Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: eloher ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 11:16AM

That is just terrible. The cover-up is what's worse though. I can only imagine the angst and anguish she was going through; questioning her faith, questioning her country and the military that she was a part of, and questioning her own place and where she fit into it all. I bet it was overwhelming to say the least.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 10:06PM

it could have been murder. I don't put anything past those "black ops" types. They justify horrors if they think they can get away with the "patriotic duty" excuse.

Posted by: Raymond ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 10:43PM

From the article:

"Appalled when ordered to take part in interrogations that, no doubt, involved what most would call torture."

No doubt. No evidence. Huffington Post. Figures.

Delete this blatantly political post.

Date: September 18, 2010 11:44PM

...have the intellectual integrity to pull the post.

When an article has to say "no doubt" something happened, and then provides no evidence, it's called propaganda.

Garbage. Pull the post.

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 11:11AM

she was a sane, caring person who was suddenly confronted with with the most ugly, vicious acts of the brutality of war on unarmed prisoners and not surprisingly was shaken to her core.

Her "faith" did not save her, for it taught her that her highest duty was "obedience" to those in authority.

I expect the men who participated in the Mountain Meadow Massacre had many sleepless nights afterward.

Date: September 19, 2010 10:57PM

...This person was "suddenly confronted with the most ugly, vicious acts of the brutality of war on unarmed prisoners and not surprisingly was shaken to her core."

Your evidence that she witnessed or participated in torture IS???

I guess I should just stop thinking when someone says "no doubt."

You like living the narrative, don't you?

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 03:49AM

I think it was intended as a comment about the author's feelings that most people would consider what the woman saw to be torture but it was not necessarily claiming that it WAS torture. Since no one who actually knows what the woman saw has told the whole truth, there is no way to know for sure. However what the other woman described absolutely sounded like torture to me. I have a small burn on my finger right now an to think of cigarettes being flicked and causing more such burns... PLUS the act of demeaning and humilliating them by stripping them and placing them in front of a woman -- how barbaric. Americans SHOULD hold themselves (ourselves) to a higher standard if we're going to go around proclaiming our way of life "better" than others.

And the post shouldn't be pulled, in my opinion, because the aspect of her shaken faith in Mormonism makes it on topic.

It sounds like her faith was shaken before her experiences with the interrogation unit but it clearly wasn't there to shore up her psyche when she was further stressed by whatever it was. The fact that the government felt it necessary to black out parts of her suicide notes indicates to me that something inappropriate was going on.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 01:49AM

I know this is a big leap...but here is a young woman, she goes overseas, is confronted with lots of conflict...more than the real world has, and not only that, perhaps she starts questioning her faith. Maybe she is even now starting to question her sexuality, because she is around other women in an intimate, lonely, stressful situation. Perhaps it was just too much...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.