Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon4this ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 12:28PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 12:47PM

As long as you did everything you were supposed to, including keeping a temple recommend, you had a job for life. This is now no longer necessarily the case. The Church's layoffs including those at CHurch HQ and the custodial staff purge of the last decade are, to my knowledge, without precedent.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 01:01PM

I'd wager the layoffs are due to a decrease in tithing revenue. I'm sure there will be more layoffs in the years ahead.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 01:04PM

'How would it be, I wondered, to work in there, in close proximity to the most spiritual men on the earth? Perhaps I could get a good job in the city, workin' for the Lord every night and day.

"Quickest way to lose your testimony."'

http://puremormonism.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-corporatism-has-undermined-and.html

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 01:05PM

Say, when will the COB employees start having to clean their own building?

Posted by: heretic ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 01:45PM

If you expect to make a career of working for TSCC you better be ready
for the possibility of working upwards of 80 hour weeks.
40 hours at the COB and up to 40 hours a week
for whatever callings you get in your ward & stake.

If you decline to perform any of the latter 40 hours of "VOLUNTARY SERVICE" I suspect
you're likely to be invited in for some "career planning" regarding your job at the COB.

And the longer you work for TSCC and the closer you get to retiring
(when you start receiving your pension),
the harder it'll be for you to decline any "VOLUNTARY CALLINGS" you would receive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 02:02PM by heretic.

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 05:26PM

I was offered a job in the church. I turned it down when I found out that every two years they chat with your bishop to make sure your temple worthy.

Which means your bishop has you by the balls. Refuse a calling, or opt out of one, or not pay a full tithe or go to all your meetings or not do service projects or home teaching and it all gets reported to your employeer.

Your ten percent is atuomaticaly taken out of you paycheck anyhow.

plus there was devotional meetings every Monday morning. Prayer before every meeting, close monitoring of your attitude and you must have a sprititual goal your working on and report your progress to your supervisor.

Once I found out all that I turned the job down to go to work for the communist party in China. (humor)

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 05:28PM

Oh, by the way I was told I didn't have to hold a temple recomend just that I had to be temple worthy

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 05:36PM

My mom worked for the church and she told me about how two of her co-workers were fired. The women was having a hard time with her marriage and she started emotionally bonding with male co-worker for support. She would follow him into rooms to be alone with him. He would immediatly leave. She would ask co-workers where he was going for lunch and then show up there and ask to share a table. She would change her schedule so they always worked at the same time. She would also wait to see if he stayed late and then she would too. In someways he was being stalked.
His mistake is that he didn't turn her in, because eventually another co-worker complained and said they were fraternizing with each other. Witnesses said they ate lunch together often and were seen together alot. He felt guilty because he knew they were not supposed to eat together without others (no male and female together alone unless married to each other.) They fired both of them. In my state they were fired with cause because the broke policy and he couldn't get unemployment.
My mom was very close to both of them and tried to stand up for him to say he was the victim. They were both fired and they had never even hugged.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 05:38PM

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 05:40PM

I saw a job fair invite recently that had the church listed as one of the employer-attendees. All of the jobs listed were IT; programming, web design, SEO, etc... There are several people in my ward that have recently moved in that are working on web projects for the church. I'm assuming they're paying them well based on the jobs they left and where they live.

They sure seem to be spending a lot of money on their web-presence. How long are these jobs going to last? If these efforts don't stop the bleeding, is the church going to come out with an addition to the D&C..."The internet is evil, thus saith the Lord. No servant that useth the internet is fit to enter My house or My kingdumb!"

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 08:22PM

The only pros I would write down about my job with the Church were the lovely people that I worked with. I did the best I could for their sakes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.