Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 02:35PM

In this thread, the OP didn't realize that Mormons (of the mainstream variety whose prophet is currently Thomas Monson) still believe in polygamy:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1048666

It is not surprising the some of the younger generation of Mormons don't know this as church leaders have tried to shy away from this in the past decades. However, it is still part of the "meat" and part of the foundation of Mormonism.

Here's a Latter-day of example of polygamy that is happening right now:

Women like my MIL will be second wives in the next life. Her hubby was married and sealed to a woman who died of cancer : (. My MIL was sealed to him a few years ago. He is now sealed to two woman. This bothers my MIL a lot. It's distressing. She believes she will be the second wife for all eternity. Stupid cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 02:39PM by Queen of Denial.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 02:55PM

Yep. Dallin Oaks is a perfect example. In 1952, he was married to a woman named June Dixon and they were sealed for all eternity. She died in 1998. In 2000, he married another woman, named Kristen McMain, and was also sealed to her for all eternity. Of course, legally this is no problem, since his first wife was dead, but if you believe in an afterlife, then he will be sealed to two women when they all pass on. Polygamy is still alive and well within Mormonism. It isn't practiced in this life, due to legal/PR issues, but they believe it will be in full effect in the next life.

Also, many Mormons believe that the "doctrine" of polygamy will be restored when Jesus returns, which, of course, is always right around the corner...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 02:57PM by nickname.

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 03:07PM

Yeah, they do believe in polygamy.

However, it's difficult to say that, since a lot of mormons don't know these things. Perhaps a better way to phrase it is "Polygamy is still part of church doctrine", since the church has successfully hidden this from a lot of the members.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 03:10PM

Absolutely. There's no denying it...any TBM that does deny it isn't being honest with themselves. Brigham Young taught that the father (Adam) and Jesus were both polygamists...it's an eternal principle. Women will apparently outnumber men in the celestial kingdom 20-1...maybe more...D&C 132 says that Solomon's 1000 wives and concubines were justified...

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 03:12PM

I disagree. Some mormons will deny it simply because they don't know about it, rather than them being dishonest. How are they supposed to know about polygamy in the Celestial Kingdom, etc. if the church leaders hide it from them?

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: October 10, 2013 03:33PM

Yes they Definitely believe in it or at least those who 'in the know' of real doctrines believe in it and acknowledge it as doctrine/truth etc.

The local ward bishop told me he expected to be 'awarded' extra wives in CK for his obedience/faithfulness/commitment to the gospel etc. He's tried to discuss this with his current earthly sealed wife but she tears her hair out each time so it's not discussed.

He had summoned me into the office to discuss my questions which were rattling some of the local ward members/investigators. I told him about a few 'things' I had discovered that are troubling me and he replied with " Whaaat, where have you seen that, I've never heard that stuff before".

So much for being encouraged to ask questions when I first started investigating 18 months prior. lol

Posted by: Al Pratt ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:52PM

When the topic of Mormon polygamy arises, it is not unusual for defenders to attempt setting the record straight by putting forth the mainstream church's official position. Trouble is, the official position is a sanitized, disingenuous one. Indeed, the church's Q&A page re polygamy on Mormon dot org is a showcase of equivocation and obfuscation. It is, as Bill Clinton once put it, "misleading" although "literally true." Were the church to come clean, it would admit that it defends its prior practice of polygamy as God-mandated; that it claims there is polygamy in Heaven; that Mormon doctrine suggests that God Himself has a wife and may Himself be a polygamist; that the Mormon God reserves the right to reinstate polygamy whenever He pleases; and that most contemporary polygamist Mormon splinter groups take their doctrines and practices from those of the early mainstream Mormon church.

The book "It's Not About the Sex My A**" by ex-polygamist wife Joanne Hanks does a good job explaining much of the above. (Google the title, it's an enjoyable read and easy to find.) Also read Section 132 of the book "Doctrine and Covenants," (also easy to find via google) which the Mormons regard as scripture; it is the original "revelation" to Mormon Church founder Joseph Smith wherein God states that taking multiple wives is no less than a "commandment."

Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 12:58PM

The best evidence is the Official Declaration contained in the mormon scriptures. In it, the mormon prophet talks about the practical issues that would arise if the church doesn't back down and accept U.S. law: all of the leaders would go to jail, and the church would cease to exist. These were purely practical considerations. What is absent from mormon scripture is any indication that the doctrine CHANGED, and as such, the original docrine in D and C 132 remains in effect. Polygamy is the marriage of the CK, and anyone who doesn't have a polygamous marriage is not going to live in the CK.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 01:48PM

"Polygamy is the marriage of the CK, and anyone who doesn't have a polygamous marriage is not going to live in the CK."

That is not still doctrine for those living today although it seems it was doctrine for those earlier who were commanded to live it.

Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 01:50PM

That is how I interpret 132. Basically, the doctrine is dormant, but still valid.

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 01:57PM

Yeah I get it. You can't really prosecute polygs. Here in Utah the polygamist community lives openly. There is absolutley no threat to their lifestyle.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 02:25PM

Where do these GA's find their second wives? Is there a courtship, date, what? I thought they were running around all over the world opening temples, having conferences, speaking to missionaries.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 02:29PM

I'm a polygamist in that I was sealed to two very wonderful women.

I fully expected to live with both of them in the next life.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 02:40PM

What do TBM wives do in the CK while waiting for husbands, make CK Lime Jell-O? They can't make funeral potatoes because, well, they're already dead.

Hell, there's a question right there, if a woman can't get into the CK without her husband calling her, how does she get there first to wait for him?

Posted by: Wild&Wonderful ( )
Date: October 15, 2013 03:48PM

Of course they do, but in my experience they aren't usually open about it to adult converts until you're --way in--. But, like usual - they might Deny Anything, when confronted with the Truth. (I can almost hear the giggle, snicker, snort : fake smile/ then shun the exmo....)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.