Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 01:02PM

So I'm just curious. Do anyone of you know of anyone who has actually joined LDS Inc. at in part to their latest marketing campaigns? LDS Inc has spent millions putting out the "I'm a Mormon" ads, Facebook/online presence with members, and the new British advertisements and pageant.

Has this really helped or is it more tithing dollars down the drain?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 01:49PM

I think that, while the money is all just spinning down the toilet, the Holy Brethren still perceive it as some sort of success. That may be thanks to some yes-men, whose job it is to be the intermediaries between The World and The Holy Brethren. These men (they're certainly not women) choose their words carefully and speak only the most soothing words to the Big Guys and affirm that all is successful, all is well in Zion. Behold, all is well.

Posted by: erictheex ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 03:20PM

I think that the mormon market is saturated and declining. Like any other corporation who is experiencing downsizing, specially one that is loosing new and old business, the image of growth and sucess is a priority. The new baptisms, mostly abroad are to keep the US tithe payers believing and paying, it's just cost of business. They do nothing for the bottom line.

It is brand marketing dusguised as direct marketing.

For example Coke does not need to tell you how much a coke is, or what it is, they just need to associate with positive/popular things things at this point. You really wont see "Coke: now $40 cents a can" its all "coke = peace" type stuff. it's Brand marketing.

The church's brand is growth, goodwill, progress. So they have to appear like the product is selling like crazy in order to keep the brand going. This is why conversion stories, celebrity associations, charitable contributions, new missions, (positive) policy changes are so over-exposed: to keep up appearances.

The reality, however is that the US tithe payers, that contribute over 85% of the church's income are leaving and minimizing or stopping their contributions. These types of event, of course, are a lot less publicized: layoffs, no janitors, land sells, demands for more donations, defections, tithing slip disclosure changes, ward budget shrinkage, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2013 03:33PM by erictheex.

Date: September 09, 2013 05:38PM

I agree and this is one of the reasons why I TSCC keeps its financial records secret. Members would be troubled by how much money is spent on advertising. It would also not be very faith promoting to find out how little return they get on those ads.

Date: September 09, 2013 05:52PM

I can only imagine if member saw balance sheets that looked like this:

recreational and shopping centers:6 billion, charitable contributions: 5 million.

Tithing from the entire 5 stakes of Santa Maria De la Pobreza: 120k, salary of Elder Bednar 550k.

Advertising of charitable work 45 million, Charitable work donation: 5 Million.

Average member home value world wide: 11k. Free downtown condo and Park city resort for each member of the 12: 1.4 Million each.

Tithing paid by families in Congo that go hungry everyday: 40k per year. Salary of Thomas Monson's personal chef: 80k.

The fantasy would be over in a second for most members.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2013 07:56PM by erictheex.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 06:12PM

I don't know how accurate your info is, but it "feels" correct.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 07:40PM

I have a burning in my bosom that confirms that etherix's numbers are True!

RG

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 07:42PM

Big $ probably doesn't lure in folks on its own, but it makes the mishies slightly less likely to get folks to listen to them.

If you're part of a religion thats seen as low brow, with young kids without much $ or knowledge, wearing outfits that look like a 2nd rate catering uniform, it's going to be hard to push the message.

Back up the 2nd rate caterers with a big bucks advertising campaign, and the mishies don't look quiet so naive and frumpy anymore.

RG

Posted by: heypal ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 10:08PM

Your uniform comment gave me an idea. The Morg could open 'TSSC Pizza'. The mishies would handle deliveries and have a special like '50% off' if the customers listen to a discussion. If they agree to be baptised, they get one free pizza a week for a year. The possibilities are endless.....burp.

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 05:42PM

You're right - advertising sells an image, an image of life how we'd like it to be. It isn't product we're buying, it is an experience. That also maintains brand loyalty.

Date: September 09, 2013 05:54PM

MarkJ,

I think that you nailed it. Mormonism is just a feeling that people buy and the church sells. Everything is geared to fostering and promoting that feeling and members sacrifice, promote and defend it at any cost.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 05:59PM

Pride. TSCC is selling pride. So long as members believe that they are respected by the world, most will stay. Warm, fuzzy images sell with members. The advertising is not just to try to get more members but to keep members believing.

Date: September 09, 2013 06:12PM

I feel like they are just tootin their horn. They just want people to look they don't actually expect people to get in anymore.

Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 06:08PM

...the Book of Mormon play appears to have been the most effective marketing tool in recent years!

Date: September 09, 2013 06:14PM

Yes, I think they actually found some poor sap who actually became Mormon after watching it. Haha.

Posted by: NotSoSure ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 11:33PM

I think another "byproduct" of the big "I Am a Mormon" campaign is that all of the rank and file members are encouraged to create their own "promo" and put it on a special website, so investigators can find someone "like themselves." The member feels special (I'm part of this church campaign) and it also reinforces their beliefs (I just told the whole world that I have a testimony of the church, so it must be true). So, even if there aren't lots of converts, they are more deeply entrenching the members they already have.

Posted by: Dave in Hollywood ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 02:53PM

Does anyone but me remember those TV commercials from the 70s? They were soft-sell kind of heartwarming Hallmark type commercials. They were extremely effective and probably contributed to the high conversion rate at the time (plus no internet, etc).

I remember how thrilled my whole family was when a very effective public service announcement turned out to be for the Mormon church. I wonder why the Morg doesn't rehire that advertising agency?

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 03:12PM

I had a video of a series of those TV commercials from 70's and 80's.
Like the kid that enter home slamming the doors because he's so excited that he had a great report card and the dad telling him off because he had slammed the door.
Or the kid that started crying because they rush him during breakfast.
The 3 girls that cut their cupcake in half and end up giving them to the younger sister of one of them.
The senior class that invite senior citizens for their prom
The boy who bends down to let his small sister use his back to climb down a small stone wall.
The woman jogger that decides to bring every morning to an older woman the newspaper that the delivery boy leaves at the entrance of a long driveway, etc. etc.

Yeah, I remember them and of course they played on... wait for it... on what... FEELINGS.

Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 03:33PM

Allow me to share a story of a woman who I have heard about who is from nothern Utah and is joining the mormon church. She is not from Utah and has never before been mormon. Her husband recently was caught sexually molesting her daughter (his step daughter) and was being investigated by the police, etc. Oddly enough just as that was happening her husband suddenly decided to join the LDS church. The investigating detectives decided there was not enough evidence to prosecute, because mom wouldnt testify against hubby and apparently the 12 year old girls testimony wasnt good enough. Anyway now mom is also joining the church. The girl, lives with her bio dad now and hasnt and wont set foot in her moms home now (thankfully) but to me this illustrates exactly who and how the church is getting converts.

Posted by: FredOi ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 08:01PM

Look, that's stupid.
And stupid people also do stupid things

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.