Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 04:05PM

I'd like to see a woman walk into sacrament meeting in a white shirt, suit, tie, slick hair, wing tip shoes, and properly clean shaven of course (just thought I'd throw that in) and see what happens. I dare whoever has the guts. You might see a few heart attacks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 05:26PM

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 05:48PM

What the blokes think about it is their problem not mine. I wore trouser suits to church without any problems, especially in Winter. I have Reynauds and need to keep my legs and feet warm, especially if I'm sitting around in an unheated room.

I don't remember anyone challenging my mode of dress but things may be different over here.

Briggy

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 12:59PM

It is. There are 3 mormon churches. The corridor church. The US mission field church (includes Canada.) And the rest of the world church.

I've gone to all three and the world church is by far the best, and the corridor church is by far the worst.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 11:58PM

We just found out he's a diabetic too, so he's got a double-whammy with the agony of de feet.

Hope you're doing okay.

Awrighty, back on topic: I had a severe sunburn (don't EVER lie in the sun when taking an antibiotic!) at the age of twenty and my legs are blotchy and scarred, also I have very bad feet so my shoes are always old-lady klunky and have been all my adult life. I do not like to wear skirts on account of both, plus I just hate being told You-hafta-do/be/wear-THIS-because-you-are-female.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 04:59AM

Doxi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We just found out he's a diabetic too, so he's got
> a double-whammy with the agony of de feet.
>
> Hope you're doing okay.
>
> Awrighty, back on topic: I had a severe sunburn
> (don't EVER lie in the sun when taking an
> antibiotic!) at the age of twenty and my legs are
> blotchy and scarred, also I have very bad feet so
> my shoes are always old-lady klunky and have been
> all my adult life. I do not like to wear skirts on
> account of both, plus I just hate being told
> You-hafta-do/be/wear-THIS-because-you-are-female.

Hi Doxi - I'm thankfully not diabetic but do have to be vigilant in the winter re chillblanes and keeping extremities warm. No way would I be able to tramp around doing missionary stuff wearing mormony clothing.

I love to sail my dinghy and won't let reynauds get in the way - I will be wearing a dry suit very soon with lots of thermal layers underneath but can get away with a wetsuit in the summer as the lake water is still quite warm. As soon as I start to feel that awful numbness on my palms and cannot feel my toes I come ashore and head straight for a warm (not hot) shower - that usually puts paid to my sailing for that day and it is a nuisance at best.

One winter day I did missionary splits with the sisters, dressed 'appropriately' on foot, hobbling back to a warm place within a half hour.

Hugs

Briggy

Posted by: Nevermo1 ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 05:50PM

A newbie/investigator would probably get away with it.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 05:52PM

I would totally do that, (I even have the ensemble), but I couldn't manage the entire 3 hours. I could maybe manage 30 minutes, but I'd have to bring my phone to play with.

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 05:56PM

Clinton would be turned away. Liberal, pantsuit wearing, LGBTQ supporting (mostly), only had ONE child, aspired to the same job as her husband.

Sorry I just had to toss that in because I just finished reading Game Change.

Posted by: darksided ( )
Date: September 09, 2013 05:56PM

bullshit bullshit bullshit. Wearing pants means nothing to TSCC. You just look stupid and are identified as such for the rest of your life. No "worthy" member will ever respect you or look at you the same way again. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't happen. You can hope it happens and try but you are wasting your time.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 11:49AM

I wear what I want. I look hideous in a skirt and no one tells me what to wear.

Posted by: reddwarf ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 11:27AM

My wife wore her pantsuits regularly when we moved here 7 years ago. Our first sunday in the ward she wore a dark purple pantsuit and had to get up in RS to introduce herself. Some of the women have told her how "brave" she was to wear pants tot church and that they could never get away with it. She had a WTF moment with that because it was some of her nicest clothes at the time and why shouldn't she wear it.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 11:46AM

A sister in my ward wears pants almost every Sunday. She is very nice and LOOKS very nice in her slacks. I know the reactions are mixed between both men and women.

Some give her props for wearing what she wants and some are appalled. Conformity is a huge part of the LDS religious experience.

