Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 03:43PM

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/latter-day-saints-make-2-1m-land-purchase-1.1087489#axzz1AeW0OeVb

Forget about the poor and the needy, Jeezus loves his malls, condos, hunting retreats, and his historical sites.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 03:51PM

Who knew an auto salvage junk yard was worth $2.1 million?!?! I'd bet the owners are laughing all the way to the bank. Maybe we need to go buy up old church history sites.

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 03:55PM

The only piece of propaganda that didn't make it into the article was that old chestnut about it being the "fastest-growing cult" ...er, "church in the world."

Here's the part I liked: in 2005 the cult payed $2,500 an acre for adjacent land, in 2011 the cult is paying $210,000 an acre for adjacent land. Who says it's a tough economy, huh? Huh? LOL!

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 04:01PM

That made me smile.

Of course, he was looking for riches.

K

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 04:02PM

Did the church buy the land from a fellow mormon?

Almost sounds like or looks like a payoff.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 11:13AM

OnceMore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did the church buy the land from a fellow mormon?
>
> Almost sounds like or looks like a payoff.

Theres a lot of nepotism in the church and that sort of thing does go on.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 04:43PM

whatever it took to close and remove the junkyard. Apparently the owner figured that out, and got a good price for his junk.

This is a very rural area, and normally the land wouldn't be worth much, but the owners got lucky in that a major corporation founded by America's second most famous polygamist, wanted the land as a tourist attraction.

Cha-ching.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 05:20PM

Joseph and Emma's first child is buried in the area, but that is not why LDS Inc acquired property in Oakland, PA. They wanted it as a stop over for Mormons doing Mormon history tourism.

Martin's Cove, Chimney Rock/Scotts Bluff, Winter Quarters, Nauvoo, Kirtland, Susquehanna (Oakland) PA, Palmyra, Sharon VT.

LDS Inc plans to turn this into an American History tour, and expects to make money and get a lot of good PR from it, pushing "the settling of the American West" angle.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 05:28PM

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 10:13AM

We're so screwed. The Church now has archelogical remains!.... old old cars. Like old cars from the 30s perhaps, and other man made junk. So much that it'll be a treasure trove to REAL archelogists.

Timbers made of strange craftsmanship and ores. And WHEELS.... Finally the Mormon church site can claim Wheels. For future Mormons in the future.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 11:21AM

happycat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We're so screwed. The Church now has archelogical
> remains!.... old old cars. Like old cars from the
> 30s perhaps, and other man made junk. So much that
> it'll be a treasure trove to REAL archelogists.
>
> Timbers made of strange craftsmanship and ores.
> And WHEELS.... Finally the Mormon church site can
> claim Wheels. For future Mormons in the future.

They might want to call int the American Pickers to go through that junk. Some of it may be valuable. Treasure if you will. Isn't that why Joseph ended up down there in the first place? He was seeking treasure.

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 03:04PM

They build lots of these fancy historical places for fictional historical events. People who are inclined to believe anyway come and gaze upon the splendor. Spending so much by itself sends a subtle message: "Of course it's all true, why else would we spend so much to establish this fancy mormon tourist trap?"

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 04:13PM

in my back yard. Maybe the morg will want to buy my place. The scratches look sort of Egyptian.

The scratches were made with my shovel while I was digging it up, but the faithful don't need to know that.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 04:32PM

Let's form a REIT and buy up other worthless historical church properties. Then we can resell them to LD$ Inc. at a handsome profit. Is there anything left in Nebraska that the church doesn't own?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.