Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 08:14PM

After having swine flu about 4 years ago I am now onto about episode number 5 of EXTEME exhaustion and body aches that border on pain, and which lasts for a couple of months. My doctor and I have been suspecting post viral syndrome for a while, and now with this episode (and nothing showing up in blood tests) I think we may have a diagnosis.

If any of you have it, have you found any treatments other than total rest effective?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: releve ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 11:50PM

My cousin has it and I'm afraid that Advil and rest are the only things that work. She calls it "being on the heat vent", because when it flares up, laying by the heat vent is the only thing she wants to do. She is a very type A personality and tends to push herself physically and if she has increased stress combined with overwork she can count on a flare. She has learned to tell when a flare is coming and can sometimes head it off with extra fluids, rest, unplugging the phone and avoiding any other stressors. The worst thing you can do is try to soldier through it. If you give in and rest the flare won't last as long.

Date: August 29, 2013 11:58PM

Thanks releve, I am finding that out. I am not an A type personality, but I am very responsible about my work, and it is really hard for me to take time off . But right now I cannot move, or I am in awful 'pain', from the terrible body aches. I also have trolled the internet and the most responsible sites are saying what you say, rest, rest and rest.

Thanks for our information, I appreciate it. My best to your cousin and yourself!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 12:00AM

I don't have this, but have fibro. The heating pad and a hot tub might be your best friends.

Date: August 30, 2013 12:03AM

Yes I understand, I think you are right, I have certainly been using both. Thanks for your advice. I hope you can remain well too. Ihave heard that fibro can be pretty debilitating. Thanks again.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 12:05AM

I had it after shingles. The fatigue and aches lasted a year and a half. Rest and try Yoga to keep up your strength and mobility.

Date: August 30, 2013 01:43AM

Thanks wine country girl. I hadn't thought of yoga. I am sorry it took you so long to get better. It seems to be coming in flare ups for me but they NEVER seem to end when I am in the middle of one. Thanks again!

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 04:26AM

On the upside, i lost a whole lot of weight when i had it. But in the mornings, when i first got out of bed, i could barely stand up; my legs so weak and wobbly.

Date: August 30, 2013 05:16AM

I understand WCG. I am finding walking not too bad (eg I HAD to go grocery shopping yesterday, I live alone and needed to eat!), but once I do it for a little while the pain all over my body is unbearable and I am forced to lie down.

I would like to think I would loose some weight, at least that would be a plus, but I don,t tend to do that when I am ill. The forced inactivity will probably cause me to gain a little. But I find I can,t eat a lot at one time and sort of bland things, like crackers help with the mild nausea.

Did you have to quit work? I am worried as I have been unable to work all week. For the past few weeks I have soldiered on , but now I simply cannot. I am in too much pain and I am way TOO tired to get to work. I can get some of my students to come to me, and I will try that, but it is a worry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.