Dressing different is the outer expression of independent thinking and THAT'S BAD.

DT

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 11:32AM

Love it when the antifeminists come out to play.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 12:10PM

I don't see wearing pants as a feminist issue. In the first place unless you show up dressed like Victor Victoria, you will look like a woman. Second, it has always bothered me that some people equate equality with masculinity. A woman shouldn't have to be like a man, to have the same rights as a man. I don't care if I'm dressed in pink lace from head to toe, I want autonomy and equality.

Date: September 10, 2013 01:06PM

Well stated.

Posted by: time2go ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 12:37PM

It is dealt out both ways. My husband was sternly scolded by the stake ym president for wearing a blue dress shirt instead of white every sunday because he was setting a bad example for the ym. In our last ward my husband was also treated badly, and as if he was less than worthy of associating with because he came to church in his work clothes. I was huge pregnant with a very difficult pregnancy and towing our other 7 children to church alone. He would finish work as fast as he could and come straight to church to help me. The bishop of that ward told my husband to quit his job and put our family on welfare and the lord would bless us with a job that didnt require sundays for our faithfulness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2013 12:49PM by time2go.

Date: September 10, 2013 01:08PM

I hope you told the bishop to go *you know where*.

Posted by: time2go ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 02:09PM

My husband did....in nicer terms. He also told the entire EQ where to soak their heads when they were all bragging about what they LET their wives do or not do, then he walked out and never went back.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 01:56PM

That's our bishops!, always looking out for our best interests.

This whole dress shirt thing is so stupid. For years all I would wear was either colored or patterned shirts. Most of my clothes came from a haberdashery located near to where I worked in Rome, and I was very proud of my Italian collection. But thing was, I was going to church in Rome and then later in Germany, where a lot of Mormon men wore a lot of patterned and colored shirts, and no one said a thing. A couple of other Americans in my ward said that they made it a point to never wear a white shirt, too. I even served in a high council and never wore a white shirt to a meeting or to a speaking engagement. I wonder how much of this is just American Mormon zealotry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2013 01:56PM by cludgie.

Posted by: reddwarf ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 04:16PM

It is american religious zealotry that is trying to go global. I used to cringe every phood session when GBH would comment on the "wonderful sight of all these white shirts in the conference center". I ceased wearing white shirts to church most sundays to be out of the norm. I wore a white shirt every day for 2 years so I have done enough. I rarely wear ties as well. I only wear a white shirt when I feel like it fits best with my jacket and only when I feel it is best.

Posted by: CAli Sally ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 11:48PM

It is American CORPORATE mentality. And most of the apostles come from corporate America. You people in Europe and elsewhere must be living like you actually belong to a church. How innovative.lol

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 12:49PM

It depends on a lot of factors. But, yes, it's done. Not often, that I recall.

Usually women are very dress conscious. We often ask: what is the dress for a certain occasion.

LDS women, raised in the church know what "Sunday Best" is, just as I did growing up in a different church.

A few months ago, I wore slacks to my husbands funeral service in the local LDS Chapel. I was still wearing a removable cast/boot and using a walker as I had broken bones in my right foot. The pants covered the boot nicely. Nobody said anything to me about wearing slacks.

Now days, when I attend a church, I wear a nice slacks outfit. Many do the same, but not all. I see a large variety of outfits on men and women at church.
I am retired and no longer have a need for a appropriate dress clothes for work, so I don't own any.

Youth dances are another matter entirely and they were very adamant about what was appropriate dress. Because one of my daughters was not exactly within someone else's interpretation,even though we thought she was, and her dress, designed and made by her was beautiful, she was told to go home and change or wear a shawl. She called her father and went home. She rarely attended after that.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 08:41PM

Apparently there is a lot of misunderstanding and misinformation.
My mother, in the late 30s and early 40's began wearing slacks which they called: trousers, for casual wear. (Probably didn't wear them to church though.)

More women began wearing slacks during WW2 going into the work force, especially when men had gone to war.

http://www.squidoo.com/1940s-home-front-costume

Historically it has been traditional to subscribe to particular dress attire for church meetings.

