Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 07:04PM

I don't feel that Freud is in the same league as Sagan. JIMHO

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NoToJoe ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 08:47PM

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving, control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.
--Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: February 01, 2011 02:30AM

Posted by: longtimegone (NLIBICRTP) ( )
Date: February 01, 2011 06:19AM

NoToJoe wrote:
>>>The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving, control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.
--Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion<<<

The Mormon apostles from Horny Joe right through the widow-lovin' schmoe could be characterized using most, if not all, of Dawkin's description of God.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 01, 2011 10:59AM

He forgot to add "...and you're ugly too!"

He must be inspired by his hate mail from good christians.

Posted by: eviltemptress ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 07:13PM

I really enjoy Sagan's writing. My favorite quote is this one from "Billions ans Billions."

The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides."

Posted by: chainsofmind ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 08:38PM

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 07:26PM

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 07:27PM

one of many--

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 07:45PM

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: February 01, 2011 01:00AM

When my Ex saw it she called it anti-mormon. He never mentions mormons.

Date: February 01, 2011 01:16AM

Great book! Mormonism stunted my critical thinking, and this book was my introduction of how to be a critical thinker. It opened my eyes in so many ways. I no longer have a copy, because I keep buying them, and giving them away to people!

No, he never mentions Mormons. But his baloney detection kit alone will make a TBM squirm.

Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: February 01, 2011 11:19AM

"Demon Haunted World" was one of the first books I read after dumping Mormonism. It was a HUGE help! Highly recommended.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: February 01, 2011 02:07AM

...but I got it. "Grasp the universe as it really is" is an incredibly arrogant mouthful if it's meant to indicate some choice which people (as they currently take themselves to be) have. The phrase itself still implies a subject-object relationship, and that's part of our personal delusion about who we ourselves are.

If any universal truth can be "grasped," it is because of the holographic nature of the whole, where that truth is also the truth of each one of us. But ultimately, any phenomenon ("appearance"...to some kind of separate observer) is an illusion created by our own delusive standpoint.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: February 01, 2011 02:37AM

That is about as good as I think I can do.

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: February 01, 2011 05:00AM

I'm guessing you were part of the development team who came up with The Matrix trilogy...

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: February 01, 2011 05:56AM

I was The One who protested against including 6 hours of glorified violence (why all that pre-adolescent hardware... if "There is no spoon"?). But I got voted down.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: February 01, 2011 10:55AM

Nothing you said actually contradicts or diminishes what was said.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: February 01, 2011 09:59PM

++ good :)

Date: February 01, 2011 09:57PM

That would be true, unless a person has (metaphorically) stepped outside the universe "as it is", and seen another reality. And this reality showed how the previous "universe" reality is all delusion. And then the person returned to the "universe as it is" to say, "It's all delusion".

Date: February 01, 2011 10:06PM

Date: February 01, 2011 10:08PM

But evidently this 'delusion' has some explainable and predictable elements to it that we might as well not delude ourselves about.

Date: February 02, 2011 12:56AM

Don't know what it's called, but yoga gets there.

COM says:

"But evidently this 'delusion' has some explainable and predictable elements to it that we might as well not delude ourselves about."

As the Mormons have demonstrated, you can parse the false, but it remains false. That is, you can analyze the universe with an eye to improving your existence, but you will just make yourself comfortable in a falsehood. You will remain bound.

Yes, we play the game with grace, but as I see it, your comment could well have been said by a hamster (with a "positive attitude") on an exercise wheel.

When the hamster finally gets tired of running on the wheel (and he will), then he'll be ready to explore his extra-cage options vis a vis "reality".

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 01, 2011 02:40AM

"The world is so exquisite, with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better, it seems to me, to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2011 02:41AM by steve benson.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: February 01, 2011 06:44AM

and reality is better than any fairy tale.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: February 01, 2011 09:50AM

For my money, George Carlin was one of the greatest thinkers of our time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: February 01, 2011 09:58AM

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We're no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. it is simply too painful to acknowledge -- even to ourselves -- that we've been so credulous. (So the old bamboozles tend to persist as the new bamboozles rise.)" -The Demon Haunted World

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 01, 2011 10:58AM

They much prefer pretty myths.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: February 01, 2011 11:53AM

The price exacted by the haven-dweller is that he contrive to delude himself into believing that he has found a haven. It would seem unless one looks more deeply at the phenomenon, that most people are able to delude themselves and get through their lives quite happily. But I still believe that the unexamined life is not worth living: and I know that self-delusion, in the service of no matter what small or lofty cause, is a price no writer can afford...

--James Baldwin--
--Nobody Know My Name--

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.