Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 12:30PM

So we have a friend who she and her mother are in our Ward. Her mother started dating this guy from another ward in the Stake about a week ago. The guy is in his 50s as is the mother.

Already he is talking about them getting married and how he wants to come over and cuddle with her at night (without sex mind you) and just calling her all hours of the day and night.

Yesterday he came to our ward and was sitting their all by himself looking for our friends mother to show up, which she didn't because this guy is really starting to creep her out.

Just because you are LDS and she is LDS and you are both single and 50 and went out once or twice does not make a basis to start stalking the poor woman. Back off!

I have heard lots of stories about creepy single LDS guys over 30, and this guys fitting the bill completely.

Anyone else have any fun stories?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 12:35PM

In my folks ward a beloved, yet wacky, sister passed away last year in February. In June the wacky widower had a dream that he was to marry the mother of the bishop. Fortunately, she was single (for approx 25 years, divorced from a nomo). My parents and other mega TBM's also felt the spirit "witness" that this marriage was ordained of gawd. The happy couple went out a couple of times, got engaged, then married in the Columbus OH temple in late July. The Bishop was very excited because he got to be sealed to his new step-dad.

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 02:07PM

This sounds sad to me. Without knowing more specifics on his nomo dad, I still would think he would want his real dad.

Posted by: tngal123 ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 03:30PM

when I was in YW's. Weekly he would come into the YW's right before class started and oogle the girls and lick his lips and tell us "God has come to me and told me that one of you will be my next wife". HE would smile and rub his hands together and then the YW's Leader would always laugh nervously and shove him out the door. This went on for many months and years. Always said the same thing. NO ONE talked to him (Adults) or made any kind of reference to how creepy he was, though all the youth would joke and the girls would squeal in disgust when we saw him outside in the halls or in the parking lot and then laugh a lot because he was so old and creepy and really what else could you do after encountering such a delusional person.

Thank goodness he was never a bishop or YM's leader. My mom said he moved into the ward after his wife passed and that he was a harmless old man. I was terrified of him, I don't know exactly what made him harmless, but he did have a cane and a wicked limp.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 12:41PM

has recently entered the hell-hole that is the LDS Singles dating scene. He has found that most of the women have huge issues, many have been psychologically abused, some even physically. He just wants to meet some people, date and have some friendship. He can't find anyone willing to do that.

Posted by: non for this ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 06:24PM

Well, I am newly single, and while I think I am funny, smart, etc...I have issues too and have been abused.

I think many my age have most likely been through hell, and if they haven't been married by now there may be other issues. It's a crap shoot, and I imagine whoever I would meet will have some type of baggage.

I am glad I'm not LDS though, that's a whole nother bunch of crap.....

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 12:50PM

Back in the day, my Ward had a kooky older widowed dude, probably 67-70 years old, who would try to date the single 20-30 year olds in the stake. He would start up a convo by calling them princess, instead of sister, ie "good morning princess debbie." Then whether they asked or not, he would explain "I call you princess debbie, because we are all children of god, and therefore princes and princesses..." Then sometime in the convo he would ask them to a lunch date. I don't think it ever worked, but he tried it so many times, it was a running joke in the ward to call each other prince and princess on sunday.

Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 12:50PM

A man from my mother's ward approached her at my dad's funeral to ask her if she had any interest in seeing him. My mother was 76 at the time.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 01:27PM

she met at a singles' dance. They were talking marriage after only two weeks and officially engaged after 3 and eloped 2 months later. Oh, and did I mention that they are both in their 40s - she has 3 kids and he has 2 - and they eloped as soon as her oldest son left for Scout camp. So far, they seem very happy and it's been a wonderful opportunity to teach my kids what NOT to do. But I really worry because of some other things I've found out about him via snooping and internet searches.

Mormons are crazy the way the rush into things. Sometimes people hit it off quickly and live happily ever after but it's the exception - not the rule.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 01:52PM

I had enough "losers" chasing me in the singles' ward.

