Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jangadai ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 02:15PM

We're trying to work out a group for Davis county (and surrounding areas) and in talking with Frightened Inmate #2, we're thinking a weekly Sunday meetup at 1 at Barnes park (for now, while it's still warmish) would work out well since the response was so great to last week's meetup.

The question I have for you all is regarding a facebook page. We'd like to possibly start a new one, but it appears there are already some small exmo groups throughout the area.

So should we start our own? Or is there a Davis exmo facebook page we can all join?

And if we do start our own, what would you all want the name to be?

We'd like to get this going soon so we can have some sort of organization for our group.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: queenb ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 05:04PM

I think weekly is too often... monthly sounds nice.

the park will be fine through October, but after that, not sure where would be a good place to meet up.

Date: September 11, 2013 05:05PM

We could do the first sunday of every month (fast sunday), so it would be easy for everyone to remember. We can eat while the momos fast ;)

Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 06:13PM

I will pass the sacrament! With Raptor Jesus blessing of course.

What to call the page???

I like Yesterday Saints of Daivis County. I already have plenty of exMormon named pages.

Posted by: Frightened Inmate #2 ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 06:16PM

If we just call the group "davis county RfM meetup" it might make more sense, that way we're not overriding anybody else's group. It would be there mostly so we could match a name to a face, and to create events. Our discussions take place on the forums anyway.

Date: September 11, 2013 11:31PM

that is a great name for a facebook group, because no one will know by the name that it is an ex-mormon group... so if any of your friends/family see that you belong to it, they wont put two and two together.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 06:17PM

For the meetup we do weekly seems to work very well - we have a lot of people who only show up once a month but it makes it so that people know it is always there is they feel like attending. There also several of us who attend most of the time and it is nice to get to know a few people really well.

If you do move forward with a facebook group I'd be interested in being a member although it would probably be quite rare that I get up that way.

Date: September 11, 2013 06:23PM

Thanks for arranging and coming to the one last week! You don't happen to have any contact info for that couple that you invited on Saturday night do you?

Date: September 11, 2013 06:29PM

Yes - if you email me at my public email address on here brian@brigthbuilders.com I can get you in contact via facebook.

Posted by: decieved for years ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 06:27PM

Once a week, those that make it, make it. Those that cant, cant. The oportunity for some folks to come even occasionally would be enhanced if the option is there more than once a month.
Have it Once a month, we might end up as the group up north did. Stagnant.
As for Wifey and myself, we would most likely go 2- 3 out of 4 weeks avereage or so a month. Course this just might be us.
Maybe not everybody could. Some more, some less.
I personally would hate to have it suddenly become "out of sight, out of mind" after it snowballing so well thus far by pulling back to once a month.
Just a thought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2013 06:28PM by decievedforyears.

Date: September 11, 2013 07:19PM

This is exactly what frightened inmate and I talked about. Having it once a week ensures there's always something planned for those that might need more social interaction.

Date: September 11, 2013 11:26PM

I just feel like with weekly ones, you will have a couple regulars, but overall less of a turnout... and if there is less of a turnout regularly, then things will die out.

I'm just not ready to have another weekly sunday commitment. I just got rid of church! lol.

Date: September 12, 2013 12:03AM

I totally understand not wanting a weekly commitment! I think though if people know we've got a stable, weekly group that they can depend on, then it would be more likely to stay afloat. By no means would anyone be obligated to come every week; just when it works out for each family. I'm basing this thinking off of the SLC group I attended. They're more solid than any other group I've seen and they meet every Sunday at 1.

Date: September 11, 2013 06:40PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2013 06:51PM by decievedforyears.

Date: September 11, 2013 06:42PM

A fine turnout it was. I would like to hear some idea's for the group's name itself, but as for a possible facebook page, I think we need some input at one of the group gatherings we are setting up as to where that might lead.
Sounds like some interesting times ahead are indeed possible.

Posted by: kjourney ( )
Date: September 11, 2013 07:11PM

Can we make the FB group a private group with hidden members? Not everyone I'm friends with on FB knows we've left and I'd prefer to keep it that way. If not, I understand.

Date: September 11, 2013 07:20PM

If you make it s "secret" facebook group that is what happens - no one can even see you are a member of it and they can't see what you post unless they are a member.

Date: September 11, 2013 07:20PM

jangadai and I talked about doing a closed group, I'm not sure if others can see if you're in that or not. And if people don't have facebook, or don't want to be in that group they'll hear about the meetups on the forum.

Date: September 12, 2013 12:40PM

In a closed group, the only thing people can see is the name of the group that you are in... they cannot see anything that anyone posts... so if we make the name a bit ambiguous, then everyone should be cool with it, so they wont be outed to family and friends unintentionally.

Date: September 12, 2013 12:30PM

So how about this. Let's plan on doing it weekly, effective immediately. If that doesn't seem to work after a while, we'll adjust. And this Sunday we can talk more about a name for the FB group. All in favor?... Any opposed?... ;)

Date: September 12, 2013 12:58PM

I think this will be great. I will try to run by with my wife for a 'bit around 2:00 this Sunday. Thanks.

Posted by: starkravingmad ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 12:47PM

There is a "secret" facebook group that about 5 of us formed called "Davis County Ex-Mormon's" back in July. It didn't pick up a lot of posts and we just got together for coffee a few times.

It needs someone who is willing to take the time and help admin the group. Send me a fb message/friend request and I will add you. https://www.facebook.com/mabettolo

Date: September 12, 2013 12:51PM

My husband joined your group and I saw that you wanted it to be men only. That made me not want to have anything to do with your group anyways... though you should change the name to something more fitting like "Davis County Ex-Priesthood Holders"

Posted by: starkravingmad ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 12:54PM

Originally when it formed it was 5 guys with believing wives and we wanted a place to meet that wasn't threatening to our wives. It doesn't say anywhere that it is "men only". The question was asked in the group "Should this be limited to men only?" but it was never decided that way. It isn't the intent to make it men only.

Date: September 12, 2013 03:43PM

This may be a good idea. Let's chat when we meetup on Sunday and see what the others want to do. :)

Date: September 13, 2013 07:44PM

Please see new thread titled "DAVIS county meetups & facebook group (cont.)" for more info!

Date: October 15, 2013 06:53PM

Wondering just what ever happend to the Davis group that was formed here in central Davis Co. {Kaysville}.

Have not been around much on the board lately, but seems things kind of evaporated along with our good weather.

Anything coming up of interest?

Date: October 15, 2013 07:32PM

Maybe it is the weather, plenty of coffee shops, banquet rooms available though. Ideas?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.