy" men to lead a church?????

I highly doubt it.......

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 01:08PM

I remember a ward where the women who wanted to hear priesthood session just sat in the hall. Noone cared.

Posted by: Pathway ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 01:19PM

I too have seen women go to Priesthood session of conference at a local stake center before. No one said a word. It's extremely rare. I've seen it maybe twice in my almost 40 years of going to Conference Priesthood sessions, but no one said a word or treated them any differently. Although, most everyone does notice it and it does feel a little strange, like someone is crashing the good old boys club.

Posted by: erictheex ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 02:06PM

I can help you And spare you having to drive down there.

They always give the same talks:

Height or Ballard on deacons don't touch there even if it feels good, if You already have then go talk to your bishop and tell him all the details.

The best thing that you can do for your family to spend all your time doing home teaching and your calling.

Young men should go on missions or they will go to hell and the world will go to hell, and you will marry an ugly wife.

A widow got a chicken, The chicken was cooked, stomachs were filled, friendships were made.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2013 08:16PM by erictheex.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 02:28PM

This is fabulous. It works as the central message of ALL Mormon meetings. You’re bad. Do more. The church can fix you and the world. Have a warm fuzzy. Good night.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 02:14PM

Are men going to protest to attend RS meetings ? Fair is fair, right?

I'm not sure I see the point of attending so many meetings. Don't the women complain there are too many anyhow.

Isn't everything recorded and published in the Ensign?

Date: August 29, 2013 02:19PM

Go ahead and keep supporting the good old boys club. MORmONS.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.