Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 04:53AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 05:02AM

Are there female bishops, SPs, GAs?

In the morg sexism is more pervasive and widespread than racism and homophobic policies.

Do women in the temple learn their husband's secret name? Do men have to cover their faces for temple rituals?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2011 07:26PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 03:13PM

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 09:00AM

Back in 2000, Richard G.l Scott said that Satan is trying to convince women of the lie that they are THIRD-CLASS citizens! that's enough for me.

BTW it was in April of 2000GC.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 09:13AM

Sexism is about power. The only power women get in the church is given to them by men. Men decide who of the women get power, and they can't do anything that displeases the men who gave them the power, without a rebuke.

On an institutional level, men have all the power.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 09:24AM

Most members recognize that it would be defined as homophobic, but they believe god's ways are higher than man's. As for sexist, many recognize it, some justify it by saying women have an equal power that men don't have, so it's fair, blah blah blah.

But almost all mos I know refuse to acknowledge LDSinc is racist any more. If I start to point out that talk of chosen people, abrahamic covenant and so forth is racist doctrine, they refute me with the idea of "adoption" into the covenant being equal. I don't buy it, but they seem very content with it.

What all do you say to that?

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 09:28AM

Refer them to the current Aaronic teaching manual (available online) - specifically the lesson on choosing an Eternal Partner.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 10:53AM

Are women considered equal partners with men in the church or home. No. The man is considered to have more authority simply because he is the "priesthood holder" (AKA, a MAN). They may give lip service to equality, but men are eligible to be the leaders JUST BECAUSE they are men, not because their individual qualities or abilities exceed those of women. Supposedly, they are more entitled to receive revelation for those in their stewardship . .. ya know . . . the chain of command thing. That's sexist.

Is a woman encouraged to choose a life path that fits her talents, passions, and abilities and helps her reach her potential? NO. All women of the church are expected to put raising a family first on their priority list and let go of her other aspirations. Motherhood is idealized as the end all, be all reason for their existence. (Even though it is a temporary stage of life, therefore setting up an identity crisis when that stage of life ends . . . but that's another post). Childlessness or remaining single is traumatic for LDS women because they are not fulfilling their true purpose in life.

Because of the lack of education and career training/experience, LDS women tend to lack personal power in the case of bad marriages, and are ill-prepared to enter the workforce when they need to. They are easier to control because they have less confidence, and no way to support themselves. Many men put their wives on allowances and control all the money.

Guilt is dished out to women who wait to start families or who limit the size of their families so they can pursue career goals or earn income for their families. Women are told it's selfish or materialistic to have a career.

Many LDS men seem to be put off by independent and competent women.

Posted by: joesmyth ( )
Date: February 05, 2011 09:04PM

Women should not be told "it's selfish or materialistic to have a career."

It's exactly that kind of backwards thinking that ushered me as far from the church as possible. Also I am not Jewish, but I would prefer to put an orange on the Seder plate for any Seders held in my own house.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 11:45AM

Mormonism is sexist at both the theological and practical levels.

Practically, women in LDS Inc ALWAYS need permission from men to do anything, or to have ANY access to church funds (not that local men have much access either, but that's another thread). Women do not EVER "preside" at a meeting where men are present. They can only "preside" in Primary, RS, or YW - where only children or women are in attendance.

Theologically, women are always subservient to the penishood, and the concept of Mother-in-Heaven is spectacularly sexist. Our so-called Heavenly Mother isn't allowed to talk to her children, they aren't allowed to talk to her. That's about as f***ed up a concept of "family" as I can imagine, yet Mormons constantly practically wet their pants over trying to protect the "family". Their concept of Mother in Heaven tells you all you really need to know about how important family really is to them.

Mother in Heaven has no name, no face, no voice. That's about as much of a non-person as it is possible to be, short of complete annihilation. MiH's only apparent purpose is as spirit-sperm receptacle, and having spirit children that she apparently never gets to interact with. Gods seem to have it a lot better than goddesses. Funny how that works.

Is Mormonism sexist? Are you effing kidding me? They are the IMAX Theaters of sexism.

Posted by: Freevolved ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 01:18PM

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 01:29PM

Joking?

Posted by: nomomoses ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 02:12PM

I don't know if this is church policy, but I know in the local ward the RS is no longer allowed to plan any activities w/o the bishopric approval and they must have a M PH holder at every meeting, including the meting previously known as homemaking (I can't remember their new name).

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 02:44PM

The new RS meetings are officially called "Home, Family and Personal Enrichment Meeting". This is from the CHI Book 1.

EDIT:

Their purpose is to "Strengthen faith in Jesus Christ, teach parenting and homemaking skills, socialize, learn, and be uplifted."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2011 02:45PM by truthseeker.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: February 03, 2011 02:46PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.