Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Bobihor ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 04:42PM

On my mission we'd come back at night to the mission office (I was mission secretary at the time), turn on the lights, and watch as dozens of cockroaches would scatter across the counter tops and walls in search of something to hide behind, or underneath.

I got thinking about this early this morning for some reason and the beginnings of an analogy popped into my head. I may or may not be obsessed with church-related analogies. :)

The cockroaches represent world religions, and the period of darkness where they are free to roam and do...cockroachy things...represents the pre-Internet era. The flipping of the light switch is the invention of Google (among other online resources) and the objects behind which the roaches hurriedly scurry and hide are apologetic organizations. A FAIR picture on the wall, or a FARMS blender, perhaps, on the counter.

I remember learning in church that light is knowledge. It never really made sense...until now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 04:51PM

+1

Let us really, really hope so.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 04:57PM

I love it.. and the stomping foot could represent science...

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 12:02PM

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 12:06PM

Absolutely.

In Japan, we always took our shoes off before entering the main part of the apartment or house. When we would return at night, we would take our shoes off before turning on the lights. then we would turn on the lights and have a competition to see who could mash the most roaches by swatting them with our shoes.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 12:23PM

Gokiburi! Aah the memories.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.