Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dee ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 04:21PM

My TBM husband has invited me to hear a Mormon woman professor talk about women in Mormonism. I told him he doesn't want me there to ask questions but if I go what would be a good question?

Emma Smith and D&C re polygamy?, ERA and excommunication ? Spirit children?

I briefly converted but never believed and asked to have name removed( probably was ex'd) over 30 yrs ago. Wish I could go through life and never think of this cult again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: releve ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 04:43PM

Does God consider men and women to be equal and if he does, is D&C 132 the word of God?

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 04:58PM

Does having the priesthood interfere with a man's ability to be a good father? If not, doesn't it follow that it wouldn't interfere with a woman's ability to be a good mother either? If so, why can't women hold the priesthood?

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: September 12, 2013 05:37PM

Mormonism teaches that children are born either female or male. But reality is that some children are born hermaphrodites or inter-sex.

How does a mormon mother deal with this kind of congenital abnormalcy in raising a child.

Are there any church policies regarding this condition?

(many mormons have studied so little science and biology they don't even know these conditions exist)

Posted by: ck ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 03:10AM

Personally I like this question, and you can reference BKP's conference talk in which he dealt horribly with gender identity and homosexuality issues.

“Some suppose that they were preset and cannot overcome what they feel are inborn tendencies toward the impure and unnatural. Not so! Why would Heavenly Father do that to anyone? Remember, He is our Heavenly Father.”

The POTF states clearly that gender is an essential characteristic, but there are people born without a clear gender identity. Biologically they are both genders. Also there are many who feel that their biological gender is wrong. Explain this in light of BKP's sentiments and those expressed within the POTF. Is it possible that the church's interpretations about gender identity and gender roles is completely off-base?

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 03:46AM

ck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> “Some suppose that they were preset and cannot
> overcome what they feel are inborn tendencies
> toward the impure and unnatural. Not so! Why would
> Heavenly Father do that to anyone? Remember, He is
> our Heavenly Father.”

This is pretty amazing. It's the same reasoning some atheists use to "prove" that because the god they imagine might exist doesn't, no god does.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 07:01AM

I like villager's question too. But, if the woman knows nothing about biology, you won't get an answer. Female is the default gender.

My question: Why can men get married and sealed multiple times in the temple, but women can't? Women must have a previous temple marriage and sealing canceled before getting married again. Men don't. If a woman is widowed young, she can't marry in the temple again.

Posted by: Dee ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 07:57AM

That is a great question! Thanks

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 10:46AM

If I woman has children from more than one husband, there is some question as to whom the children get sealed to. How is that preserving the family?

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 09:21AM

President Ezra Taft Benson and other Mormon general authorities frequently warned about the dangers of women working outside the home. These come from the 1990's. Some statements may be later.

You can probably find some quotes on lds.org.

Questions about these statements could be interesting. If the person responds that the church is changing etc. It raises the question about whether the warnings from these so-called prophets were worth in the first place.

Posted by: ness ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 10:38AM

If DC 132 is correct, won't we have to accept sister wives in the afterlife if our husband so wish to take another wife?

If God takes into account a woman's desire to stay monogamist, why did he tell Emma she had to accept JS wives?

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 02:40PM

Do you have any more information about the topic or the speaker? Because I don't think you can except cogent answers if this person is not a scriptorian, or a scholar, or hasn't done research in the area you want to ask about. For starters, what is she a professor OF?

I think you're going to have to go for something a little bit more general, like, "How can you sleep at night, knowing that you are propping up a religion that subverts and oppresses half its population?"

Well, not that, but you know. Something that wouldn't require years of research to be able to answer. What if this person hasn't read D&C 132 in ten years? How could you possibly answer a gotcha question like that? I would keep the questions focused in her area of expertise so she has less excuse to wriggle out of the answer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2013 02:41PM by dogzilla.

Posted by: abinadiburns nli ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 03:48PM

Why is the keynote speaker for women's week at byu...a man?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.