Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 08:27AM

I am in Denver and we have been way below 0. This morning -15 now with windchills -20 or so.

I went out yesterday to start my car and it is deader than a doornail. It is probably frozen solid.

So what should I do? I was going to call AAA but with it still being that cold, I dont see the point. When it warms up will it start or should I get it towed and have the fluids changed or what? It is an old clunker 94 buick century. The battery is about 4 months old.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 08:43AM

but i am in Miami...so i am really just topping!! :)

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 04:12PM

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 09:54AM

How long has it been since you checked your antifreeze, and what temp did it test down to? Go out and open the cap, and see if it looks frozen or slushy. If it does, you probably have some big problems, cracked block, or heads, or need a valve job. If not it's probably just the battery. Cold weather is hell on them, and it should still be under waranty. When it warms up, "Jump" the car(it will take a while) and take it back to where you got it.

Posted by: nomomoses ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 10:06AM

It was -25 at my place this morning, and I had to use the battery charger/starter to get my car going. As long as your coolant is at the correct 50% mixture, it should not be that. It usually is the battery, and cold temperatures will always lower the amps. It is just like taking a AA battery out of a remote control and rubbing it in your hands. You can get a little more life out when it is warmer.

Just in case this cold in the Rockies continues, a magnetic engine block heater can help. They also have battery warmers, but you can also take an extension cord a place a incandenscent bulb next to the battery to help warm it up.

If you have AAA, you can call them and if it is the battery, they would probably be able to get you started no problem. Just like me using the charger/starter, unlike a battery it was able to provide the current flow (amps) to start the car without problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2011 10:08AM by nomomoses.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 10:07AM

If it just wouldn't turn over try getting a jump. If it turned over, but wouldn't start, you'll probably have to wait for it to warm up. And then run some HEET into the gas and check all of your other fluids. If it did freeze solid, as jon1 says, you could have big problems.

Posted by: Captain Caveman ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 11:26AM

I pulled the battery out of my car when it got gross here and left it inside. A little heet like Richard the Bad says is helpful, i think it comes in a yellow plastic bottle?

Date: February 02, 2011 11:27AM

Thanks to all. I have no idea what it tested at. I did have a mechanic give it the one over. I am over 60 and have no clue about those things. I will look in the radiator and see what that is. I live in a large apartment building so no electricity even close to it. Thanks again for all the advice.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 11:37AM

...both cold and hot. When a battery fails the weather will almost always be very cold or very hot.

If your battery is only four months old and you paid for a reasonably good one in the first place, it is not likely the battery is the problem (althouth it could be new/defective).

If you turned the key to start and the starter did not crank the engine, then the battery has an insufficient charge. If the battery is new it might be okay, but your alternator may not charging properly.

If you heard the starter cranking the engine, but the engine would not start, then the problem is not with the battery. More than likely you have a problem with the way the engine adjusts fuel mixture and ignition relative to the cold temperature.

If you have AAA, that's a good place to start. Good luck!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 12:36PM

your car will be fine once you get it started.

looks like you have some kind of battery drain when the car is turned off.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 12:37PM

A four month old battery should start a car at 0F, which should not need to be plugged in, battery warmers installed at that temp. You maybe have a non battery related electrical problem that is causing the battery to discharge, and when it got colder, the lessened battery power just was not sufficent to turn the car over.

The car will still start with frozen antifreeze, but will overheat quickly BTW. You should be using 5W-30 oil during the winter as well.

Once you get it started get the electrical system checked out, as you will ruin the battery very quickly, and be stranded again if it is not functionning properly.

Date: February 02, 2011 01:25PM

Well mission failed. I went and pulled the hood latch but I cannot figure out how to open it. It only popped a few inches high. I could call the home teachers, NOT.

Since I am retired I will just quilt and read til it warms up.

Then I will call AAA. I have no idea what kind of oil is in it either. I just let mechanics do that stuff.

When I turn the key no clicks no nothing.

Surely it will get warmer in a week or so. If it is still dead I will junk it, I don't need to be driving anyways. I will have to figure out creative ways to get out.

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 06:21PM

wondering Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I turn the key no clicks no nothing.

It could be a few things (i.e. ignition swith, starter motor, starter motor wire, etc.) but the most likely suspect is the battery. See if someone will give you a jump start. Before you do that, though, have a look at the wires on the top of the battery. If they look frayed it may be that your little critter got to them.

I carry jump-start cables with me (get the longest ones you can afford.) Even if you don't ever care to hook up the cables, you can almost always find someone to help you out. But hooking up the cables is not hard at all.

Or there's alway AAA. :-)

Don't stress. In all likelihood, it's not a huge problem.

Date: February 02, 2011 03:50PM

Woo Hoo. Got the hood up. I went out again and a woman was charging her car. She could not figure it out either and a hispanic guy was in the parking lot so we yelled and he came over and in one second it was up. He showed us how it worked so next time I can do it myself.

There was green liquid in the radiator so that is good. I found a mess of insulation from the top of my hood in some wires on top of the engine. It looked like some critter was making a nest. So I got all of that out.

Hopefully tomorrow it will start or I will call AAA, it is supposed to be above 0 tomorrow. yahoooooo.

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 04:39PM

I hope it is just your battery. Please keep us informed and stay warm!! :)

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 02, 2011 05:11PM

Could be you need to check the battery connections, you might not have been putting enough charge into the battery. Or with the critter being in there? Could be a short circuit to earth, that would drain your battery. Call the AAA out, after all, that's what you pay them for! ;o))

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.