Now days, church services in many churches are much more casual and so is the dress attire. But not so much with the LDS Church.
There is specific acceptable attire for various meetings and events.
We wore slacks to choir practice in the chapel on Sundays, for instance, but not to Sacrament meeting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2013 08:41PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 10, 2013 03:43PM

I've mentioned before about an ultra TBM saying that women who wear pants, especially pantsuits want to be men, on Babycenter or some similar board. I admit that when I first went to the Mormon church, I did wear slacks as that was my church clothing, and my TBM ex was the only one to say something, but I'm sure others did gossip about my feminist attire. The ironic thing about my ex saying something about my wearing slacks is that he didn't like to wear white shirts to church and only started to conform himself when the bishop got on his case and offered to send him to DI for white shirts. After that meeting, my ex wore white shirts, and eventually caved into the pressure to shave off his facial hair and cut his shoulder length hair into the missionary cut.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 12:13AM

It's about conforming and being moldable.... Also it's more about that you will be unofficial lay labelled 'liberal' ad they will keep an eye on you and you will never truly be considered spiritually on par with others.

Posted by: tisket ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 01:40AM

Once in RS two young women, probably visitors, came wearing studded jeans and t-shirts. Everybody was very nice to them, as far as I could tell. I don't remember seeing them again.

Once at a high episcopal church I heard the priest soundly berate a woman from the pulpit for daring to wear pants to mass.

Posted by: homoerectus ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 01:47AM

Is it kind of reverse psychology? Your expected not to wear pants, so you want to. Not that there is anything wrong with wearing pants to church. Or is it that you want to feel masculine? If I was a female in the LDS church, I would want to wear a dress, and I would wear a hijab too, because I think they are pretty. I wouldnt want to wear it as a guy though, unless I looked like Obiwan Kenobi. If I showed up anywhere in a dress and hijab as a man, I bet I would see a lot of snickering and ridicule, even from feminists aka masculinists.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2013 02:06AM by homoerectus.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 01:55AM

I think it's strange that the FLDS Mormons are also often seen wearing white shirts. Why?

What are they thinking? Why are they following the rules of the current day Mormon prophets when they think they aren't prophets? Why are they doing things like FHE? It's like they are trying to pattern themselves after a church they claim they don't believe in.

I really don't get that.

Posted by: wideawake ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 02:19AM

the one time I had to go I was told specifically to wear a dress.

I thought about donning an Indian Sari but in the end didn't. I wish I had as I, as a nevermo had nothing to lose and couldn't care what those morgbots thought of me but the reactions would have been fun to watch and a nice distraction from the horrifying experience it was.

having recently been to a Baptist service, it was quite the contrast with even the pastors wearing casual clothes, others were in sport clothes having biked there, some women wore dresses, others wore jeans, some had shorts. some were (shock shock horror horror) showing shoulders, etc. people seemed genuinely happy and at ease.

on the other hand the women I saw in the mo church were not at all comfortable in either their clothing or their skin, and lots had a gaggle of unruly kids to deal with on top of it.

so glad I was never sucked into this crazy conformist cult. like God or Jesus care if you wear a dress or not to church.

Posted by: aquarius ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 03:08AM

P@nts , skirts ?

Really?

Women, you'al need to grow a pair.

Men, you too, need to grow a pair!

(Note to the women, you all ready have a pair!)

It's just a stupid garment.

Really!

God or doG, really doesn't care.

It's to keep you warm or in a more *refined* culture, decent, to cover up your *bits*.l

The Morgs will only see me, in warmer weather, in a kilt. Since I only have a nice utilitily (one color, not plaid, with pockets)kilt, that is what they would see me in. No tie, don't have one. White shirt, not sure if I have one.

To the women, you want to wear p@nts?, go for it!

You'al can keep the damn things, there are rather umcomfortable, at least for this guy!

I DON'T need to wear them for western societies standards. Nope, don't ride a horse, don't need to wear them, just so I can be a *man*.

My *junk* is between , well, my legs. P@nts don't feel, well, comfortable.

Women what to wear p@nts to church?....Go for it!!!

It's just a stupid garment (Did I say this already?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2013 03:15AM by aquarius.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.