The tendency I had was to believe that God would bring someone into my life and we'd immediately know--but when the reality would happen--no matter who it was--my intuition would kick in. That whole God would tell us messes with a lot of people.

And I was single for a long time (in mormon years)--and worked with several divorced women so I'd go to older singles dances with them and guess who got asked to dance? I was someone who felt they could never say no. I just loved being asked by 60 year olds when I was 21, 22 or so. They'd always start off with "I haven't seen you here before. I'd like to get to know you better." Talk about YUK!

My aunt--whose husband died 3 years ago--she had a call for a date BEFORE the funeral.

Date: January 31, 2011 02:17PM

Of a weird girl in a singles ward.

My friend had been engaged to this girl and they broke up. So the next week in singles ward she starts giving me the googly eyes and smiling at me and stuff. I thought she was kind of cute so I asked my friend if he would be totally offended if I asked her out.

Go on right a head. I'm warning you though, she's nuts.

I had a trip planned for a 3 day vacation and went driving over to Denver for the first time from SLC in my life. Just me, myself and I to check it out.

I come home and there is a message for me to call him immediately. He says DON'T call this girl.

Apparently their was a young single adult dance. She met someone there, they hit it off, drove all the way to Las Vegas and got married that same weekend. (one week after she started giving me googly eyes)

Ah, what might have been. I wonder if that worked out for her or not?

Date: January 31, 2011 02:17PM

Of a weird girl in a singles ward.

My friend had been engaged to this girl and they broke up. So the next week in singles ward she starts giving me the googly eyes and smiling at me and stuff. I thought she was kind of cute so I asked my friend if he would be totally offended if I asked her out.

Go on right a head. I'm warning you though, she's nuts.

I had a trip planned for a 3 day vacation and went driving over to Denver for the first time from SLC in my life. Just me, myself and I to check it out.

I come home and there is a message for me to call him immediately. He says DON'T call this girl.

Apparently their was a young single adult dance. She met someone there, they hit it off, drove all the way to Las Vegas and got married that same weekend. (one week after she started giving me googly eyes)

Ah, what might have been. I wonder if that worked out for her or not?

Posted by: morgbotnot ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 02:30PM

Ah, yes... I was a single Mormon woman, and it's a pretty bleak world. In fact, I wrote a very long poem about my dating experiences between Mormon marriages (entitled Dating in my 40's in the 90's: The Agony and the Misery). Some pretty funny stuff!!

I'm single again now, but not being Mormon anymore, it's an entirely different experience. Isn't it wonderful to be free of indoctrination!!

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 02:51PM

The older creeps who want young women because they think they're too good for a woman their age. Then there are the older creeps looking for a woman their age because they think she can financially support them. Look out if this woman has a house or appears to be able to financially support this creep. There are more men out there looking for women to mooch off of than you'd expect. (Women do it too. But we're talking here about this older men stalker types...)

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 02:53PM

Then there are older duded like me that make a good living, have senses of humor, are decent men and just like being around women. I grow weary of us over 50 guys getting a bad rap just for being older and wanting female companionship. We're grossly over-generalized.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 03:26PM

I don't think you're a creep Ron so it wasn't about men like you. The post was about creepy guys. Just like some comments are about emotionally unstable women. Not a generalization about men or women.

Posted by: 665 N' 1/2 ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 02:59PM

I agree with you Exmo Ron.

Some girls on here are just that.

There is a big difference between them and women.

Women seem to drop all the prejudices that bind us all.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 02:56PM

:-)

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 03:19PM

There is a very unwise dynamic that happens when Men are taught that they can't ejaculate until the find a woman to marry them.

Depending on how bad someone wants an orgasm, and how rigidly they follow the "morally clean" B.S., decides to some extent how crazy they are about getting a warm body to make sex legal.

Of course there are plenty of other dynamics, social skills, etc. that come into play. But the no orgasm without being married makes some crazy behavior.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 03:32PM

An old man proposed to my sister-in-law a few weeks after his wife died. Not even a date, just a proposal. When she turned him down, he tried to get my wife to send a proposal to her mom.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 03:33PM

One of my neighbors, a widow, is being stalked by a mormon widower. The guy is so clueless that telling him "no" dozens of times has no impact whatsoever.

