Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 11:17PM

Bruce R. McConkie said:
"We do not worship the Son, and we do not worship the Holy Ghost. I know perfectly well what the scriptures say about worshipping Christ and Jehovah, but they are speaking in an entirely different sense—the sense of standing in awe and being reverentially grateful to him who has redeemed us. Worship in the true and saving sense is reserved for God the first, the Creator." (http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=602
)

And Mormons wonder why Christians have a problem with Mormons calling themselves Christians?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2013 11:47PM by StoneInHat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zimmy ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 11:25PM

I luke chapter 4 the Savior also teaches this concept to satan

6 And the devil came unto him, and said unto him, All this power will I give unto thee, and the glory of them; for they are delivered unto me, and to whomsoever I will, I give them.

7 If thou therefore, wilt worship me, all shall be thine.

8 Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan; for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

I always had with Mormons who did not seem to understand this concept.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: October 09, 2013 11:41PM

But in the Book of Mormon, the Nephites worshipped Jesus, and he did not rebuke them.

Date: October 09, 2013 11:46PM

Good point!

Posted by: bishop Rick ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 09:49AM

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 10:00AM

He was no doubt speaking as a man, sharing his own opinion. And the more recent GA's that said McKonkie was speaking as a man, were also no doubt speaking as men sharing their opinions in saying McKonkie was speaking as a man.

Date: October 10, 2013 03:51PM

Okay, I was speaking as a white salamander. I should have made that clear in my original post.

Posted by: redpill ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 04:17PM

I think it is wrong to worship anything you can't put your hands or eyes on. Just stick to golden idles and everything will be fine.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 06:14PM

McDonkie was right. They worship money.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 10:52PM

Like!

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 10:56PM

Ditto.

Nothing but net, Don.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 11, 2013 02:21AM

with interesting results. Just the word "worship," KJV, from the four gospels:

http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/?search=worship&version1=KJV&searchtype=all&spanbegin=47&spanend=50&resultspp=100

Jesus was worshiped PLENTY!

McConkie is attempting a semantic sleight-of-hand, similar to what the JW's do, by parsing "worship" with concepts like "reverence" or "obeiance" or "respect." The worship of Jesus is an essential part of the argument for Christ's Divinity: the Jews regarded the worship of any thing or being, other than the incorporeal YHWH, as blasphemy. And although they didn't execute Sabbath-breakers, they did stone blasphemers of this type.

The Gospel writers knew exactly what they were advocating when they wrote things like, "having found him he said, “Do you believe in the Son of Man?” He answered, “And who is he, sir, that I may believe in him?” Jesus said to him, “You have seen him, and it is he who is speaking to you.” He said, “Lord, I believe,” and he worshiped him" (John 35b-38).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.