He even bought a recreational vehicle, brought it to her house, knocked on her door and said, "Look what I bought for us. We can make that trip to Boise now to visit my sister."

My neighbor is to nice to say WTF!?

After trying for several weeks to get my neighbor into the recreation vehicle, the guy finally gave up on that ploy. But he still calls her several times a day, insists that she visit all his relatives, and on and on.

As far as I can tell, the elderly mormon dude thinks that any woman whom he blesses with his attention should quiver all over with bliss. He is incapable of taking a hint. He had his sister call my neighbor to tell her how much he loves her, and also, how much the sister loves her too and wants her to be part of the family.

I think this is called "living a christ-centered life," which means, in this case, that all other aspects of real life are rendered incomprehensible.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 03:42PM

I think there is an equal number on both sides of the fence--stalkers.

I have a mormon stalker right now--he is the custodian at the office building where I can work (I quit working there because of him). He is mormon and he told me he is willing to leave his wife for me. He TOLD ME he was going to go walking with me. He corners me whenver he sees me. I told him my ex had moved back and I make sure he SEES me with my ex all the time.

My ex's father was stalking young Rick's college students until his death in his 80s--looking for his future plural wives. He owned some apartments and would bother the girls who lived there. He was picked up for stalking girls in his 80s. SOME mormon men have the same idea as Warren Jeffs.

I'm also NOT saying that many mormon women aren't just as screwed up--but I can't speak from experience as it is the men who have bothered me.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 04:30PM

This topic touches a very raw nerve for me! My sister, a women of retirement age, has been forced back to work because of the fraud perpetrated on her by a "priesthood holder". An old dude, high priest, who was so ordained a couple of years after having returned to the mo. He had lived his adult life as an alcohol, but gave it up when his health failed.
Within a couple of weeks of their chance meeting in the ward parking lot, he bore witness that the lord wanted them to be sealed! Things advanced and eventually she accepted his proposal. His house was run down and he was in finanacial trouble. Sis decided a reverse mortgage was the solution. After an inspection, they hired my nephew, a construcition worker, and several of his friends to renovate. During the process it was learned that Don Juan was not a free man as he was still married to his second wife. The construction bills were going to be paid from the proceeds of the refinance. Then his mind began to fail...
Long story short, having dooped by this fool's "revelation", even after suing, my sister has now gone back to work to pay off $15,000 worth of construction. His wife and daughter got it all for free.
No, the bishops didn't help. Neither could they explain why he was allowed to proposition and propose to several different women.
The worst part of this is that she still carries a torch and continues to tithe to temple.
Just like good ole Joe in another century.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 04:48PM

My mother had this experience after she was widowed. One guy took her to dinner and when he brought her home started in telling her how his stuff would look in her house and where he could hang his paintings! That was their first and last date! She was in her early 70's at that time.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 04:53PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2011 05:24PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 06:11PM

Story 1: Here is a story a friend told me. At her place of work, his mother had mostly female coworkers in their mid-forties to mid-fifties. The women would look through the obituaries, attend the funeral, and approach the widower pretending to have some sort of past connection with the deceased. The idea was to try and drum up a pretense for a friendship……leading to marriage. Several women did find a husband that way. Creepy!

Story 2: A close friend of my DD was attending UVU. She is a very shy girl. A guy in one of her classes made a point of chatting with her before and after class for the first few weeks of the semester. After a few weeks, he proposed saying that god had revealed to him that she was to be his wife. She was shocked and turned him down. The next week he slipped her a note which was written by HIS WIFE. She wrote that she also had a revelation that this girl was to join their family as a second wife. CREEPY!

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: February 01, 2011 12:40AM

My TBM MIL is on her third temple marriage. You would think after those creepy weirdos she would have some other criteria for men other than being LDS.

The whole marry a righteous PH holder thing isn't working out. Idiot.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.